EV Powertrains.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Besides raising kids and trying adapt to my injuries, I've been playing with Electric Vehicle technology. A few years ago, I wanted to run an electric high boost supercharger on a Duramax. I was going to run a 50kW electric motor, 200lb Lithium battery, and a Ford Cobra supercharger off electricity.

I obviously did not finish that.

I'm trying to learn everything I can about EV technology though. I do believe it's the future of high performance, and a solid match to diesel technology. Heck, submarines and locomotives have been doing it for 70 years.

We now have 2013 and 2016 Chevrolet Volt cars that are run almost purely off electricity. These are the cars our 2 teen drivers use.

It's time to turn Casper into a 1000HP Diesel0Electric Locomotive. I know it can be done. I have the parts. But I'm not smart enough yet.

This is going to be the future. Not to Save The Fooking Whales, but to get more performance. Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren, and others have already done it for PERFORMANCE.

It's time for the diesel hotrodders to move into this technology as the next big step.

This is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree, it won't hurt my feelings. :D

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I think you may be onto something. It's scary to see how vehicles have changed in the last 20 years and where they're headed.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You will need an electric motor at each wheel. This will completely take the strain of the drive train.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Mike, I'm thinking I can push 200HP to the front tires with EV and 400 ftlbs.

Then the diesel engine pushes 800HP to the rear tires.

When you hit the brakes, the front wheels regenerate electricity to recharge the batteries, and you can also plug it into a 120v wall outlet or a common L2 240v EV charger.

Your 1000HP pickup will get an effective 50 mpge on your daily commute, but be able to throw down 10 second ET's if asked.

I just need $10 million dollars to prove I'm right. :D

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
.1000HP Diesel0Electric Locomotive.

I've been dreaming about this for years.

I keep going back and forth between using a duramax mated to a generator or turbine engines, something like an APU for starting larger turbines.

space can get tricky, trying to add a generator and one or two electric motors, batteries or supercapacitors and a drive controller.

the good thing is that many electric motors can be pushed 10x their rated HP for short periods of time, maybe even 20x if your are bold. that means a 50hp electric motor on the front diff and one on the rear for a total of 100HP can make 1000HP for a drag strip or sled pull.

the other great benefit is that the 1000 HP is available throughout most of the RPM range of the motor. that means no need for boosted or power braking launches.

in theory, an electric motor makes its peak torque at all RPMs so the need for a transmission and shifting could be eliminated too. the electric motors could likely be connected via the drive shaft directly to the differentials.

for charging the battery bank, the engine/generator would only need to provide the average use of the needed electrical current. in stop and go city driving, the engine could likely just idle and recharge the batteries while at a stop light, then during acceleration the motors draw from the batteries and the engine never changes RPM. the engine could be tuned for maximum efficiency like this. also, decelerating could help recharge the batteries too

the only problem i have, where do i get a grant to develop one :D

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Let's concentrate on the front diff then. There's a company in Torrance that makes a 120V generator that fits under the hood. It could conceivably run an electric motor to spin the front diff. Just thinking out loud. Just remember; I don't know shit about this stuff.:D

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
your typical induction motor can be backwards driven at slightly more than nameplate RPM to produce a generator. simple. the issue is the narrow RPM band at which it will generate

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Trusting nameplate RPM is dangerous business :roflmao:

Induction motor wouldn't be my choice though, they slip and can't guarantee a controlled output. They also make crappy generators when powered, poor efficient and very lousy frequency.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
frequency would be irrelevant if your are rectifying it DC to charge batteries. I do admit it is not the best option but for a simple prototype it works

side note, all electrical generators slip due to the magnetic coupling. some more then others

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
frequency would be irrelevant if your are rectifying it DC to charge batteries. I do admit it is not the best option but for a simple prototype it works

side note, all electrical generators slip due to the magnetic coupling. some more then others

True, but if its gonna be a fancy EV vehicle, you can about frequency. Gotta ramp that shaft speed up in control

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I ain't got a clue about any of this but I'm glad to see Pat posting and of course I love learning about new things such as this. I'll just be over here watching. Carry on. :cool:

Pat, what parts do you have or think it'll take to do it the way you think it'll need to be done?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
if I was doing it, I would do something like this

Attachments

• 2016-chevrolet-silverado-2500-heavy-duty-mo-updates-723x227-01.jpg
    2016-chevrolet-silverado-2500-heavy-duty-mo-updates-723x227-01.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 74

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Generator being a direct source of power for drive motor or just supplementing battery pack?

Either way, generator would be massive if powering drive motor

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Generator being a direct source of power for drive motor or just supplementing battery pack?

Either way, generator would be massive if powering drive motor

Direct drive to generator to drive the electric motor and charge the battery pack. It wouldn't need to be massave. Just larger then the average power draw. Lets just say 50 HP. That would be about 45kw taken into account some efficiency loses. That size generator is not too large. When using more power then that it will pull from the battery pack. When using less it will charge the pack. If the pack is full then the load on the generator will be less and the fuel used will go down

Not really much different then how some electric/gas hybrids work. There may be a bit too much efficiency losses to make this more efficient then the current design but it does have the potential of instant power on tap (no turbo lag) and charging at home if using it for short daily driving

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Rode in a customers P90D with the insane package last night. Holy sheet! It hit 60 in about 150 yards and didn't make a sound, it was nuts. Needless to say I'm going to buy a P65 now, Wish I could afford that 90 though.

I couldn't agree with you more McRat, it's definitely the future of high performance...

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
The 3 diesel generators I've worked with/on, two were 10000 hp enterprise/delavals which ran at 450 rpm and were rated for 7.7 MW and an EMD two stroke tandem arrangement which ran at 900 rpm and was rated for 3.3 MW

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk