EFI Live

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
EFI Live seems to be the resonating choice with Duramax owners. So I have to ask a question. If I really don't plan on toying with tuning and tweaking my truck all the time, would it be more beneficial to just send my ECM to someone and have it flashed? I guess my big question would be what if I did not like the tunes they flashed on, OR what happens if you suddenly get an error code on your truck? Without the scan tool, it is not possible to read the code or return your truck to "stock"? I know my questions may be basic to you guys, but I really want to make the best choice when I get ready to buy.

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Id go with EFI and maybe get a DSP 2 switch and switch from a custom tune or stock then you could decide if you want just a tow tune or a small street tune or get a DSP5 switch and have more of a variety ... that is just my uneducated response :)

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I think its better to have the v2 that way you can return to stock if need be or if you decided that you have been bitten by the horsepower bug and want to go further you can.Another option is to buy another ecm and send it in to be flashed and keep the original to reinstall incase your truck goes to the dealer for any work because if the deal wipes the ecm clean to reset i believe you just lost your tune.with the v2 you can log your runs and e mail your log or your tune to the other side of the country have someone write you a tune e mail back and you can install it.Its an awesome tool :D

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
I think its better to have the v2 that way you can return to stock if need be or if you decided that you have been bitten by the horsepower bug and want to go further you can.Another option is to buy another ecm and send it in to be flashed and keep the original to reinstall incase your truck goes to the dealer for any work because if the deal wipes the ecm clean to reset i believe you just lost your tune.with the v2 you can log your runs and e mail your log or your tune to the other side of the country have someone write you a tune e mail back and you can install it.Its an awesome tool :D

Okay, so if you keep the stock ECM, buy the v2 tool, and someone is nice enough to provide you with tunes to load, is there a way to save these tunes to a library? I mean if the ECM was wiped clean, could you just re-install the same tunes as long as you have them saved like on your laptop or something? I have not messed with any type of tuning tool since back in 07 when I had a Power Commander for my Suzuki King Quad.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Okay, so if you keep the stock ECM, buy the v2 tool, and someone is nice enough to provide you with tunes to load, is there a way to save these tunes to a library? I mean if the ECM was wiped clean, could you just re-install the same tunes as long as you have them saved like on your laptop or something? I have not messed with any type of tuning tool since back in 07 when I had a Power Commander for my Suzuki King Quad.
I am getting used to mine and yes as far as i understand as long as there is a copy in your v2 file in the lap top you can install uninstall at will

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I would go with a PPE handheld in your case.

It can do data display, read/reset codes, change speedo for tires, and has up to 10 power levels. It is capable of ~500rwhp when set to kill on a stock turbo truck.