Edge products fined by Epa

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
its not as bad here but they are still gonna take away our tuners because they are made in the U.S.A or so i would guess. i know here in ontario if the mto gets you for no dpf its a fine of 5000 and a tow until it is back stock.

Doubt it.
Until Environment Canada or Transport Canada gets the funding and authority to start federally regulating vehicle emissions and enforcing them, we are in the clear and it will be left to a provincially regulated level. And right now the gov't is more worried about indian's and an election more than anything. We should be safe for awhile.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I'll make it clear that I do not support the EPA, especially since I am a dairy farmer, however I do think people really need to understand the emissions systems better before bashing them. Too many just jump on the bandwagon with hate the EPA etc. Its like teasing the bully, hes gonna beat your ass the more you pick on him.

what i find funny is the hole dpf filter yeah it collects emmissions and holds them so u drive clean but when it regens then u just burn out everything in the filter so yeah while u drove 1000 miles clean as soon as u hit regen bam everything ur trying to keep in is out in the atmosphere yeah its BURNED out but u never see a emmission test done while the truck is regening then lets talk about clean air and see what really comes out

The DPF doesn't release anything. It holds all of the PM in it. When it goes into regen, it reduces the sizes of the particles and they all get collected and trapped into the media while other non pollutant products are expelled. There is always buildup left, and every regen builds more up.

Think of it this way. The soot coming out of your motor is like snow. It gets trapped and stacks up deep. Then you hit it with a flame and melt it down into water which takes up much less space. However after soo much snow, the bowl is filled with water and needs to be emptied.

Its a terrible analogie but I hope it makes some sense.

Haven't seen any mention or studies that detail the extra fuel that is burnt to perform the regen. Nor have I seen any studies on the extra polloution from fuel producers, to supply the extra fuel that is needlessly burnt.
Where are those studies Mr. EPA??

Heres the thing. The DPF removes over 90% of the PM. So you would need to burn a lot of extra fuel to even come close to having higher emissions than before the DPF.

On the grand scale I just don't see it either. Fuel is moved very efficiently as it is so adding a couple percent isn't going to offset the reductions in PM the DPF's generate.

If we skip the 07-10 era of all diesels, and fast forward to the newer ones with SCR. The fuel economy for the power that they have is actually pretty decent. Class 8 semis are now getting back into high 7s with 8mpgs in sight on some of them.

I work for a truck and equipment dealer as a Tech. Curious to me when a Dpf filter gets cleaned (which we dont do yet) the polution created when they get cleaned ! Were does that go MR. EPA ????????????????

It goes to a hazardous waste disposal site. aka landfill, but then it is trapped and not in the air.

yes i know and u are correct but like everything were u there to see the results of this 90% clean i sure wasnt im just saying they claim it 90% clean but i dont see how it can be 90% everytime espically if u use ur truck for like farming ect yeah mabey if all u did was run down the highway but if ur useing ur truck hard i dont see it being a clean burn everytime

Think of the DPF as an air filter. It filters 99% of the dirt and such out. it doesn't matter what you are doing with your truck, its a filter, its always filtering to a certain level. Thats they way the DPF works. There is a certain size that can pass through it and that size stays the same no matter what. The engine may burn cleaner or dirtier with your driving but the DPF just keeps filtering. That is why it is recommended to not idle the trucks.

what i think is even more ****ed up is, edge / h&s / whoever else has probably gave their mailing list and what products they sold to whoever to the EPA as well so that the EPA can go after the consumer and possibly lessen the impact on them (edge / h&s / whoever!)

Doesn't sound like they want to. In the article it said Edge had to offer to buy the products back. The EPA doesn't have the manpower right now to deal with thousands of individual cases. They just want the big fish with the big dollars.

I'm not looking forward to seeing how this will impact things like sled pulling and other off road events we all love

CARB tried to shut down the pulling circuit on the west coast once when someone from there went to a tractor pull for the first time. They responded with "you'll have to shut down NASCAR then". After some dispute, the pulls were resumed before the next weekend.

Face it. Pulling doesn't generate a ton of income for them if any. NASCAR on the other hand seems to draw every person out of the woodwork for whatever reason. Running 20-30 800hp motors for 500 miles is a little worse than running a pulling tractor or truck for 10-15 seconds.

Apparently we are the only ones that remember that e-mail from a while ago...;) Clint... er I mean Mackin:rofl:

I almost forgot about that ordeal.

Where do they draw the line? Trust me. It sucks for all of us but what would happen if people started doing deletes on semis, farm and construction equipment? Then next thing you know we back to stage 1. Why should we be able to not run dpf and everyone else does?

Theres thousands of semis with delete kits installed. They are pricey to do. Generally you'll spend $5,000 to remove the DPF, EGR and get it tuned and running properly.

Some people are doing it to their tractors as well.

So you guys blame EPA ( which I cannot stand ) for this and go on to place the blame on other vendors. H&S was confronted by EPA after their stupid video of an LML blowing big time smoke on a public hyway. They were told to stop and their answer was FU. Why would the other vendors do this? EPA doesn't make deals.
I have pm's from H&S calling me the biggest asshole that ever lived when I told them they should not have made that LML video public. They said I was a paranoid MF. They called me stupid. I told them that they compromised the whole diesel industry and they told me to FO.
Now I hope they burn in hell.

I've never really cared for H&S as they seemed to become popular for the sheer fact they had an easy DPF delete system with tunes that made smoke.

Not many fans in those bleachers that I count compared to the NRHA racing today. I'm getting a Camaro and making a runner from it because the diesel problem makers are ruining the diesel format into an EPA trap.

I hate breathing diesel smoke but its a little easier on the eyes and nostrils than Nitro is.

oh I see what you mean, I still think in LB7 lol. I know Rob has been tuning a shop truck with the DPF still on. I could see a track only Y pipe that you can undo for off road use only. Or maybe some sort of propane injection for the regen.

Diesel fuel works good for the regen. You don't want to have to drag around a propane tank too.

The technology for the regen setups is getting better.

Volvo gets flamed a lot for their off road system due to its complexity, but it works damn good and reduces the time between off the machine cleanings. They use a high pressure blower along with the diesel to generate a flamethrower. Looks just like an afterburner on a jet.

In the meantime, enjoy the LML for what it is....a good towing truck.

Exactly. I wouldn't want to give our LML any more power than it has. we pull big trailers, but its still plenty for a pickup. I mean we generally gross 36k or so but have gone higher to over 40k. LML is rated at 397 and 765. Our Kenworth for hauling milk @ 80,000lbs has a C13 ACERT rated at 430hp and 1650tq. Now that were pulling some 9% grades though I think its time for the Euro file (500hp). Granted yea its the torque that counts, and really makes that thing fun to drive. All of the power comes on at around 1250 and you run it up to 1550 or so. The ACERT's run more on the Miller cycle versus the Otto cycle, they hold the intake valve open longer to let cylinder pressure out, but then use the twin turbos to boost early and create pressure fast. That motor makes 50psi+ where our other 435 N14 Cummins makes 30 and the Detroit does 25 or so.

Look at our most powerful row crop tractor that pulls manure down the road at 120,000 or so. 350hp and 900tq IIRC.

The LML has a lot of power in my opinion. Its very laggy if you do not adapt to the way it likes to be driven, but it has plenty of power, and without traction control would really be bad on the road.

Maybe I am getting old though.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
edge got fined a year ago actually it just got made public, but i think its bs the federal govt is doing this though efi live smoke tunes are way worse the anything edge or h&s ever could make smoke wise i've installed and run them all edge and h&s have clean tunes little puff but when your getting good throttle response its a give for a little smoke but i guess it dont matter anymore its done just total bullshit

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
Sorry guys slow one this one, and there is a ton of info that I didn't read through, but in the quote below the EPA isn't happy with wood burning stoves?? All the wood burning stoves in the world don't equal one massive forest fire and we have thousands every year...maybe we should cut down all the trees so they don't burn. This bleeding heart, liberal BS is amazing, more "Greenhouse" gasses (and I quotation that cuz the climate shifts regardless of what we do, hence ICE AGE) are released in one volcanic eruption than North American cars have since inception... ok, I believe in stopping water pollution, I believe in Heavy Industry lowering emissions, but all the guys with edges putting their DPFs back on, seriously, that's like sneezing on the forest fire to put it out. How about the EPA starts fighting fires and working on volcanic release emissions instead of putting their feet on the throats of the little guy...oh yeah, cuz that stuff is hard work...I forgot. AL GORE CAN SUCK MY DIESEL BELCHING SOOT COVERED PIPE!! Luckily he's from down south LOL :canada: ...but that goes for David Suzuki too...PM me for Details LOL

"Edge is also required to spend at least $157,600 to implement an emission mitigation project to offset the excess PM emissions that it caused. Edge will use the additional funds to offer rebates to individuals who own old wood-burning stoves and who wish to replace them with cleaner burning appliances such as new pellet stoves or EPA-certified wood stove"

mpeters0991

Aug 17, 2010
Southeast Iowa
Sorry guys slow one this one, and there is a ton of info that I didn't read through, but in the quote below the EPA isn't happy with wood burning stoves?? All the wood burning stoves in the world don't equal one massive forest fire and we have thousands every year...maybe we should cut down all the trees so they don't burn. This bleeding heart, liberal BS is amazing, more "Greenhouse" gasses (and I quotation that cuz the climate shifts regardless of what we do, hence ICE AGE) are released in one volcanic eruption than North American cars have since inception... ok, I believe in stopping water pollution, I believe in Heavy Industry lowering emissions, but all the guys with edges putting their DPFs back on, seriously, that's like sneezing on the forest fire to put it out. How about the EPA starts fighting fires and working on volcanic release emissions instead of putting their feet on the throats of the little guy...oh yeah, cuz that stuff is hard work...I forgot. AL GORE CAN SUCK MY DIESEL BELCHING SOOT COVERED PIPE!! Luckily he's from down south LOL :canada: ...but that goes for David Suzuki too...PM me for Details LOL

"Edge is also required to spend at least $157,600 to implement an emission mitigation project to offset the excess PM emissions that it caused. Edge will use the additional funds to offer rebates to individuals who own old wood-burning stoves and who wish to replace them with cleaner burning appliances such as new pellet stoves or EPA-certified wood stove"

I agree with you man. When yous start bitching about wood burning stoves, it has really gone to far. I know down here I was hearing that the EPA was wanting to put vacuum systems on combines because of all the dust they were creating. :doh:

If we skip the 07-10 era of all diesels, and fast forward to the newer ones with SCR. The fuel economy for the power that they have is actually pretty decent. Class 8 semis are now getting back into high 7s with 8mpgs in sight on some of them.
I believe I heard over in Germany that Mercedes has a truck that got 11mpg. Not sure what kind of emissions that has but it is very impressive regardless.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
Whether the people blowing smoke out their tailpipes caused this lockdown is not relevant. If we as diesel owners want to blow smoke we should be allowed. And if u don't want to than that's your preference. I'm tired of this clean tune shit. A "dirty diesel truck" is not adding to any sort of climate warming. It is so minute in the scheme of the imprint we as humans leave on this planet that it baffles me to think anyone would think otherwise. Just because a law or restriction is made does not necessarily make that restriction correct. THis is America and if u want to smoke from your driveway to the office then do it. How about we focus on something of much greater importance . I say f um. I'll pay the fines. At least I'm happy. And if smoke makes a person happy then by all means. Nobody goes to a diesel event to see diesels that don't smoke. And if someone tells me they do. Your a fing liar. And a tree hugger with no leg to stand on.

greif03lb7

cc/lb and lovin it
Dec 9, 2012
Granger, Ia
Epa is a bunch of tree hugin hippys makes me wanna blow smoke right up there ass and into there kids faces. Everything I own beside the wifes car and my 97 chevy wouldnt pass a smog test but idk ill go green if it helps me but it never will. They will never be able to stop ppl from smoking there tires atleast.

mpeters0991

Aug 17, 2010
Southeast Iowa
Whether the people blowing smoke out their tailpipes caused this lockdown is not relevant. If we as diesel owners want to blow smoke we should be allowed. And if u don't want to than that's your preference. I'm tired of this clean tune shit. A "dirty diesel truck" is not adding to any sort of climate warming. It is so minute in the scheme of the imprint we as humans leave on this planet that it baffles me to think anyone would think otherwise. Just because a law or restriction is made does not necessarily make that restriction correct. THis is America and if u want to smoke from your driveway to the office then do it. How about we focus on something of much greater importance . I say f um. I'll pay the fines. At least I'm happy. And if smoke makes a person happy then by all means. Nobody goes to a diesel event to see diesels that don't smoke. And if someone tells me they do. Your a fing liar. And a tree hugger with no leg to stand on.

You should contact Longhorn Fag shop, they would love to have you as a spokesman

This is the kind of attitude that ruins shit and makes it harder for people who have to make a living using diesel engine because it does nothing but make diesels look terrible. Believe me I am completely against the EPA but for the love of God don't be a ****ing idiot. This kind of thinking is the definition of "diesel ricer"

Last edited:

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND

I go to watch trucks run, and for me to see how to push my all around truck harder. I work very hard to make it run clean. You don't have a right to go out and pour smoke just like I don't have a right to buy the land next to your house and dump hazmat there and tell you to shove it, its my land and I can do what I want

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
You should contact Longhorn Fag shop, they would love to have you as a spokesman

This is the kind of attitude that ruins shit and makes it harder for people who have to make a living using diesel engine because it does nothing but make diesels look terrible. Believe me I am completely against the EPA but for the love of God don't be a ****ing idiot. This kind of thinking is the definition of "diesel ricer"

Hey chachi if u can't keep your posts from being directed to a individual keep your mouth shut. That's my opinion if u don't like it too bad. Every part of my day involves diesel engines. The mainpont is its supposed to be a free country and if u want to blow smoke then by all means. I don't like seeing douche bags with pants around there knees either but they have yet to outlaw that. So I have to deal with it. Final consensus smoke don't hurt the environment it's a scapegoat to be used against us to make people think someone is doing a job that really has no purpose. U sound like an example of what's wrong with this country. Another pushover that's gonna lay down and let the govt. have it's way. It's a judgement matter. It's no diff than the govt tell me I can't have 30 round magazines. Give me a good reason cause I have yet to see one. And yes as diesel enthusiasts in the sport we are more into the technical side of the events we partake in with our vehicles but Bob and Bill joe blow come to see smoke. It adds to he show. Why do u think diesel classes are growing in populararity and gasses are fading away? Because they don't shoot fireworks as they Barrel down the track. It's a show piece and everyone knows it.

Last edited:

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
I go to watch trucks run, and for me to see how to push my all around truck harder. I work very hard to make it run clean. You don't have a right to go out and pour smoke just like I don't have a right to buy the land next to your house and dump hazmat there and tell you to shove it, its my land and I can do what I want

You make a point yes u don't have a right to dump hazmat. And I appreciate your effort to build clean tunes if u desire. That is your decision and by all means I don't judge. But any educated person knows soot is by know means hazardous waste. We all know it's bark is more harmful than its bite.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
Someone's right to blow smoke is no different then someone's right to break the speedlimit. As long as u are prepared to handle the consequences than knock yourself out. 18 year old kids don't decide to bye diesel trucks hoping to run clean tunes. They want to be obnoxious. And I don't know about others areas but n the east the younger age groups are what are making this sport more and more popular and what continues to feed this industry much more than the older generation.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

You know, its funny....I started to realize that we were all part of the problem a while ago. These kids who love smoke tunes nowadays probably got their opinions started watching trucks at pulls or races blowing huge clouds like locomotives. (I know I thought that was pretty impressive a few years ago.)
When these kids were finally old enough to buy a diesel truck, they immediately wanted it to run like those badass trucks they saw at the pulls/races in the past. They made no distinction between being at an event and being on public roads....smoke was the only important thing to them. So the EPA steps in because we couldnt "keep it at the track".

I'd love it if my truck didnt smoke so much at the track, esp at launch. If I could find some way to turn that smoke into a few more hp Id be a happy man. What John Kennedy said to me about using two tunes in combination at the track, and also running an S475 with the stocker, I think that would cut the smoke down.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Someone's right to blow smoke is no different then someone's right to break the speedlimit. As long as u are prepared to handle the consequences than knock yourself out. 18 year old kids don't decide to bye diesel trucks hoping to run clean tunes. They want to be obnoxious. And I don't know about others areas but n the east the younger age groups are what are making this sport more and more popular and what continues to feed this industry much more than the older generation.

Nobody likes a bad influence feeding their pockets. Thats why bars kick out drunks.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
You make a point yes u don't have a right to dump hazmat. And I appreciate your effort to build clean tunes if u desire. That is your decision and by all means I don't judge. But any educated person knows soot is by know means hazardous waste. We all know it's bark is more harmful than its bite.

Soot sure makes me feel worse than many other hazardous chemicals........

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

You are an idiot. It's stupid people like you that caused all these stupid laws to be written. You seem to have a 12 year olds brain and the sad thing is you will probably die with that 12 year old brain at an old age.:rolleyes: