Edge CTS2 questions and a problem

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
You sure you got the insight monitor only? They aren't 500 is why I'm curious all a sudden..
That is why I asked this
(BELOW)
Does the unit you have plug into the dlc under the dash only or does it plug in under the hood as well?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I bet it's a tuner that plugs into the bulk connectors under the hood. And even if he's leaving it on "stock" those boxes under the hood still do weird shit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TheGryme

Nov 10, 2020
SoCal Mountains (Wrightwood)
Mine sucks ass too, it looses comunication with the truck daily and I have to reboot it...
I know this is an old thread, but did you ever resolve your CTS2 issues? I'm starting to go nuts trying to determine WTF is going on with my LBZ and the CTS2.
I posted in the Mike L's Trans talk section, if you're interested.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I know this is an old thread, but did you ever resolve your CTS2 issues? I'm starting to go nuts trying to determine WTF is going on with my LBZ and the CTS2.
I posted in the Mile L's Trans talk section, if you're interested.
What happens with the truck when you pull the CTS out and return to stock? Thats the first thing you need to do.

I moved your thread back into Tuning.

TheGryme

Nov 10, 2020
What happens with the truck when you pull the CTS out and return to stock? Thats the first thing you need to do.

I moved your thread back into Tuning.
I put the truck back to the stock tune....CTS2 still goes to sleep.....it'll clear the U0101 codes (there are many of them) but as soon as I shut down and restart, the CEL is back on. I also replaced the TCM with a new, pre-programed Ryan's Diesel Service unit last night. I really thought that was going to be the answer. Nope! This morning I used my old scan gage to clear the code and drove without the CTS2. It runs ok, but not great like on the performance tune. Once again the CEL ( U0101) comes back on after a shut down and the truck runs like it may almost be in limp mode. I'm thinking this has got to be some wiring issue. Any help will be appreciated, I'm getting bummed out.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
The one I had ended being a junk radio adapter for a aftermarket radio. It caused all kinds of ECM, TCM, ABS, Cluster communication codes, dash would stop working, and a dead pedal to. It was intermittent also and took forever to figure out, I swapped ECM, TCM, Cluster checked the wiring numerous times ect it kicked my ass lol and it wasn't even my truck so that made life even tougher to.

TheGryme

Nov 10, 2020
The one I had ended being a junk radio adapter for a aftermarket radio. It caused all kinds of ECM, TCM, ABS, Cluster communication codes, dash would stop working, and a dead pedal to. It was intermittent also and took forever to figure out, I swapped ECM, TCM, Cluster checked the wiring numerous times ect it kicked my ass lol and it wasn't even my truck so that made life even tougher to.
WoW.....the aftermarket radio was causing the issues? Great. Mine came with a Kenwood thing with all kinds of video in the headrests, backup camera and none of it works very well. I have an all new interface for the steering wheel buttons to work correctly that I'll be installing soon.
I kinda think mine is a wiring issue...it's gotten worse and it does it with or without the CTS2 in it. I've read the harness has a couple of known places that it gets f'd up easily. I'll start there and at the tranny electrical connections. Thanks for the input.

TheGryme

Nov 10, 2020
It was the adapter for the steering wheel buttons and door chime.
Hmmmm.....it looks like I might be doing the stereo upgrade sooner than I planned. My steering wheel buttons are all jacked up. It would be nice if that is the issue. Kill two birds with one fix! I was reading the info on your 04 truck. It sounds badass! Do you have HP numbers you want to share? Just wonderin'....Thanks for the info again.

TheGryme

Nov 10, 2020
No I don't it's never been on a dyno or a track, it's not much 100's inj are tiny now days and I wanted to keep it useable.
It sounds like a blast to drive!
I think today I'm going to tear into my dash and stereo issues as well as check all the wiring and connections on my trans and on to the ECM and TCM.
Damn, I really want to get this fixed.
My mileage has dropped and it's a bummer seeing several hundreds of bucks sitting on the dash doing nothing (the CTS2).

Last edited:

TheGryme

Nov 10, 2020
SOLVED!!!!!!!!
I can't believe it......the CTS2/ TCM/ U0101 BS I've been dealing with...was a LOOSE 10 AMP FUSE IN THE CAB!!!!!!!
UN-BELIEVABLE!!!
I started from scratch and started with looking at anything connected to the TCM......starting with the batteries voltages.
They seemed a little low and I was about to replace them.
Then I checked the fuses under the hood.
Took them all out and cleaned everyone of them and made sure they seated good.
Then I checked the the various connections from the tranny forward.
Still....no good.....CEL was still being thrown and a U0101.
Crap.
Finally I checked the fuses inside the cab....
Holy shit......the 10 AMP fuse directly connected to the TCM was hanging out of it's socket!!!!!!!
Wow!!!!!!!!
How crazy is that?
Anyways..my truck is back to normal and I'm quite pleased.
My next step was going to be taking it to a $hop....
Hot Damn!
Merry Christmas EveryBody!!!!!!

Reactions: gmc502