Edge CTS2 questions and a problem

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Called Edge this morning and kept my cool with them. Turned out, the unit needed an update. Got it updated, everything is fine now. BUT- The real test is going to be tomorrow morning. It's only given me these problems when I first crank up in the morning. We shall see. If it messes up again, I'm repeating what I did to reset the computer and sending that thing back. I've read too many stories about those things frying ECM's.

Thanks for the input guys! Next step on the truck is going to be a Transgo Jr. I'll probably have the shop do it though because if anything, I do not feel comfortable working on the tranny.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
If you read so many problems people had with it then why would you pay $500 doll hairs to fry your ecm? Dont get me wrong, im sorry you had these issues but I love my cts2. Just wish it was bigger. I guess its just funny/crazy to me you couldn’t wait for it to show up on your doorstep. Then it gives you a hiccup and you completely bash it. Idk its just funny is all. It does suck for the headache it gave you and I KNOW how it feels. Hopefully that update works for you cause once you get that thing sorted out it’s pretty cool.:hug:

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
If you read so many problems people had with it then why would you pay $500 doll hairs to fry your ecm? Dont get me wrong, im sorry you had these issues but I love my cts2. Just wish it was bigger. I guess its just funny/crazy to me you couldn’t wait for it to show up on your doorstep. Then it gives you a hiccup and you completely bash it. Idk its just funny is all. It does suck for the headache it gave you and I KNOW how it feels. Hopefully that update works for you cause once you get that thing sorted out it’s pretty cool.:hug:
I read reviews and what not before I got it. Seems like everyone swears by them. Didn't really look up about them frying ECM's until this stuff started happening. You have every reason to laugh at that because I was extremely excited to get one! Second guessing now

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool little unit! Monitors all kinds of stuff. I really do like it. I don't like the fact though that it got to messing with the truck's computer. It's okay now, but again... If it decides to act funny tomorrow morning, I'm ripping it off, and it's going back. It didn't mess with the way the truck ran, it was more electrical stuff.. Like I said earlier, all the dash lights and even the little orange lights on the A/C button were really dim, but eventually got up to normal, A/C stopped working all together, blinkers stopped working, 3 DTC's, etc.. The thing that really got me worried and made me want to diagnose is the fact that my RPM gauge started going completely wild. If I see anything abnormal at all tomorrow when I go to start it, no more Edge for me. I'd love to have a monitor like that on the truck, but I'm not risking it if it starts acting up again. I can sell that thing and use the $$$ to get my Transgo Jr.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Hopefully it works out for you. At least the truck still runs. Back in the day the old juice/attitude used to get hot in the summer time and the truck would just die. It didn’t matter if you were in a parking lot or the first one at a red light at a busy intersection. You had to pop the hood and disconnect it. Edge customer service was always great but after the third unit I switched to a PPE hot+2et. Then of course on to efilive after that. Maybe irrelevant to the story just felt like sharing.

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Well, sure enough, started acting wonky again this morning. Unplugged it, started back up , back to normal. Calling Edge tomorrow. Either need to exchange my unit or get rid of it.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
We install many many edge units. Never had a issue like you are explaining. When we do see issues it's usually something on the truck side. Edge has the best customer service in the industry. How did your batteries end up checking out? Have you tried unit on different vehicle?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Thanks for combining.. I apologize for the multiple posts, it's just a problem after another...

Update- This morning started up, everything was fine. Drove a few miles, and I noticed when I had cruise control on, the RPM gauge would start bouncing up and down. With cruise off, it was normal. Then, my blinkers didn't work. I messed around a bit more, and with tow haul mode on my RPM gauge went to zero. The MIL wasn't on, but I checked for DTC's anyway. Sure enough, the three codes I had were on but the MIL wasn't lit up. I was pulling in to Oreilys to have the batteries load tested but they aren't open yet. I'm currently at home now and unhooked batteries to reset the computer. Checked fuses for the blinkers, none blown. But like yesterday, I noticed any lights on the dash were dimmer than usual.

I unplugged the CTS2 because I'm starting to think that POS ****ed up something.. Because the truck starts up and runs fine, and my volt meter is a little above 14 like usual.

And yet another update!

Narrowed down the problem... It's that POS $500 machine I bought from Edge! After unhooking the batteries and letting everything reset, everything is back to normal and perfect now. I drove the truck about 10 mins for a test drive, and everything is fine. Cleared the DTC's, haven't come back.

All I can say is Edge opens at 8am, and they aren't going to like the phone call they'll be getting

In one post you mention getting it from someone which sounds like it was used or something.

In another you state it was directly from edge...

If you bought it used from someone or some sort of back door deal like it fell off a delivery truck. Besides saving a few bucks, What did you expect???

If you got it new from Edge I am sure they will stand behind it.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Im leaning toward operator error, but it might be worth the time to have Edge replace it anyway. You never know.

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Not to be a smart ass, but how can simply updating the unit and plugging it in have an operator error? Is there an install process?

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Yes sir, had batteries and alternator tested. All is good. Unplugged the unit this morning and have been driving the truck since this morning like a champ. Have the unit boxed back up ready to send back. Kind of sucks because that was my first time buying a monitor for any vehicle and i wasn't introduced too well...

Dont get me wrong, i think I just got a lemon. The unit was a sweet little rig when i first got it.

I understand everyone saying it's the batteries or alternator.. But the thing is.. Batteries aren't even a year old, and the truck started up cold like normal and the volt gauge was normal. This has never happened until I plugged the CTS2 in. It would be a big coincidence for the batteries and alternator just to shoot the day after i got the unit, even though everything started and ran fine. Went and got them tested anyway, everything is fine there.

Im just happy everything is back to normal. I already have a mechanical boost and EGT gauge. Ill be fine with that I suppose

Last edited:

Summit_Rider

Jun 6, 2016
If you can get Edge to exchange it for another one I’d honestly try that first. I wouldn’t trade my CTS2 for anything. I know 6 people including myself that run a CTS2 and none of us have had a single issue.

Riverdude

Jan 17, 2014
www.facebook.com
I just got a CTS2 about a week ago, Updated it with my home PC. Plugged it into my LB7 and it works Great !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Y'all aren't alone, I have two friends with them on a 7.3 PS and LMM Duramax. I'm sure I got a lemon. I'll have to give them a call today and see what they'll do

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
You sure you got the insight monitor only? They aren't 500 is why I'm curious all a sudden..