Duramax Monte Carlo

Diesel Fume

May 29, 2011
This is my first post and this looks like a great forum to be a part of.!

I'm looking for knowledge on swapping a Duramax into a 79 monte carlo (g body car). this car came equipped with a small block chevy, but will accept a big block chevy with a little modding. don't know if this info is helpfull when trying to find out if a duramax would fit into an application like this? I see a buick grand national on youtube with a duramax, which is the same body in general as mine, so I know it can be done, but with how much modding? I also hear that regular 700r4/turbo 400/turbo350 transmissions will bolt right up to the D-max?

what about fuel pressure? is a lift pump required to get fuel to the injection pump?

exhaust- does it come strait off of the back of the engine? (since the turbo is valley mounted?)

what about the electronics? can I run a stock ecm and just modify the harness to work with my car? or will it log so many faults for the electronic trans (wich won't be there) that it'll derate the engine? will a custom tune need to be involved?

what is out there for custom intercoolers on swaps like these? I know I won't have enough room for a stock d-max cooler, so somthing custom will have to be involved.

I'm an ex caterpillar mechanic, so I've got some diesel skills and fabbing skills, but need some insight as to the durmax in particular and swapping it out

Thanks a bunch!

Adam

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
There are a couple of similiar swaps that have been done.

I'd look for a GM Duramax Van as the donor powertrain. It has a 4L80? 2wd trans on it instead of the Allison. Diesels are low rpm, high torque engines, so gas transmissions usually aren't going be the best application. You need a tight, locking converter, no vacuum operation, at least 4 gears with an overdrive, and low shift points.

The height of the Dmax can be problematic due to the 4v heads with a turbo on top. A turbo relocation, or a custom oil pan can fix that. Or a big ass hood :D.

The injection pump is called a CP3, and it has a lift pump built into it. But most of us use a second electric unit to assist for max fueling with big HP.

The turbo is in the rear of the valley of the V8 engine with the turbo exhaust faces straight back. On the OEM, there is a downpipe from the turbo that ends about where the starter motor is on the passenger side. You might consider a turbo relocation. Extra cool would be the turbo in the trunk.

The engine is digital on all years Duramax. You will need the factory ECM and harness, and probably the fusebox. A wrecked van is sounding like what you need.

Nitrous makes a good intercooler. :D But yes, the factory intercooler is a monster, about the size of BBC radiator, maybe bigger. You might have to use something else or skip the intercooler. The van unit might be smaller. Diesels don't detonate, the intercooler is there for emissions mostly.

Somebody should chime in with more direct experience. PPE has built a Chevelle, you might pick their brains, and use them for a source for any special fab required.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Google ss duramax that is the car pat is refering to,there is a build thread on that car somewhere but i can not remember the web site Sounds like a cool project keep us updated on the progress.Some day i would like to shoehorn a d max into a 66 gto when and if funds ever permit. :thumb:

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
I was thinking more of a chevette with a trip setup from trent.

There is a friend of mine at our local track with a chevette that has a grand national v6 with big turbo and it runs 9's . Best part of the run is when he pulls back into the pits and gets out , then slaps the roof of the car where a staples " that was easy " button was placed by him !!! Lol lmao

Cbum

Feb 2, 2010
Church Point Louisiana
Someday I want to do an El Camino repower.

I just need to get some other projects out of my way and get started.

DSC00006.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
You'll need at least the engine harness (harness on the engine itself with the inj plugs) & harness from the engine harness to under hood fuse block. It's got the wiring to the fuse block, OBD II port in cab, throttle pedal, ECM & TCM. you'll also need the throttle pedal assembly. You won't really need the fuse block. There's only a need for a hand full of fuses & relays.

If you'll search eBay, there's a guy that shows what it takes as he walks through starting a dmax on an engine stand.

I like Pat's idea of using a 4L80/85E trans. Even with big HP they've been used successfully in lighter weight applications (a la dmax mustang).

This should be a cool ride!

I'd like to do a 56-57 pickup if I can ever get my 83 done.