Duramax Camaro

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Great job Nate I can't believe you stabbed the motor as a one man show... Surely with a build like that and the other projects you have done there has to be some friends chomping at the bit to jump in and help???:thumb:

OneofWon

Nov 18, 2015
St Cloud MN
Great job Nate I can't believe you stabbed the motor as a one man show... Surely with a build like that and the other projects you have done there has to be some friends chomping at the bit to jump in and help???:thumb:

Haha, You want something done right, you do it yourself.

holyshitbatman

holyshitbatman
Mar 17, 2015
Albuquerque new mexico
Omg ima follow this.i would love to swap a dmax in a gasser so far just a bunch of gasser swaps going on at my house have yet to convince anyone to do it around here maybe with this going on i can convince em.and welcome from a newb lol.

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
So I'm curious, did the engine just bolt right into the engine mounts, or did you have to fab something up? And which trans are you going to use? (In case I missed that part somewhere lol)

OneofWon

Nov 18, 2015
St Cloud MN
So I'm curious, did the engine just bolt right into the engine mounts, or did you have to fab something up? And which trans are you going to use? (In case I missed that part somewhere lol)

Wouldnt that be nice... 6L90e transmisssion.

Engine and Trans Mount photos

When I try attaching photos I get this:
"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Now this is cool! Thanks for sharing, and absolutely keep us posted as you go along. And do take Ben (duratothemax) up on his offer of help. He knows his way around the GM computer interfaces.

OneofWon

Nov 18, 2015
St Cloud MN
Oil pan clears everything? Turbo/uppipes clear the firewall? Room up front for fans/radiator/intercooler?

Wow!

Best Answer: For the most part. Making the hood fit without cutting will be the biggest challenge.

I relocated the rack and pinion in Charger and told myself i wasn't going to do that in the Camaro which would have gave 3 more inches of clearance.

The inter cooler will be a challenge with fitment as well as piping.

OneofWon

Nov 18, 2015
St Cloud MN
Update: I just am not happy putting this 167000 mile engine into such a nice car so I am driving 8 hours tomorrow to pick up a 2009 LMM with 8000 original miles on it, along the way I am picking up a 2010 non running van with Duramax/6l90 combo, that way I will have an absolutely immaculate engine to please my attention to detail, and a transmission with correct torque converter, flywheel, wireing harness, etc.

The BIGGEST challenge so far has been getting an auto trans figured out as ive found its very hard to find 4l80's and 6l90's with all the needed pieces, so **** it, ill buy a whole truck!

Id have to cut out the tunnel to make an allison fit and thats not how I roll. plus the 6l90 will hold up just fine in a light weight Camaro.

Anthony@SunCoast

Apr 14, 2012
Destin, Fl
Looks like an awesome build! I've been wanting to do one since the new body style camaro came out. Great to see it can be done and factory operating as well!

OneofWon

Nov 18, 2015
St Cloud MN
So I ended up getting a 2010 LMM with 8000 miles on it and a 2010 6L90e transmission with all the wiring. I am very happ with the spotless engine and how nicely the transmission fit.

I ended up lowing the sub frame 3 inches from the body to make room for the stock hood, and will be lifting the struts 2" to bring the ground clearance back up. which will level the car out as well. I should have engine and transmission mounted by the end of the week as well as the custom drive shaft and gweebo adapter.

The next step is getting the intercooler, radiator, and fuel system mounted and plumbed.

I am getting closer to the wiring portion of things and am seeking someone that is very well versed with these systems to make the engine and transmission talk to the car, like I said I have all the wiring from a donor vehicle that the engine and trans came from. If the price is fair I would be willing to bring the whole car to a select individual. Just figured I would see if anyone was interested in taking this on before I start diving into it myself. I want everything to function including powering the ecm, fuel pump, tps, guages, OBD port for Edge CTS and general diagnostics. Everything on the car side already functions as it should(windows, hvac, radio, lights etc).

So if you know someone that is HIGHLY skilled, let them know and send me a PM if they are interested.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Theres only a handful of guys versed in GM datacoms that do this kind of stuff. If you can get ahold of Ben, he's probably the best to figure this out as he speaks in high speed can bus better than most of us can stumble through english.