Duck the MANN or throw in the towel?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Another possibility that I loathe is putting them back on, and my stock turbo. I wonder if the 40 overs can clean up enough for the dpf or if I need to put my nozzles back n too. Hmm. So many decisions.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think 40 overs should be quiet easy to make DPF friendly with the right tuning. you probably only need to put the exhaust back and retune to get buy. I wouldn't sell it

Reactions: N2BRK

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
You might think... but it's not so easy as that.

With my head hung low, and a kiss mark on her hood... she's gone to a very nice out-of-state buyer. I'm crushed. 14 years of total love.

I don't know what to do next. I've decided that a new emissions intact diesel is not for me. I don't work it like I'd need to, to require one, and I don't want the hassles of failures. The excitement and passion isn't there for me to run a stock diesel.

So I'm stuck with making a choice. Wait to order a '24 Silverado 6.6 gas and count the seconds until the tuning finally comes and I can put on forced-induction? Buy an LB7 and build it up in hopes that NJ doesn't ban them next? Buy an LBZ and build the trans and live with a max effort tune (not too shabby, really)? Buy a couple year old gas 2500hd and cam/blow her?

I'm allowing myself a lot of time to decide, because I don't want to do this again any time soon! I go into work-whore mode in January and I don't come up for air until mid-April, so I'll have more money and hopefully a clear choice by then.

• Sad
Reactions: JoshH

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
IMO gasser weather it a new one or old one for me would depend on what I wanted out of the truck. For fun it would be an older one withe a Whipple. If it was more for family and a comfortable daily driver with modern technology it would be a new 6.6 gasser or Ford 7.3 gasser. These goddamn manufacturers need to quit having gas engines the same size as diesel engines...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
even if you waited for tuning on a 6.6 gasser, you still have the 10 speed to build to hold the power (10 speed comes in the 24 6.6 gasser) and there still aint shit for the current 10 speed and nor do i feel like we will see much to come. That trans is extremely limited on space to build it better.

if you want to stay a diesel nut, 01-07 for sure. i cant see how NJ can ban a truck from use on the private side. or you go a newer 6.0, build the trans and do a supercharger on it. that gets you torque back that you will be missing.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
IMO it's going to be hard to have an issue with an LB7 long term as with modest mods (IE a turbo setup that spools quick, properly sized injectors that aren't smokey piles of junk, and a good file) as it should pass all emissions tests that apply to that model year including a snap test/readiness OBD test.

Reactions: 2004LB7 and N2BRK

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Until NJ takes a page from the CA book on cuntery and bans renewals of pre-2011 diesels 🤦‍♂️

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
James - given even a whipple’d gasser won’t make the trans killing power of a stock l5p, do you think the 10sp is really a bad thing for the L8T behind such an animal?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Until NJ takes a page from the CA book on cuntery and bans renewals of pre-2011 diesels 🤦‍♂️

thats only on commerical trucks.

James - given even a whipple’d gasser won’t make the trans killing power of a stock l5p, do you think the 10sp is really a bad thing for the L8T behind such an animal?

yes because i dont see them being exactly the same. they could use a different/cheaper clutch inside, tcm tuning could lessing pressures quite a bit and so on. i think its probably far fetched that internals will be much different but the TCM tuning is a big one. We dont even have tcm tuning for the 2020 trucks.

also, unless you tow alot, the 10 speed is going to shift slow, have lots of defuel and just not feel right to the power. a build 6l90 in an older truck will be far more fun.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Yes that is for
Commercial, but my point was that they could easily make life difficult with the stroke of a pen.

Good info on the 6L90 v 10sp - thank you! I read that the ‘24 was going to run both trans offerings depending on the trim level. I didn’t verify that to be factual though.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
The more I read about the performance of a supercharged 6.0, the more I’m sold on an lb7 😂

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yes that is for
Commercial, but my point was that they could easily make life difficult with the stroke of a pen.

Good info on the 6L90 v 10sp - thank you! I read that the ‘24 was going to run both trans offerings depending on the trim level. I didn’t verify that to be factual though.
I don't think they can outlaw them long-term for personal usage. It was a vehicle sold in the USA that must meet its emissions requirements set in place at the time of manufacture. If California allows all this old iron to still drive around (IE classic cars) then I doubt you'll have a problem.

I really wish we as a country would wake up and realize that we are letting 1 state control the other 49 for the most part which is lunacy.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Not happening where I am, that’s for sure!

My town just made the news. After decades of having insane budgets and the highest paid teachers, they managed to get another try to pass their bond to fix the crumbling infrastructure. We knocked it down in the past because it’s so bloated and doesn’t require any fiscal responsibility, so they had the polls open last Thursday - to limit voter turnout AGAINST! It passed. Ugh.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you need a truck to haul heavy/pull trailers, get a diesel. If you need a truck to run to the hardware store/pull a small trailer, get a half ton gasser unless you're just a die hard diesel guy like most of us here are.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Die Hard :) I don't tow heavy very often, usually just my 16x7 enclosed. But, a couple times per year I tow some equipment that a 1500 cannot handle. I'm for sure sticking with a 2500hd. I did some looking and people with the 2500hd trucks are generally not impressed after running a power adder and wind up back in a diesel, and I get that! Right now, I'm leaning hard toward the LB7 route. I'm taking my time though and trying not to let the $$$ burn a hole in my pocket :)

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
at my previous job I had a handful of chevys and a ford gas trucks to play with. from 2002 threw 2008 2500hd and 3500hd / F350 models. all where pigs compared to my Duramax. night and day difference when towing. I could load up twice the weight and still outrun the gas trucks in my own truck. the owner purchased a Duramax for his own rig but gas trucks for everyone else

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
at my previous job I had a handful of chevys and a ford gas trucks to play with. from 2002 threw 2008 2500hd and 3500hd / F350 models. all where pigs compared to my Duramax. night and day difference when towing. I could load up twice the weight and still outrun the gas trucks in my own truck. the owner purchased a Duramax for his own rig but gas trucks for everyone else

Stock vs stock the 8.1s did pretty good. Fords new 7.3s are monsters though for gassers.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
LT has been doing a build up of a boosted 8.1 that's cool. The 7.3 is actually damn near identical in power to the 6.6 gas, but it has better gearing options between a 4.30 rear and the 10sp. The IKE challenge had it destroying the 6.6 gas but only because the Chebby was crippled with a 3.73 rear.

Reactions: Dozerboy