dome/map lights

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I did also have some JDM Astar stuff and that exhibited all the same problems so I returned those. I've bought the cheapest, the next level up with JDM, and VLEDS basically the highest price stuff I've come accross. I have found some threads on other forums with guys having the same issue in these trucks along with avalanches, escalades, etc but all the threads are left with no solution. I think the avalanche and escalade guys still have visor vanity and glove box lights in those suv's. I read that their work around was leaving a regular bulb in the glove box or vanity mirror light and opening either of those briefly for the circuit to see the load its looking for to properly operate. Kind of a mickey mouse solution, but being as I don't have either of those 2 lights that solution wouldn't work for me. Ben or Cornell, hollar back!

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I found this on I can't remember what forum:
So if any of yall are like me and replaced your interior and cargo/bed lights with led bulbs, and realized that the interior leds are dim when switched on individually by the power buttons, but have full power when unlocked or a door is opened. Or that the rear cargo light will not fully power on until you switch on an incandescent light first and find it annoying and bothers you, then I have a fix for you. Took about 30 min with messing with the dog, taking pictures, and going slow. Plus meticulously taping and securing everything. Scroll a bit if you don't want to read the babble of my trying to explain the issue. Anyways, the reason why the leds are dim when switched on individually but fully bright when a door is opened or the truck is unlocked is because of our bcms. When you switch each bulb on individually the bulb is not drawing enough voltage to fully power on since these's led's are so efficient, and to get the bulb to fully power on, I would have to remove an led and replace it with a stock bulb. I found the 6 bulbs with the issue are the two front map lights, the two rear map lights, and the cargo lights. All have the issue because of the individual power switch to each bulb. I decided to go the resistor route and soldered resistors onto the rear festoon bulbs and that actually fixed the issue of the rear maps being dim. I tried the same with the front 194 bulbs but to no effect. I could get the bulbs to fully power on now by pressing one of the rear map light bulbs. This would also allow the cargo lamp to get full power. This got annoying.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
Taken from another forum:

The "reading lights" are on the left an fright side of my rear overhead dome light. The center dome light is not affected because it does not have its own separate switch. Also, my door panel bulbs are also not affected by the dimming issue because they also do not have their own separate on/off switches.

As discussed in other posts, here's what happens. All interior lights turn on full brightness and fade off when a door is opened and closed. This is GOOD. Unfortunately, when you click a switch to turn on any of the switch controlled bulbs, they turn on very dimly. This is because the led bulbs do not pull enough current to turn on full power from the light control "brain". I am not sure what this brain actually is (is t a Light Control a Module, is it the Body Control Module) so I will just refer to it as the "brain" for simplicity's sake.

The only way to wake up the brain was to leave one old incandescent style bulb in place in the interior that had its own switch. Some left the glove box light in place. I left my two reading lamps in place. To get the remaining LEDs to light up to full brightness, you had to first turn on the glove box bulb, or reach up behind you and tun on a reading light. Once the brain sensed the draw of ANY incandescent bulb switched on you could hear the brain "click" and all of your other LEDs would be fully bright.

Unfortunately, this brain would eventually go to sleep and if you wanted to use your map lights, visor lights or any other led switched lights, they would be super dim again until you opened your glove box or clicked on any other incandescent bulb which would then click the brain back into the awake mode to once again provide full brightness to your LEDs. This is a major PITA!

I am not exactly sure what causes the brain to go to sleep. I am not sure if it is time based or demand based. I do not seem to be able to clock a specific set time on how long it will stay awake. Some times, I can have my truck running for a few hours and it will still go into sleep mode.

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
I dont mind the dun of the map lights, if I want more light I just flip the switch. Glad you got some of it handled and operational the way you like it.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I dont mind the dun of the map lights, if I want more light I just flip the switch. Glad you got some of it handled and operational the way you like it.

so your map lights are dim if you try to use them independently, meaning one map light by itself? They don't exactly operate as I desire. I love the light they provide but don't like having to leave an incandescent bulb in and having to turn that bulb on and off to get full power to my cargos or maps.:mad:

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
so your map lights are dim if you try to use them independently, meaning one map light by itself? They don't exactly operate as I desire. I love the light they provide but don't like having to leave an incandescent bulb in and having to turn that bulb on and off to get full power to my cargos or maps.:mad:

Yes weather I have one or both on, they are dimmer, then when I roll the knob forward to turn on all interior lights on the are alot brighter

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
Yes weather I have one or both on, they are dimmer, then when I roll the knob forward to turn on all interior lights on the are alot brighter

wierd, mine are not affected by the roller knob at all. The roller knob only controls my dash backlighting, has no effect on dome lights or map lights at all, unless i roll it all the way up til it clicks....then the maps and dome lights come on.

Last edited:

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
Certainly not how I remember my LB7 working

Yea, clearly it shouldn't work like that....There has to be some kind of easy solution, as I said everything works normal if I put the factory bulbs back in. I've owned this truck since new, so I know there aren't any wiring issues. I'm hoping someone sees this thread and has some info.

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway
My lb7 ext cab, the led map/interior lights only work on the dome swith or opening the door. They dont work on the button/switch on the lamp. If i turn the bulb, they work the opposite way.. i'm going too install old style again.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
My lb7 ext cab, the led map/interior lights only work on the dome swith or opening the door. They dont work on the button/switch on the lamp. If i turn the bulb, they work the opposite way.. i'm going too install old style again.

Im pretty sure all 2003 - 2007 trucks and gm suvs have this isssue. I have read alot on other forums about it. Just surprising that no one has addressed the issue with a decent solution. I read that canbus style bulbs in the maps worked for some guys. Apparently they provide enough resistance for everthing to work correctly. I have been told not to use canbus style bulbs tho becasue they make tons of heat

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
Yours does that with Led's or regular bulbs? Mine works normally with the regular bulbs in place, but with Led's I had to keep one regular bulb in either of the map lights, or one regular in the rear individual domes or one in the cargos. I'm hoping this was just an issue of low quality Led's.
With LEDs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk