Dodge brake conversation

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I've got ss lines they're nice and it makes a little improvement. I also have a properly maintained brake system. Brake fluid once a year, ps twice a year. Rotate tires 3 times a year and I take apart each corner every time.

I can lockup 35s with ease

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Love to put SS braided lines on mine. GM went to metric fittings on the LMM

What are you using for PS fluid? I'm using synthetic ATF. Really need to get a cooler on it....

Might be swapping hydra boost out later as well.. As its pushing 270k doesn't seam to be stopping as well as it use to..
Rotors and pads are relatively new

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Love to put SS braided lines on mine. GM went to metric fittings on the LMM

What are you using for PS fluid? I'm using synthetic ATF. Really need to get a cooler on it....

Might be swapping hydra boost out later as well.. As its pushing 270k doesn't seam to be stopping as well as it use to..
Rotors and pads are relatively new
What about this?

https://puredieselpower.com/egr-brakes-2.html#/product/18762

Since the new hydroboost I used regular Napa heavy duty power steering fluid which had good pedal feel but it burned out in a few months.

Then I switched to synthetic atf which feels fine but it gets alot softer under hard braking when it gets warm. I definitely need a cooler too. Anyone use the stock Trans cooler for power steering?

I'm switching to redline synthetic power steering fluid next. I wanted to do it this time but couldn't find it locally. I've heard good things about it.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Idk those existed! Thanks
AFAIK. Mine are original to the truck.. They "look good" on the outside, pliable no dry rot etc.
I picked up a brake fluid tester for water contamination.. It's still good for now..
Higher water% quicker it is to boil and loose braking effectiveness. 4% is the limit.

I switch to synthetic after I turned regular atf brown.. Synthetic ATF is easier to find them synthetic PS fluid in my travels

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Idk those existed! Thanks
AFAIK. Mine are original to the truck.. They "look good" on the outside, pliable no dry rot etc.
I picked up a brake fluid tester for water contamination.. It's still good for now..
Higher water% quicker it is to boil and loose braking effectiveness. 4% is the limit.

I switch to synthetic after I turned regular atf brown.. Synthetic ATF is easier to find them synthetic PS fluid in my travels

It is but I don't think the atf is as firm as ps fluid. I'm going to order it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_16&smid=A291WW88PVI43Q

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Somewhere there was a viscosity debate/info thread few years back.. Either on this forum or the diesel place.. Thick the viscosity at temp better the response

mp06011999

Dec 6, 2010
My stock hydroboost has been leaking for a while, so I bought a new AC Delco LML booster, new pressure lines, and some Redline power steering fluid. I just finished installing it all on my truck last night. Everything fit fine except for some reason the hole in the push rod was just a hair too small and it wouldn't allow enough travel to push the brake light switch in enough to break the shift interlock circuit. The brake lights worked, but I couldn't get it out of park. I had to drill it out just a little to make it work. Other than that, it stops great now.

I don't hardly post here, but do alot over on another Dmax site. I was directed to you Josh by C20Elephant over there.

I have an 06 LBZ in need of a new hydroboost and he said you were able to use the much cheaper unit off the LML (part number AC Delco 178-0853) for your LBZ. How has it worked out for you? Any issues? Thanks!

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63.../424810-10-most-frequent-problems-lbz-10.html

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I don't hardly post here, but do alot over on another Dmax site. I was directed to you Josh by C20Elephant over there.

I have an 06 LBZ in need of a new hydroboost and he said you were able to use the much cheaper unit off the LML (part number AC Delco 178-0853) for your LBZ. How has it worked out for you? Any issues? Thanks!

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63.../424810-10-most-frequent-problems-lbz-10.html

It has been working great for me. No problems whatsoever.

mp06011999

Dec 6, 2010
It has been working great for me. No problems whatsoever.

Perfect! Thanks so much for such a fast reply.

Crazy the difference in price. I just saved over 100 bucks! :beer

Did you have to drill out the hole at all on the end of the rod?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Perfect! Thanks so much for such a fast reply.

Crazy the difference in price. I just saved over 100 bucks! :beer

Did you have to drill out the hole at all on the end of the rod?
Yes, I used a step bit to drill it. I didn't measure the size of the hole in the new one or the old one, but the hole in the new booster was originally just a little bigger than the 5/8" step on the bit. I just went to the next step, which was 11/16", and everything now works like it should.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
The brakes on my regular cab have been going down hill lately I can tell. MN winters are hell on the pads and rotors. You depress the brake pedal when the truck is stopped and you can feel it pulsing in your foot and hear it as well. The whole PS and HB system was flushed when I rebuilt the truck but I think its time.

Ordered the 2011 LML booster, stainless braided lines because I felt the difference when I put those on my crew cab. Going to flush the whole system when the new HB gets here.

Hope that helps, the rotors and pads were in good shape when I replaced the driver wheel bearing on Wednesday.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Cycle the ABS controller and flush again or do a redneck ABS controller cycle, dirt road preferable and lock'em up several times then flush again. I cycled mine with a TECH-II after replacing the flexible lines and what a difference, if my truck wasn't so old I would swear it was new. Oddly enough the transmission shifted differently and a member on DP said his transmission shifted different after cycling the ABS controller with a TECH-II....

Last edited:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
How much different were the shifts?

So new stainless lines, stainless flex lines, 11' lml hydro boost, and then cyle the abs module with a tech-II. How many cycles do you need to do with a tech 2?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I had to borrow it from a friend, the TECH-II will instruct you to push the pedal to the floor several times to cycle the ABS module and no bleeders are opened during the process and I could hear it making noise during the process. TECH-II's are pretty simple just follow the prompts on the screen.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
My brakes are getting weak and the power steering pump growls when turning sometimes. Is my hydra boost to blame?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Please explain the process of cycling the ABS controller with a tech 2?
Sorry it slipped my mind.

Go into diagnostics then to chassis. Click on abs and special functions. Then F1 is automated bleed. Just hold down the brake while it cycles.