this is you coolant for your cabin heater
attachment.php

this is turbo coolant return/discharge
attachment.php

looking at the water pump through the suction inlet pipe
attachment.php

looking at the w/p throuhg the re-circulation inlet hole
attachment.php

the other two is the discharger pipe from the water pump to the oil cooler and that connects to the intermediate/back plate

coolant path is form pump
to oil cooler
to back plate
to cylinder walls
to heads
to y-pipe
the cabin heater supply is tapped into upstream of the t-stats
the turbo coolant line is tapped in to the re-circulation line

that make sense simon? :baby:
the only thing that is regulated is the main upper radiator hose going to the radiator. there are hole ~1/8" in the steel of the t-stats nothing else is regulated

Attachments

• HPIM0343.JPG
    HPIM0343.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 205
  • HPIM0344.JPG
    HPIM0344.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 204
  • HPIM0345.JPG
    HPIM0345.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 207
  • HPIM0346.JPG
    HPIM0346.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 205
  • HPIM0347.JPG
    HPIM0347.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 194
  • HPIM0348.JPG
    HPIM0348.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 212
  • HPIM0351.JPG
    HPIM0351.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 24
  • HPIM0352.JPG
    HPIM0352.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
because that brass thing with the nipple on it on the upper metal radiator hose? thats a mini thermostat for the turbo coolant circulation circuit. The turbo doesnt get any coolant flow until 135 degrees or something, when that mini t-stat opens.

I might be all wrong tho...

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
Turbocharger Bypass Valve (6.6L Diesel Engine)
The turbocharger bypass valve is a temperature control valve. The valve is located in the turbocharger coolant inlet hose at the water outlet tube.

The purpose of the valve is to close the coolant flow through the turbocharger. Closing off the coolant flow through the turbocharger avoids turbocharger overcooling.

4th pic

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
mine is a straight shot and completely open from the factory

Adam Thankyou for the info:) If you pull the brass plug off it does have a spring and regulator like stewie and ben posted,Some people gut them
myself i just put a 3/8s bung a couple inches away and removed and plugged the brass thingy

Now as far as my concern last night the 1" or so pipe that goes directly to the bottom of the t-stat housing is or is not regulated by the T stats?
as far as I can tell it is NOT i pulled the t stats again today and can stick my finger thru to the 1/2" or so pipe that comes off the housing

lastnight Im sure we where on the same page just reading different:hug:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state

were is the pressure to drive the coolant form the return line into the turbo? the the is regulated at ~13X* and the t-state set at 180-190*:confused:
attachment.php

the flow/pressure is generated in the re-circulation tube and the regualter/bypass vlv is the discharge. the regualtor senses the coolant temp coming from the turbo NOT going to the turbo. and if it get too cold it close and shut the flow through the turbo.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Bu here is your answer ;)

The turbocharger bypass valve is a temperature control valve. The valve is located in the turbocharger coolant inlet hose at the water outlet tube.The purpose of the valve is to close the coolant flow through the turbocharger. Closing off the coolant flow through the turbocharger avoids turbocharger overcooling.

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
gm has it poorly worded throughout....

I looked through Service information and found a step by step how to pull something... and it tells you, now pull this, then this and it shows pics of these items. The way the pics are and the way it is described - that is how the coolant flows.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
thanks stewie that exactly what i was thingking on the heater hose line and that just confirmed it

Adam:D you where correct on the flow;) yu da man:cool:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
attachment.php

the pipe that my finger is on greg you marked backwards it flows from below the t-stats to the water pump since it dumps out on the suction side of the pump ;)