DIY compound kit install

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
Looking down the road (at least to this fall) i have really been toying with the idea of adding studs and twins to my truck. I have been pouring over different write ups online/youtube. However itll be my virgin run on this large of a project.
Obviously there is the risk of damaging/destroying hard parts with this kind of install done wrong, but its something i really want to do to learn.

questions- Specifically (HSP 475/stock, retaining 2nd battery location) kit and seem pretty strait forward?
-time frame, ill give myself a week of down time to get it done.
- I am by no means a master mechanic but im fairly mechanically inclined and do all the wrenching on my truck, albeit on a much smaller scale.
- Are there some things that only a seasoned builder would do that are not available to the "average" joe that would be problematic down the road?
-Tools-I think i have everything ill need, and im not afraid to buy what i dont have.
-nuts & bolts, dont laugh at this question:D im planning on getting a bunch of ziplock baggies and a sharpie....as i take take everything apart, it gets marked and set aside in its respective baggy?

So, thats my plan so far. Please chime in with experience / advise :hug:as i still my pay to have it done if its gonna be a bear!

thanks fella's

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Subbed and bumped to the top

I am looking into doing something similar and want to see what comes of this thread

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
Here's what I can say I learned from my twin kit install:
1. Make sure you are familiar with the directions, get answers to any questions you have
2. Make sure you have all the tools required prior to starting the work
3. Verify all pieces/parts are accounted for
4. Get some help
5. Have extra fluids on hand (coolant, oil)
6. Take your time

Expect the install to take the better part of a weekend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
be easy on bending the ac lines and dipstick tubes. and take your time on forming the inner fender. you will be happier in the long run.

I installed my early sdp kit. at the time it was one of my first bigger projects, and the things I listed weren't perfect because it was my first time and probably a little anxious.

also if the oil returns to the pan have a good plan for marking and drilling the upper oil pan.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
thanks for the tips fellas, ne-max the tuning will be done by DDD so theyll be local. which now i have to ask...how would the truck run with stock tuning to make the 60 mile trip to their shop?

second question, how big of a deal is it to take off the cab to install? did you guys pull it or leave it on?

wsmithduramax

<--- Home Made!
May 4, 2009
Windsor, CO
thanks for the tips fellas, ne-max the tuning will be done by DDD so theyll be local. which now i have to ask...how would the truck run with stock tuning to make the 60 mile trip to their shop?

second question, how big of a deal is it to take off the cab to install? did you guys pull it or leave it on?

When I built my twin setup, I was worried about tuning too, as DDD did my tuning a long time ago, but I made the trip down there on whatever tune I had in there before the twin tune and just took my time getting down to his shop I never really opened it up until I after proper tuning. Didn't have any problems, but probably not recommended, Worst case, trailer it down to DDD.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007

Pulling the cab is easy. Tuning should be totally fine if you just drive sensible. Pulling the cab isn't necessary at all. But installing stuff like this with the cab up is SO EASY......lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
It's probably easier than run valve lash :rofl:

Haha oh man almost forgot about that.

I love pulling cabs to do major repairs, but I have a lot under my belt. You could get away with the twins and studs easily without cab R&R. Biggest tip I think is don't get in a rush. ESPECIALLY on bolts/nuts that are being stubborn. Broken bolts/thread repairs take the motivation right out of me. As far as tuning goes you'll be ok driving it down to Wade's as long as the piping where the MAF sensor mounts isn't drastically bigger than stock.

Good luck! Give me a call if you need any tips! I'd offer help but this baby will be here any day haha.