Deleted rear tank now the fuel gauge won't work?!!!

Crossbrand1984

Farm boys toy
Jun 17, 2016
Edmonton ky
I bought a lly cab& chassi decided to shorten the frame and had to remove rear tank in the process. The fuel gauge no longer works! We tried splicing the wires from the rear sending unit and that still didn't work! I was told the dealership could put a code in it that would make it read from one tank only for$300 but wanna try to save that money for upgrades and I don't know if they hook up to my truck if it will knock out my EFI live! Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank in advance!!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you already have EFILive, get your tuner to swap to a single tank OS (or even just segment swap the fuel segment). That should be all you need to do to get it working as expected.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
you could try and wire in a potentiometer and see if that solves it
Negative, GM made the system to smart for that. The fuel to the engine always comes from the front tank, once the level in the front tank begins to drop past around 3/4 tank, the ECM turns on the transfer pump to move fuel from the rear tank to the front tank. If the ECM doesn't see the level in the rear tank change after about 5 minutes of commanding the transfer pump, it will think theres a problem, disable the transfer pump, and send the gauge to empty. The ONLY fix for this is a segment swap or tune change in the ECM to change to a single tank. And the stock tank sizes for a C&C is 26 front, and 23 rear. Spent some time working with the dual tank OS's doing DURABURB tune files.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Negative, GM made the system to smart for that. The fuel to the engine always comes from the front tank, once the level in the front tank begins to drop past around 3/4 tank, the ECM turns on the transfer pump to move fuel from the rear tank to the front tank. If the ECM doesn't see the level in the rear tank change after about 5 minutes of commanding the transfer pump, it will think theres a problem, disable the transfer pump, and send the gauge to empty. The ONLY fix for this is a segment swap or tune change in the ECM to change to a single tank. And the stock tank sizes for a C&C is 26 front, and 23 rear. Spent some time working with the dual tank OS's doing DURABURB tune files.

Learn something new every day. Thanks