December '23 Chat --- It's Christmastime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Im dealing with my 90-y/o father, having to move him into a higher level of care. His wife is unable to help him as much as he needs now, neither can I. We had a family meeting today, and luckily 4 of my 5 bro/sis are backing me taking over decision making for his health.

Been sick this weekend, too...... which really adds to the fun.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Im dealing with my 90-y/o father, having to move him into a higher level of care. His wife is unable to help him as much as he needs now, neither can I. We had a family meeting today, and luckily 4 of my 5 bro/sis are backing me taking over decision making for his health.

Been sick this weekend, too...... which really adds to the fun.
Sorry to hear. I’ve dealt with this at home and a with clients at work. Make sure to at least get a Durable Power of Attorney, and hopefully he has a will with just one executor named. It’s no picnic to stand in someone’s shoes and make the decisions that they would have wanted for themselves with regard to their care and medical. Especially when it’s in conflict with yourself or others! Good on you for taking the helm.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Putting my Christmas spirit on today and did a Christmas tree upgrade. I had an led star that I built and put up in my tree in the backyard that is tall enough to easily see from the street. But it was showing signs of weathering and some of star stopped working. So I remade one with better LED strips inside a track and defuser/cover to protect it from the elements. It is also a bit bigger than the old one. This new one measures almost 7 feet across

Low power test right after soldering all the connections together.
IMG_20231202_161010.jpg

Full power test in my backyard. Looks to be about as bright as a 400 watt metal halide lamp but only draws 75 watts
IMG_20231202_194547.jpg

I tried getting a good shot of it in the tree but it overwhelms the camera with the contrast in brightness. So a super bright flashlight on the tree at the same time to try and make it show in the photo. I attached the star to a 10' pole and extended it up to the top of the tree since I couldn't climb to the top and there is no support up there to attach it anyway. Unfortunately I need to go back up to straighten it as it went up a little skewed. Hard to see when it's getting dark and you are right under it in the tree with branches in the way.

I think I have the largest and tallest Christmas tree in my town. Taller then the one at the city center or mall. The cities tree is "only" 60' tall. Infact a quick Google search says the "tallest" in California is at the Citadel Outlets at 115' tall 😜. My hundred foot rope just reached from where I was 10' below the star and to my roof top. So possibly 120-130 feet? Photo from the street
IMG_20231203_205504-01-01~01.jpg

Last edited:

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Well we headed north to our property to hunt Christmas trees. I was hoping it would be the Kodiak’s maiden voyage but she wasn’t up to it. During a shakedown run in town, climbing a hill, it made a nasty 5-4 downshift and illuminated the wrench light to the tune of p0735. I’ll look into it more but looks like a trans build for me.

Attachments

• 41E269F1-A314-437D-B08A-95642C9BD7EC.jpeg
    41E269F1-A314-437D-B08A-95642C9BD7EC.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 12
  • D2CC4D08-B12B-4267-B20C-FBBAE8C95363.jpeg
    D2CC4D08-B12B-4267-B20C-FBBAE8C95363.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 14

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
When I was a kid, we put a star up in the top of one of our tall pines in the backyard, too. That is, until we had a freak December thunderstorm and lighting hit that tree thru the star. That was the end of that.

Reactions: 2004LB7

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Im just sitting here, took today off. Now waiting for return phone calls from the 10 places Ive called for info for my Dad. I hate voicemails, have I ever said that before?

Sorry to hear. I’ve dealt with this at home and a with clients at work. Make sure to at least get a Durable Power of Attorney, and hopefully he has a will with just one executor named. It’s no picnic to stand in someone’s shoes and make the decisions that they would have wanted for themselves with regard to their care and medical. Especially when it’s in conflict with yourself or others! Good on you for taking the helm.
Just saw this. Yep, I have all that. Im executor, my sister is second. Its a Trust situation, too. Luckily, all financials are separate, and they no longer own a home or other shared property.

Reactions: N2BRK

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Just saw this. Yep, I have all that. Im executor, my sister is second. Its a Trust situation, too. Luckily, all financials are separate, and they no longer own a home or other shared property.
I’ve heard a trust is way easier to deal with than a will. That’s what my parents have (trust).

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I’ve heard a trust is way easier to deal with than a will. That’s what my parents have (trust).
I’m not a lawyer so I’m not giving legal advice. But I’ve dealt with a lot of clients where lawyers set up elaborate and unnecessary instruments, and in fairness I’ve seen some that were expertly thought out and completely necessary! It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The biggest advice that I will give is to always name ONE person and don’t get into co-executors or co-trustees. That creates a big hassle. I worked on an Estate recently where there were three co-trustees living in three different states. Huge PITA for all involved.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I’m not a lawyer so I’m not giving legal advice. But I’ve dealt with a lot of clients where lawyers set up elaborate and unnecessary instruments, and in fairness I’ve seen some that were expertly thought out and completely necessary! It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The biggest advice that I will give is to always name ONE person and don’t get into co-executors or co-trustees. That creates a big hassle. I worked on an Estate recently where there were three co-trustees living in three different states. Huge PITA for all involved.
At least having a basic will at a minimum allows for guidance.
Trust have 1 in charge and name a 2nd/3rd if something happens to the previous.

Having a will/trust made my dad's passing a lot easier.
Lost my sister unexpectedly, this past memorial day, no will, only thing in writing is she's and organ donor.. everything else was/is a mess.

One thing I found out, if you're going to give someone something, do it before you're dead, less taxes and probate court crap. I'm sure there is a limit on it though.. idiots in DC always want something

Reactions: N2BRK

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
At least having a basic will at a minimum allows for guidance.
Trust have 1 in charge and name a 2nd/3rd if something happens to the previous.

Having a will/trust made my dad's passing a lot easier.
Lost my sister unexpectedly, this past memorial day, no will, only thing in writing is she's and organ donor.. everything else was/is a mess.

One thing I found out, if you're going to give someone something, do it before you're dead, less taxes and probate court crap. I'm sure there is a limit on it though.. idiots in DC always want something
I heard someone many years ago advise an elderly client to "give with a warm hand".

Without completely derailing this thread, as for the limit and DC - there is a maximum amount that you can give per year without filing a Gift Tax Return, and it doesn't reduce your lifetime giving amount. If you're married, you can "Gift Split" and double that amount by having each spouse write a separate check and gift someone. Under the current law, you are usually filing the Gift Tax Return just to record it with the Gubbment, as you won't owe tax unless it exceeds $13M ($26M if you Gift Split). But that figure could change up or down! If they try to increase income to cover the stupid amounts of $$$ they threw at us peasants over the past few years, it may drop like a stone. It was "only" $5M in 2016! Let's get back on topic to something more Merry! This is just reminding me that Tax Season is coming up soon, LOL.

Reactions: malibu795

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
He bribed a kid in the neighborhood to climb that tree.

Yes. Million.
...and here I thought max gift was $15,000/yr before the taxman cometh. You play in much more rarified air than I.

As for Dad..... We now have a Plan! It'll cost more per month, but he'll have someone there helping in the morning, checking on him during the day, and then helping in the evening, plus making sure he's taking his meds when he's supposed to. I also set up the plan for afterward with the funeral home. Overall a very productive day. I even feel a lot better today. Back to work tomorrow......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.