Danville 68stg2r

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I DD and tow with mine, but since I've gotten the charger I honestly haven't towed anything over 12K. But from what I've seen, it's low EGT's and great turbo braking. Any of my lower tunes are nice and cool EGT because there's so much cool air available.

oh i dont doubt it. im looking to see where it starts getting hot as a single HP wise. i have not seen anyone push it as a single, tow heavy and report back. for reference, what i posted was a 600rwhp tune and was using alot of that tune to pull the grades that heavy. since he has a built engine, id really be curious how it does on larger tunes.

novaman64

that guy
Jun 18, 2013
Placerville, CA
Pushing big sticks or stock fuel? Supporting mods? Whos tuning and what tunes if you dont mind? I had a thread a little while back asked about this charger. Its one nice piece. Oh yeah hows towing and DD with the whistle? Thats the only thing im curious about. I dont mind some more noise but from the videos its screaming loud. I will be towing with the family till the truck gets retired and put on light duty.

For the time being stock. But eventually built trans, bigger sticks and a something like a modified 42% CP3... Have PPEI tuning and been pretty happy with it...

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Towed about 28k total weight from New Jersey to New Mexico. Aside from a couple of minor truck issues, she towed great. The tune is whatever Mark's #1 tune on the dsp5 was set to. Highest EGT I ever saw was 1325 for a few seconds. It rarely got to 1200. Great power, great sound. I just can't wait to force feed it with another!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Towed about 28k total weight from New Jersey to New Mexico. Aside from a couple of minor truck issues, she towed great. The tune is whatever Mark's #1 tune on the dsp5 was set to. Highest EGT I ever saw was 1325 for a few seconds. It rarely got to 1200. Great power, great sound. I just can't wait to force feed it with another!

How was the low end? Would it lug ok in 5th gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
How was the low end? Would it lug ok in 5th gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It was great all around. I could run 75+ in 5th and maintain it up reasonably long grades in west Texas. On relatively flat ground I could hold speed in 6th. It would keep speed in 6th with some extra throttle, but the EGTs would get up around 1300 pretty quickly, so I usually downshifted to 5th for any grade.

Llyamaxin

Feb 14, 2015
Well gents the motor is about finished up. Been a long time coming.
e8fdd7c710827e18f99b16e42d000c49.jpg
017b17d840f537e78768b0a23a7646b0.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
About the only thing I know about turbos is they force air in the engine but I just spent like 30 mins on YouTube watching videos of this thing. Damn it sounds whicked!

Last edited:

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Roll on into az, I got some hills you can test that charger and weight on hehe.
Re-reading some old threads as I contemplate a twin setup again.... thought this was funny though. Little did I know about the absolutely brutal conditions in the SW, Arizona specially. 114* ambient temps and ridiculous grades. WOW. The towing I've down out that way changed my baselines for sure. I'm getting ready to load up in Texas next week and tow back to Vegas... thankfully the ambient temps wont be solar-flare level this time of year.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I’ve never been off l10 through AZ. I don’t recall any big grades, but it was on the warm side. Lol I’ll take it over the job I did in Death Valley excavating around fault lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’ve never been off l10 through AZ. I don’t recall any big grades, but it was on the warm side. Lol I’ll take it over the job I did in Death Valley excavating around fault lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I10 is flat as can be lol. couple short grades in and out of blythe/quartzite, just rolling hills otherwise. now taking any road north out of phx besides the 93 to kingman and it gets interesting. worst is phx to heber. consistent grade climbing up with a few short down hills and long 6% grade up hills. i absolutely f**king hate that drive with anything more than 10k on the back durning the summer, winter its not bad. everything gets hot and there is basically no place driving that lets you cool everything back down unless you pull over and idle for a while. GM and Dodge have been using that section in the summer for testing on cars and trucks for quite a few years now.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Yeah I can contest to that. In the summer it can get upto 116-122 on the hotter days. The hottest ive seen is 130. At that point everything sucks. The lake gets up into the mid to high 90’s and feels like hot bath water and if wind hits your skin it feels like your burning or it’s melting off.... stock lly trans will hit 215-220 unloaded.

Llyamaxin

Feb 14, 2015
Need some more opinions again. Thinkin about dropping a turbo on top of my 68. What are you guys seeing the best results out of. Was thinkin an s480 but im always open for input

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Need some more opinions again. Thinkin about dropping a turbo on top of my 68. What are you guys seeing the best results out of. Was thinkin an s480 but im always open for input

483 or 485. not the box stock 483 either (race cover and billet wheel at min)