LLY: CP3 pump rebuild

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Has anyone rebuilt thier own CP3 pump? I have seen a seals and bearing kit on Wicked Diesels website, is this a difficult project?

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
would you order rebuild parts from Bosch?? or http://www.turbocompressori.net/ ?? i just took a pump apart ant not much too it. It would be great if there was a diagram out there with specs. I'm interested in info on plungers and cylinders of the pump.

Last edited:

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Alot of people think of the CP3 as a black magic kinda thing...and alot who don't would like everyone else to continue to think that way.

Whaat it boils down to is no one is really willing to divulge much info about these things cause they might lose their hold on that portion of the market.

JMHOP

rebel7777

Diesel Head
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park, AB Canada
Alot of people think of the CP3 as a black magic kinda thing...and alot who don't would like everyone else to continue to think that way.

Whaat it boils down to is no one is really willing to divulge much info about these things cause they might lose their hold on that portion of the market.

JMHOP

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that answer.:confused:

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
If all you're wanting to do is rebuild the pump, and it isn't weak in the pressure department, then just snatch up the kit from wiked diesels...its not really that big or hard of a job once you have it on the bench. Now, if you are wanting to modify anything in the main body, be prepared as that is the hardest chunk of cast steel you'll ever hold in your hand. :D

rebel7777

Diesel Head
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park, AB Canada
If all you're wanting to do is rebuild the pump, and it isn't weak in the pressure department, then just snatch up the kit from wiked diesels...its not really that big or hard of a job once you have it on the bench. Now, if you are wanting to modify anything in the main body, be prepared as that is the hardest chunk of cast steel you'll ever hold in your hand. :D

I would like to modify, where do we start, I have 3 to play with.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
I would guess you have to see what bosh has for parts in terms of larger pumps and figure out how to fit them in your pump. probably need to get there clearances and tolerances specs in order to machine your pump.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I think any modifications will require custom parts to be machined.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
I think any modifications will require custom parts to be machined.

For increase in displacement, yes custom parts will need to be created. For optimization of the displacemet the pump already creates you will need speciality tools. The pump body is a solid piece of hardened steel. If you try to drill any of the passages even with a cobalt bit it just laughs at you and spits that cobalt bit out at you. In terms of where to start, all I'll tell you is think about how a person can improve the efficiency of a piston pump. :thumb:

WICKED DIESELS

you need more fuel
A CP3 can only be repaired for the DIY crowd, it is essentially the same as an engine that couldn't have the cylinders rebored. If the plungers or bores show long length wise scratches, then it will never build pressure. The plunger to bore clearance is what forms the seal, and it is very tight. Conventional maching measuring devices will not measure the small clearances. It takes super high precision tooling and equipment to do anything to correctly improve these pumps.

Although they are simple in design, the materials and clearances is what makes these things so difficult to work on. We can do larger plungers and bigger bores, but the cost does not make it worth while for most considering it, as a new complete CP3 cost less than just the machine work.

If you think about it logically, these pumps can generate well over 30,000 psi, they may seem simple but their is far more to it than that. As for the case, it is heat treated forged steel, nearing 60 Rockwell.

In a nut shell, a weak pump will most likely always be a weak pump. It can't easily or affordibly be helped.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
In a nut shell, a weak pump will most likely always be a weak pump. It can't easily or affordibly be helped.

So a wore out pump on ebay is just that? I had considered picking one up cheap and putting the $$ in a rebuild. Just a thought though, haven't actually priced or researched the parts or their availability.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Just buy you a new one, they are only about $700 dollars and would have a warranty of some sort.

if your ponying up the $700 for all of us to own a new pump, Great sign me up. otherwise I think I will research the option to repair the one I got.

On another note: does a well worn pump fall into the category of a weak pump that will always be a weak pump?

Sorry for the rant.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
if your ponying up the $700 for all of us to own a new pump, Great sign me up. otherwise I think I will research the option to repair the one I got.

On another note: does a well worn pump fall into the category of a weak pump that will always be a weak pump?

Sorry for the rant.

If the regulator, cascade valve, gear pump and related pieces like that are all in good shape and the pump still struggles to make the pressure and flow required for something like a mild tow tune then the pump is shot, not rebuildable. This is a piston pump, and there are no rings or anything like that that can be replaced. If the pistons and bores are worn then the pump is pretty much worthless for anything except a paperweight or perhaps a core for someone to make an increased displacement pump.