Coolant reservoir??

Jul 23, 2016
Kentucky
Okay for the 02 lb7’s im sick of replacing my coolant reservoir. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade it to a newer year where there is just a replacable coolant level sensor?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I show the same part number for 2001 - 2007 Classic. The 2007.5+ part doesn't look like it would fit without a lot of work, and I am not sure it has a replaceable sensor either.

I've never heard of the sensor failing before. Have you had more than one fail? Are these OEM ACDelco tanks, or 3rd party replacements?

If you don't want to replace your tank, you could just unplug the sensor. (Might have to short the pins, the wiring diagram isn't clear if open or shorted means low.)

Not to concern you, but if it reads low intermittently without actually being low, especially right after heavy throttle, you might have a bad head gasket pushing air through the tank, and that is tripping the sensor. This is often accompanied by slow (or rapid) loss of coolant, and/or poor heater performance at idle.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I show the same part number for 2001 - 2007 Classic. The 2007.5+ part doesn't look like it would fit without a lot of work, and I am not sure it has a replaceable sensor either.

I've never heard of the sensor failing before. Have you had more than one fail? Are these OEM ACDelco tanks, or 3rd party replacements?

If you don't want to replace your tank, you could just unplug the sensor. (Might have to short the pins, the wiring diagram isn't clear if open or shorted means low.)

Not to concern you, but if it reads low intermittently without actually being low, especially right after heavy throttle, you might have a bad head gasket pushing air through the tank, and that is tripping the sensor. This is often accompanied by slow (or rapid) loss of coolant, and/or poor heater performance at idle.

yup, just jump the pins together and no light. had mine this way since 2010.

Jul 23, 2016
Kentucky
I replaced my injectors on the truck and put it all back together, the coolant light randomly comes and goes as it pleases along with my fuel level from empty to where ever it is at after the replacement.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Check all of your ground straps
X2, this might not be a coolant sensor problem at all.

Though with the age of the truck, the fuel level sender going out isn't unusual. But to have both things start at the same time, that points toward a dirty ground or something. Check your harness for pinched/shorted/exposed wires, and check all the major grounds near where you worked.

So to be clear: is the coolant level going down over time at all?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Broken or corroded ground wire within its casing would have been my first guess.

Jul 23, 2016
Kentucky
I have a very small
Leak at the thermostat where i didnt replace them since they were already new so i and going to get new seals for that but the coolant level has not changed.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Yeah, sounds wiring related. You could bypass the sensor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the sensor works fine, and there is a wiring issue. If that is the case, even with the sensor bypassed it will still randomly trigger the message.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Check ground on the heads that you may have taken loose during injector replacment also being you replaced injectors check the bale connectors make sure they don't have any corroded terminals if you have to jump the coolant level terminals a staple works perfect like mentioned above