Coilover conversion question

1959 Apache

Nov 18, 2020
I have a stock 2006 duramax that I need to convert to coilover front suspension. It will be driven on road 90% of the time and I only want to raise it to be level with the stock rear suspension height. BDS makes a kit, but it is $5K and would raise my truck 4.5 inches which I don't want. Is there a way to simply add a 2.5 inch coilover in place of the stock shock? Any thoughts on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
JAMES! someone needs your expertise....

Apache, have you searched the threads here? There are several that discuss coilovers for our trucks

1959 Apache

Nov 18, 2020
JAMES! someone needs your expertise....

Apache, have you searched the threads here? There are several that discuss coilovers for our trucks
yes, most are for lifted or 4wd, extra travel, etc....I have not found one where it is just for level ride height

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There is no bolt in option for what you want. you will have to fabricate a new frame mount and dictate your ride height off the new coilover and mount you build. 6" stroke shock is all you need but an 8" stroke shock will work too.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Can I ask why you need to convert it to coilover? There is really no benefit over a torsion bar other than weight.

1959 Apache

Nov 18, 2020
Can I ask why you need to convert it to coilover? There is really no benefit over a torsion bar other than weight.
I am putting a 1959 cab on the '06 chassis. In order to get the front wheel to center in the '59 fender, and to have sufficient room for the radiator, intercooler, etc....I have to relocate the engine and trans back in the frame about 8 inches. When I do that the transfer case wants to occupy the same space as the torsion bar cross member. the easiest solution (at least I thought at the time) was to eliminate the torsion bar setup and go to a coilover....and maybe gain a better ride in the process. As I said earlier, I don't need or want a lift, just a level truck with coilovers. I am a reasonably good fabricator, and can ask really good ones for help if needed. I don't mind the fabrication work as long as it is in the right direction.

1959 Apache

Nov 18, 2020
There is no bolt in option for what you want. you will have to fabricate a new frame mount and dictate your ride height off the new coilover and mount you build. 6" stroke shock is all you need but an 8" stroke shock will work too.
I am assuming the limitation in the stock geometry is the distance between the stock shock mounting points ? If I relocate the upper coilover mount will I likely have to change out the upper control arm for clearance? The lower control arm?

1959 Apache

Nov 18, 2020
I am assuming the limitation in the stock geometry is the distance between the stock shock mounting points ? If I relocate the upper coilover mount will I likely have to change out the upper control arm for clearance? The lower control arm?
what coilover would you recommend?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

yes you will need a new UCA, something like a camburg or cognito round tube arms so there is clearance at full droop. lower arm is fine on the stock mounts, they hold up well. depending on body diameter of shock, you will either need a 3" shock eyelet extension to clear cv's (if you have 4wd) or no extension.

1959 Apache

Nov 18, 2020
yes you will need a new UCA, something like a camburg or cognito round tube arms so there is clearance at full droop. lower arm is fine on the stock mounts, they hold up well. depending on body diameter of shock, you will either need a 3" shock eyelet extension to clear cv's (if you have 4wd) or no extension.
Thx, that helps a lot, any preference on the coilovers?....spring rates?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Your choice on coilovers. Rates vary on shock, how you set the frame mount and vehicle weight.

scott_willerscheidt

Jan 30, 2019
gig harbor wa.
Not sure if you're going solid axle or not .If so

2002 gmc sierra 2500hd quad cab short bed
Zone 3" kit
285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
17x9 Raceline 930's
S&B intake
3" turbo horn
PPE boost valve
MBRP 3" downpipe
MBRP 4" exhaust
HSP hot/cold side pipes
LED conversion
Edge CTS2 with SAS EGT probe
boost auto towing mirrors ( dual function)
fass 90
EFI live spade jack
dmax store stage 3 allison