Cknight199 motor build thread

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I bet that cylinder will clean up. I would get some Muratic Acid, it will eat the aluminum off without damaging the cylinder. Run a hone through it real quick and I bet it's good to go... I have fixed two engines this way, when the owners didn't have enough cash for full builds.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I just used a ball hone to throw a quick cross hatch back in the cylinder. You could use a regular 3 prong square hone as well, it's not as forgiving as ball hone though.

If money is tight just replace that piston and stop beating on your truck until you have the parts or funds set aside to build it.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Motor is getting rebuilt as we speak.

Build will be:
Forged 15:5 Cp Pistons
Carillo rods
Socal AF cam
Pushrods
Arp headstuds
Billet mains
Dowel pin main caps
Half filled
Clevite H bearings

Then before the season, hopefully get a set of good heads, flywheel, and girdle.

Last edited:

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Going forged huh? Half filled block as well. So much for the 800hp street build.
Sounds like a nice build nontheless.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Going forged huh? Half filled block as well. So much for the 800hp street build.
Sounds like a nice build nontheless.

Why a half filled block? Just curious....

all these builds going on make me want to actually turn mine up see what breaks :rofl:

I just figured I might as well to be safe. I want the bottom end as stout as possible. And many have had luck with builds similar to mine.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Truck will be up and running in 2 weeks! Honestly so stoked to have the truck back to drive. I probably won't turn it up much this season. Run the 12.0 and 11.9 classes. Then next season hopefully get better heads, more fuel, more air, refresh the motor, and add a girdle and flex plate.

Lb7_Katie

Lb7 Duramax
Sep 8, 2013
I'm waiting on heads for a couple months, and can't afford all the fueling mods, inter cooler, radiator, and better air to really turn it up until next season.

Gotcha...it is expensive that's for sure. I try not to add it up lol just paying as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Gotcha...it is expensive that's for sure. I try not to add it up lol just paying as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure! Paying for the other stuff is alot easier here and there compared to right after a motor build I should have enough supporting mods to really lay down 900ish hp, I just need to turn it up.