Cknight199 motor build thread

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Better start this thread now... Made a solid 12.1 @112 pass tonight, then a couple mid 14's for et qualifying. Then turned it up again to run another 12.1 and pop she went at the end of the track. Managed to pull a 12.4 @ 98. I let out as soon as I felt the piston go and saw all the smoke. Managed to hold in most of the oil, and not get any on the track.

Was also battling issues with my cp3 controller would randomly stop controlling my top cp3 and rail would shoot through the roof.

Tune was my #4 2200 us that it broke on, never got to make a pass on my 2400 us tune.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408165137.302204.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408165153.987051.jpg

She ran great while she ran! Now I'm just looking at options for the motor build. I'm half temped to buy a cheap beater car and throw forged pistons in the truck.

Feel free to give any advice/tips for the motor build.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408165137.302204.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408165137.302204.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 299
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408165153.987051.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408165153.987051.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 329

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Sounds like a night full of carnage at RMR....

There were a couple trucks that broke (mine included). 2 9 second trucks broke, one got completely sideways (I'll try to find the video). It was a night of carnage but it was fun. I'm more pissed that it blew at the track. I wanted it to blow on a dyno when I could really push it.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I'm still jealous of you all, even if you broke shit. I wish I could make it to some events, but I haven't been able to work on my truck with my broken leg. I still have a bunch of front end work to do and a fprv plug to throw on. Hopefully a low 12 is possible on my first pass. Maybe late this fall but most likely next year before I make it to the track. Good luck on your build bud!

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I'm still jealous of you all, even if you broke shit. I wish I could make it to some events, but I haven't been able to work on my truck with my broken leg. I still have a bunch of front end work to do and a fprv plug to throw on. Hopefully a low 12 is possible on my first pass. Maybe late this fall but most likely next year before I make it to the track. Good luck on your build bud!

Thanks, I must say, dyno events and sled pulls are fun. But the drag events are my favorite by far out of them all. Just the turnout, pit area, and making passes is a blast!

I'll be doing some research in the next few days to see what the plan is. Truck probably won't have a motor in it until next season. It will be back with a vengeance.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Sorry to hear about that man...
:(
At least YOU were having fun when it gave, I was just cruzin down the HWY...

What's your budget look like for the build?

DMAX497

Sep 27, 2012
Utah
Regardless of the all the carnage... Glad to put faces to names! Had a freaking blast out there last night for sure!

My truck is still going :eek:

I was pretty bummed out about your truck though Jake. It would have been a DAMN good race.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Saw this comin ck, hope you did as well as you were pushing it.

2150uS is what I daily on and tow with. Your spiking rail needs to be taken care of or your going to destroy other parts when the new motor is together or even hurt that new motor so keep that in mind.

I would not just throw pistons in it, your rods are next and it won't be long before you turn it up and bend them or throw them through the block. Then you just destroyed the nice pistons you got.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Sorry to hear about that man...
:(
At least YOU were having fun when it gave, I was just cruzin down the HWY...

X2

I agree with James, don't throw it together haphazardly. Since you like racing, think it out and get the necessary parts to make it hold together when you beat on it. Rods, pistons, AF cam would be the minimum. Good luck!

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Saw this comin ck, hope you did as well as you were pushing it.

2150uS is what I daily on and tow with. Your spiking rail needs to be taken care of or your going to destroy other parts when the new motor is together or even hurt that new motor so keep that in mind.

I would not just throw pistons in it, your rods are next and it won't be long before you turn it up and bend them or throw them through the block. Then you just destroyed the nice pistons you got.

Oh the rail pressure was fixed before the motor blew, was a tuning issue.

And I won't cheap out. I will either put a stock motor back in and run it again, or go all out. Im going up to college in a week and wasn't planning on taking the truck with me.

If I build it, it'll have Carrillos, girdle, arp main, billet flex plate, and head studs, lb7 crank, damper, and then still deciding on what heads I would want. Also debating between forged Mahle or Cast Oval pistons. I am still debating between an AF firing cam. I have heard (just heard, still looking for proof) that a couple trucks have thrown a crank even with one in. I'm not sure if the "work" or if they just haven't had the chance to be tested on such a large scale.

like I said, if I build it I'll do it right the first go around. I don't want to be second guessing the motor every time I want to push it, and for the amount you spend on a motor, might as well buy a cheap car to drive around as well to keep the miles off.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Oh the rail pressure was fixed before the motor blew, was a tuning issue.

And I won't cheap out. I will either put a stock motor back in and run it again, or go all out. Im going up to college in a week and wasn't planning on taking the truck with me.

If I build it, it'll have Carrillos, girdle, arp main, billet flex plate, and head studs, lb7 crank, damper, and then still deciding on what heads I would want. Also debating between forged Mahle or Cast Oval pistons. I am still debating between an AF firing cam. I have heard (just heard, still looking for proof) that a couple trucks have thrown a crank even with one in. I'm not sure if the "work" or if they just haven't had the chance to be tested on such a large scale.

like I said, if I build it I'll do it right the first go around. I don't want to be second guessing the motor every time I want to push it, and for the amount you spend on a motor, might as well buy a cheap car to drive around as well to keep the miles off.

I hear ya bud
After reading through some of the response posts in different threads I started I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to build my engine right now...I see one way to "do it right" and it's friggin expensive, I've learned a few valuable lessons along the way and (finally) taken to heart what many here have said over the years, so I ordered up a stock GM LBZ longblock for $6400

Weve got too much on the financial plate to build an engine the way I'd want to, besides, having custom single VGT charger producing a 550-600whp truck as a street only truck is pretty damn fun as it is

DMAX497

Sep 27, 2012
Utah
I was sick to my stomach for a minute when you pulled around and I saw it all right before the races started. My wife and I talked and agreed it was okay if it blows as well...

You, mike, and I are all at that point! Well Caden is officially past.

DMAX497

Sep 27, 2012
Utah
Next year my friends... Who will win?! I'm still stoked I won the 12.0 class!

I just wish there was something other than NADM in Utah. Oh well it was still a freaking blast!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 216

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Next year my friends... Who will win?! I'm still stoked I won the 12.0 class!

I just wish there was something other than NADM in Utah. Oh well it was still a freaking blast!

I now understand why so many people don't support NADM. Unfortunately it's all we have though :( the drags are fun for sure, but today..

Well while I'm at it... They had dirt drags that were 300' long with a 150' shutdown... Trucks would literally just slam on the brakes. Trevor and mike looked at the track and decided not to race, plus then they put them up against 9 second trucks since a "12 second truck is closed to a 9 second truck than it is to an 17 second truck... " so they asked for their money back and no "NADM doesn't offer refunds". Anyways, two 1000+ hp trucks went at it and one went through a cement barrier. The trucks name is the cat-a-max. I'm sure it's all over social media now but boy did we call that one. Luckily everyone was okay.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I was sick to my stomach for a minute when you pulled around and I saw it all right before the races started. My wife and I talked and agreed it was okay if it blows as well...

You, mike, and I are all at that point! Well Caden is officially past.

Well "built" motors don't put you outta the running either it seems smh....... I did have a very interesting conversation with rc from carrillo today though :D

I wish we could have raced man would have been good time :D my reaction times were great Friday night 4 of my 7 passes were .003-.070

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Well "built" motors don't put you outta the running either it seems smh....... I did have a very interesting conversation with rc from carrillo today though :D

I wish we could have raced man would have been good time :D my reaction times were great Friday night 4 of my 7 passes were .003-.070

I hear they have a new prototype piston and are looking for someone to test them ;)