Chevelle upgrades.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Cylinder cleaned up well, new piston with rings and pin. New SoCal rod. Checked the mains and rod bearings, they all look new so rolling with it.

8104c38ab772419bc1919e4c2c672f4a.jpg

e120f7b4edc0f2af936978e7c990f577.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Hope ya don't experience what I did with race cast pistons.

Took a used set that had about 20hrs at 800hp in a boat when one cracked. Put that set, along with one new in a 500hp boat engine, only made it about 10hrs, she cracked another.. Scrapped the whole set and went ovals since it was my warranty work to eat then.

That set was suppose to be shipped back to Fingers to examine the pin area on the remaining 6 for anything of value.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
The last 3 sets I've used have all had 1 crack. 1 set in a ~400rwhp hotshot dually, and 2 sets in 1000 rwhp trucks. It almost seems like they have had a quality issue or design change in the last 5 years. All the sets I've used or been a part of years ago(like 8 to 10) are still going strong.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kidturbo

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Time will tell, it’s back together and driving down the road. We test here next week to ensure everything is still where it was and get ready for sick week in February.

I’m being hopeful but do realize I’m on borrowed time and better parts are out there. Rolling the dice and gonna start planning the new build. This one still has stock crank, main caps and bone stock cali heads.

Gonna turn the power down some and rely on short track, need to get that more consistent and faster. Also going to move the nitrous nozzles further away from the intake in hopes of spreading the mixture better prior to hitting the intake floor and slow the flow down some. Nozzles are currently 6-8 inches now from the intake floor. Going to move them as far as possible and pre IC, will be over 2’ away once this is done. And also continue limiting the shot. Was on a 800 hit 1 to many times

IMG_1205.jpg

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The downside of moving them pre IC is you lose a lot of efficiency in the IC. The hotter the charge entering the IC is, the more efficient it is.

For the coldest charge air temp, you need the nitrous after the IC, even if only just.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Did you see something in your tear down that showed or looked like you were not getting even distribution to all the cylinders ? or is it more of a theory test and just see what happens ?

Keep it up. Seeing your Chevelle makes me want to stop with the side work and get going on mine

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
A little of both. This is the 2nd #4 piston I’ve lost since going to this intake. I’ve heard of others out there with the issue, number 3&4 pistons.

Those 2 holes seem like the straightest shot from the IC plumbing to the cylinders, so it possible based on how fast the air is moving it goes to those holes more then the others.

Just a thought. I also realize I’m way past what’s recommended for power with this combo, so there’s that too….

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I've never actually sprayed a diesel personally. However back in the 90s, I sprayed a hundred different gassers. NOS dealer for a decade, and beta tested the first progressive controller unit to hit the market.

My specialty was extremely well hidden street systems. Like direct port under the intake, 20# bottle in spare tire hole. Purge into the exhaust.

But those sneaky Pete on steroids style setups usually suffered failures due to trash in a fuel jet. Is hard to explain a hole in top of a piston, when your naturally asperated... lol fun times.

What I learned that's actually transferable to this discussion, direct port as close to the valve as you can get is your sweet spot. Equal distribution is key. Even in a diesel, pistons don't like a blow touch on em while their neighbor is a richer mixture. They all prefer to all be fueled and cooled equally.

I finally outgrew the low power plates and under intake stuff and went full stackded proshot foggers, on a tunnel ram with efi. Piston holes went away, even with 400-600hp shots. So maybe look at stacking some jetted nozzles shooting right down the pipes.. I do appreciate ghetto fogging for its simplicity.. lol

Bests

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
I've never actually sprayed a diesel personally. However back in the 90s, I sprayed a hundred different gassers. NOS dealer for a decade, and beta tested the first progressive controller unit to hit the market.

My specialty was extremely well hidden street systems. Like direct port under the intake, 20# bottle in spare tire hole. Purge into the exhaust.

But those sneaky Pete on steroids style setups usually suffered failures due to trash in a fuel jet. Is hard to explain a hole in top of a piston, when your naturally asperated... lol fun times.

What I learned that's actually transferable to this discussion, direct port as close to the valve as you can get is your sweet spot. Equal distribution is key. Even in a diesel, pistons don't like a blow touch on em while their neighbor is a richer mixture. They all prefer to all be fueled and cooled equally.

I finally outgrew the low power plates and under intake stuff and went full stackded proshot foggers, on a tunnel ram with efi. Piston holes went away, even with 400-600hp shots. So maybe look at stacking some jetted nozzles shooting right down the pipes.. I do appreciate ghetto fogging for its simplicity.. lol

Bests

This is for sure the answer. I just need time and planning with the right parts to make it happen.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
And another 2 bite the dust. Same original set just 2 more broke last month at sick week. Numbers 6&8, topside looks perfect on both pistons. So broke the sides and underneath on both.

Switching to Mahle forged now and other upgrades. 2nd pump coming, bigger injectors and possibly better flowing heads with a bigger cam.

d510460c0fe1cb60fbaa4fcaa806f73d.jpg

75969d943438f7599bfc089bfbaeec33.jpg

cc94475c4aae99d3cee1eb162a973123.jpg

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
That's an interesting break on both of those....

How much spray were you running and what kind of power is putting down?

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Did you pick up a new truck Rick?

I did, it got to the shop today. It’s Brian’s old LLY.

I know it has a lot of history on the track. I have no intentions of keeping it that way. Most of the go fast parts have been allocated to my car, and my workers trucks. They both have trucks they are building and are literally scavenging parts of my new truck. My new truck will be going together as a fairly stock truck to replace my 02 LLY, motor is already on the stand and hope to be a long block by this weekend. I’ll be selling my 02 soon but as an LB7.