Cheating in work stock

maddogg101920

I break stuff
Mar 2, 2007
CECIL COUNTY, MD
They had a post on fb last night asking how far people are driving to pull. I was tempted to post, "The greater question is how far are folks driving to pull street because they can't trailer to the pull?" That's my biggest pet peeve with street class.....cause lets make it rwyb, you can't dd a 475 or even a big twin kit. Don't get me wrong, I'll still pull but it pisses me off when the guy with a big charger wins and brags about it. Only because they won't pull in the correct class because they don't need any safety equipment and know they can't hang. :rolleyes:

They don't know how to tech or are to lazy to tech ws properly so they just make it easier for them.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
They had a post on fb last night asking how far people are driving to pull. I was tempted to post, "The greater question is how far are folks driving to pull street because they can't trailer to the pull?" That's my biggest pet peeve with street class.....cause lets make it rwyb, you can't dd a 475 or even a big twin kit. Don't get me wrong, I'll still pull but it pisses me off when the guy with a big charger wins and brags about it. Only because they won't pull in the correct class because they don't need any safety equipment and know they can't hang. :rolleyes:

Why can't you dd a 475? :rolleyes:

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
It's only cheating if you get caught...;)

No cheating is cheating. You only look like a bitch if you get caught (subtle difference).

If the kid bought the truck and was not aware of the weight, I could maybe see it, but knowingly running it is cheating.

Cheating to win (or even not win) is a bitch move in my book. Apparently Shawn had no issue with it when competing against me years ago. If it took him cheating to beat me, I guess I feel bad for the guy. If you look at the results, it wasn't really until our scales broke (ran over half a year without them) that he ended up putting the footage on us. Not sure when he put it in, but it was only the end of the last season that he was keeping up and/or winning.

Tim I know it falls on Cody because it is his truck, but as a former tech inspector FOR THE CLUB, I'm a little disappointed that you did not ask him to remove it or let us know it was there if he refused. People know you are helping him with the tuning and other parts on the truck, so it looks bad for you and for your shop knowing the truck was running illegally.

I've had to ask friends who are cheating to change their trucks and have even made mention of it to other pullers when they have not so that it gets remedied. I'm sure they are not happy with me about it, but it's better for the club and I sleep better at night.

The sad part is, now any time a truck from your shop does well, people will automatically assume they are cheating (even if they aren't).

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
You pullers get so bent out of shape.

The rules are vague, I don't understand why. probably why I have always been drawn to drags. You don't have to start from scratch, look at the NHRA book, the setup and how they word things is spot on.

but you haven't pulled until you have pulled one of these!!

radio_flyer_little_red_wagon_12_5_inch_mini_wagon_5_p46.jpg

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
i raced a mustang gt one time we raced 3 times
first race i blew his doors off he said he missed a gear
next race he blew my doors off buddy droped arms to soon and i didnt get a good launch
third race we were neck and neck the hole way so we decided they were even

by the time i got back to where my friends were they were asking me how it felf to get beat i was like wtf we were even and there like o thats not what we heard :eek:

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
No cheating is cheating. You only look like a bitch if you get caught (subtle difference).

If the kid bought the truck and was not aware of the weight, I could maybe see it, but knowingly running it is cheating.

Cheating to win (or even not win) is a bitch move in my book. Apparently Shawn had no issue with it when competing against me years ago. If it took him cheating to beat me, I guess I feel bad for the guy. If you look at the results, it wasn't really until our scales broke (ran over half a year without them) that he ended up putting the footage on us. Not sure when he put it in, but it was only the end of the last season that he was keeping up and/or winning.

Tim I know it falls on Cody because it is his truck, but as a former tech inspector FOR THE CLUB, I'm a little disappointed that you did not ask him to remove it or let us know it was there if he refused. People know you are helping him with the tuning and other parts on the truck, so it looks bad for you and for your shop knowing the truck was running illegally.

I've had to ask friends who are cheating to change their trucks and have even made mention of it to other pullers when they have not so that it gets remedied. I'm sure they are not happy with me about it, but it's better for the club and I sleep better at night.

The sad part is, now any time a truck from your shop does well, people will automatically assume they are cheating (even if they aren't).

The other sad part is even if you guys starting running your "club" legit people will still think your crooked. I watched you check the 7.3 that pulls with you guys off your list in CT after she drove around the scales. How were you being fair to the rest of the people pulling? How do you think that makes you look? Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. It's Cody's truck not the shops we didn't build or touch a thing on that truck aside from doing the head gaskets. I said it before I'll say it again I'm glad Cody got caught because no one should be cheating be it the people pulling or the people running the show.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
The other sad part is even if you guys starting running your "club" legit people will still think your crooked. I watched you check the 7.3 that pulls with you guys off your list in CT after she drove around the scales. How were you being fair to the rest of the people pulling? How do you think that makes you look? Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. It's Cody's truck not the shops we didn't build or touch a thing on that truck aside from doing the head gaskets. I said it before I'll say it again I'm glad Cody got caught because no one should be cheating be it the people pulling or the people running the show.

I agree and even spoke to Jay about that. Derek even told him "it's not right". Jay knew she was legal as he was the one who redesigned her bump stops and knew she was light because he did not put the ballast back in her bed and told her to pull around as she was one of the next ones to pull (she drove the truck to the pull and home).

She was one of the trucks I DQ'd in Cummington for running solid stops (which also started a Facebook frenzy if you check her page out), so it's not like we were playing favorites. Her turbo is legal, she was underweight, and her stops were fixed. I told Jay if she came in the money she was being teched after the pull as to not seem biased. Unfortunately her truck didn't even break the top 10.

I checked the sheet and she came in at 17th position so we did not re-tech her, but I absolutely agree with you and it was not my call. That was a decision made by a board member (not one I agreed with), but luckily she wasn't cheating.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I agree and even spoke to Jay about that. Derek even told him "it's not right". Jay knew she was legal as he was the one who redesigned her bump stops and knew she was light because he did not put the ballast back in her bed and told her to pull around as she was one of the next ones to pull (she drove the truck to the pull and home).

She was one of the trucks I DQ'd in Cummington for running solid stops (which also started a Facebook frenzy), so it's not like we were playing favorites. Her turbo is legal, she was underweight, and her stops were fixed. I told Jay if she came in the money she was being teched after the pull as to not seem biased. Unfortunately her truck didn't even break the top 10.

I checked the sheet and she came in at 17th position so we did not re-tech her, but I absolutely agree with you and it was not my call. That was a decision made by a board member (not one I agreed with), but luckily she wasn't cheating.

Understandable but to those looking in it didn't look good.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
If that's how people want to look at us, so be it. I, personally, have always followed the rules to the T building my truck. I Dont have an NTPA hitch like this years rules require, I Dont have the time and money to build one and make it work with my truck and still do what I want to do with it. Otherwise you could go over my truck with a fine tooth comb like some would want every pull. Chris, we've been friends a long time, so I won't get into this further on here. Its not the place. If we are lucky enough to start winning with Cody's truck, tech that baby every week for all I care.

derek06

Feb 6, 2012
massachusetts
You pullers get so bent out of shape.

The rules are vague, I don't understand why. probably why I have always been drawn to drags. You don't have to start from scratch, look at the NHRA book, the setup and how they word things is spot on.

but you haven't pulled until you have pulled one of these!!

radio_flyer_little_red_wagon_12_5_inch_mini_wagon_5_p46.jpg

Our rules are pretty black and white no weight further forward than the front of the bed and 1" of compression travel in the rear... Some trucks were having a hard time with that.

And idk if my truck could move one of those I might snap a tierod.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
What could possibly be a legitimate reason to not want every truck teched every time. I mean if I wanted to cheat and I knew once I passed a thorough tech inspection that no one would check me again, I'd just make sure I was good to go that first time. I would thinking it's in everyone's best interest to have all of the trucks check every time as if they'd never pulled with you guys before.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
You need Techs like the NFL has referees! Just aint gonna happen I believe at these small town pulls do to NOT having the "neutral" knowledgeable people to do the tech'ing (is that a word?) and I'd imagine the time it takes! It's more of a honor thing and we know there is NO honor amongst thieves but that really doesn't relate to this! :D

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
What could possibly be a legitimate reason to not want every truck teched every time. I mean if I wanted to cheat and I knew once I passed a thorough tech inspection that no one would check me again, I'd just make sure I was good to go that first time. I would thinking it's in everyone's best interest to have all of the trucks check every time as if they'd never pulled with you guys before.

Around here they only tech the trucks that place in the money ( when they do tech )

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Around here they only tech the trucks that place in the money ( when they do tech )

Good point, I should have stated that as well. I'm only talking about competition for money. If there's no money involved and you feel the need to cheat, you're probably a really sad person inside:)

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org

The club I'm sure would love to tech every truck, everytime, and even post pull but logistics just doesn't allow that to happen.

A complete check (such as pumping motors, checking turbo inlet size, checking for ballast....lead poured into front sheetmetal pockets, etc etc.) is just not feasable with a volunteer group such as ours (not a single person is paid for what they do in general).

For one all teching is done by volunteers. Trust me I've said I was going to stop doing long time ago as I've been screamed at, yelled at, threatened, etc and I get nothing in return other than knowing I tried to make it better, but keep being asked to do it as nobody else wants to on a regular basis (other than Ralph). Many times it's time, weather, and space that make it tough to do a thorough check of each truck. Most of the time we are lucky to get a hitch height check and overall weight check. I will say that when a truck doesn't go over the scale (as was pointed out earlier in this thread), then we hear about it, or if someone is seen "adjusting" something after tech, so basic things usually don't get missed. Turbo size, hidden ballast, and things that are not quickly checkable or visually obvious often get missed. Bumps stops were brought up at one point as a few of the other volunteer techs were not checking them (and actually weren't aware they were supposed to for that class) and I can't be in two places at once, but people could easily see there was not an 1" of space (right in plain site) on SEVERAL trucks so I was asked to check. Some trucks were close (all it took was some redistribution of weight or a slight tweak to a traction bar to fix and probably weren't aware they weren't compliant) while others were SOLID and most likely knew it. They were told to fix or remove before being allowed for points/money. We hope people would not do illegal things, but it happens. Sometimes intentionally and sometimes not.

Sometimes things sound easy on paper, but aren't so easy in practical use. The club wants to tech every truck every time, it's just not practical considering our makeup.