"Charlie Horse" of the biceps...advice

hbcbob3

Yay, that is stupid...
Mar 31, 2009
Beulah, MO
I am not in good shape, but I want to work at getting in better shape. I DESPISE running, but I like lifting. The only problem is, when I'm lifting using my biceps, many times, I get a charlie horse in my arm. It will tense up and then finally relax within about 15 seconds. If I have been lifting and then just lift my arm alone, it will occur again. Both arms are affected, and it's a little painful...although not as much as a CH in my leg, and they don't seem to last quite as long either.

I have tried drinking more water, eating more potassium, but when lifting a bunch (not necessarily heavily) it happens. Even if I am working and moving objects around, it can happen.

Any advice would be great.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Work on flexibility... it sounds as if you haven't been active enough recently and your muscles will tighten up. I would not be doing any lifting right now if I was you. Prior to lifting do you stretch properly?

hbcbob3

Yay, that is stupid...
Mar 31, 2009
Beulah, MO
Typically not...I usually do not do much stretching. I knew that I should, but I usually don't spend much time on it.

So from what you're saying, I should be spending a lot of time on it?

So how should I transition into lifting by not doing it right now/what would you recommend?

Background: I am mainly just looking to tone up a little. I'm a bigger guy anyway, so I'm not looking for a six pack, but to de-flab.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Also look into your diet... an example is eat lean ie. Lean meat chicken, turkey, and fish (salmon, halibut) stay away from red meat it is not great for you.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Flexibility is very crucial. you can potentially hurt yourself very badly by just picking up some free weights and going to town. A pre workout stretch routine followed by a post workout stretch routine will help you out tremulously

hbcbob3

Yay, that is stupid...
Mar 31, 2009
Beulah, MO
Flexibility is very crucial. you can potentially hurt yourself very badly by just picking up some free weights and going to town. A pre workout stretch routine followed by a post workout stretch routine will help you out tremulously

I guess I'm going to start a stretch routine before I do anything. My flexibility is NOT good, and if it will help me out with the lifting problem at least it would be worth it to me.

hbcbob3

Yay, that is stupid...
Mar 31, 2009
Beulah, MO
When drinking lots of water, make sure you are getting enough salt. Not enough salt will give you muscle cramps.

Ha! Trust me, I'm pretty sure I get enough salt. I have had symptoms of water retention under the skin. Not bad, mind you, but IIRC, I think that's a symptom of high salt diet?

I have been working on drinking more water, and generally I do as opposed to other liquids. I drink less than one soda a week. I do drink sweet tea almost every day, but only for dinner. And I drink black coffee almost every day. During the day though, it's 90% water.

Thanks for the replies guys!

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
Too much water can flush minerals out, so make sure you are putting them back. At the risk of sounding fruity, how about Yoga? Works great for stretching, and relaxing. Add some yoga to your weight regimen.

hbcbob3

Yay, that is stupid...
Mar 31, 2009
Beulah, MO
Too much water can flush minerals out, so make sure you are putting them back. At the risk of sounding fruity, how about Yoga? Works great for stretching, and relaxing. Add some yoga to your weight regimen.

I dunno how "fruity" it is...I hear some of that shit is really hard to do.

What would you guys recommend to put the minerals back? Multi-vitamins or what?

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Usually when I lift I will do a few sets of something like dumbell bench press with pretty light weights to loosen up a but. I know you said you hate running but for me that is where I see my weight loss. Maybe try getting into a cardio routine if it be just walking on a treadmill or using an elliptical for 20 to 25 minutes.

hbcbob3

Yay, that is stupid...
Mar 31, 2009
Beulah, MO
Usually when I lift I will do a few sets of something like dumbell bench press with pretty light weights to loosen up a but. I know you said you hate running but for me that is where I see my weight loss. Maybe try getting into a cardio routine if it be just walking on a treadmill or using an elliptical for 20 to 25 minutes.

Ellipticals I don't mind...actually, they're pretty sweet...I just hate running/jogging, or jögging. If only I had the funds for an elliptical...I would use one of them. I could walk...running around my area would result in quite a few rolled ankles I think (I'm out in the sticks w/ no pavement)...that is if the rain will ever quit.

I know cardio is important for weight loss, and I just need to do it.

eric6272

Dec 31, 2010
Coffee/caffeine is a diuretic. Depending on how much coffee and water you are drinking you could be depleting the amount of water in your muscles. Muscles, tendons, and ligaments need lubrication. Try cutting out the coffee and just drink water for a while. See if that helps. Omega 3 (flaxseed and fish oil vitamins) could also help out quite a bit too in terms of lubrication. Im no doctor but im just sharing my experiences. Good luck!

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I don't know what it is with the ellipticals...I just can't get my heart rate up on them, and my motion feels restricted...almost like I'm taking half steps. I like cycling much more for cardio.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008

You should have "warm" muscles whenever you stretch. Its good to do a light warm up lift or jog for 15-20 min stretch then lift then stretch. I will stretch between lifts if I am particularly tight in a given area. Stretching cold muscles is not as effective.

hbcbob3

Yay, that is stupid...
Mar 31, 2009
Beulah, MO
Coffee/caffeine is a diuretic. Depending on how much coffee and water you are drinking you could be depleting the amount of water in your muscles. Muscles, tendons, and ligaments need lubrication. Try cutting out the coffee and just drink water for a while. See if that helps. Omega 3 (flaxseed and fish oil vitamins) could also help out quite a bit too in terms of lubrication. Im no doctor but im just sharing my experiences. Good luck!

I'm only drinking maybe 16-20 oz per day.

So what would you recommend for vitamins and minerals?