Change oil indicator

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
I have an 08 LMM, I just took a cross country road trip from Arizona to Michigan and I was going through my oil precentage very quickly. I left AZ had 48% left arrive in Oaklahoma was down to 22% 984 miles had Valvoline change my oil there reset computer to 100 % arrive in Michigan 1,164 miles and i was down to 48%. Truck also sounded funny so I changed oil 15 40 rotella and Mobile 1 oil filter. Drive around MI for 8 days put 500 miles on the truck forgot to check % before I left. Arrived back in Oaklahoma was back down to 16%.

My question is, is it possible that Valvoline gave me some major crap oil and is causing my percentage to drop like crazy maybe even clogging something or should I just not worry about it? Also when driving at higher speeds 75+ for 2K miles will you "burn through the oil" quicker vs local city driving.

When I changed the oil in Michigan it seemed a bit on the burnt side still had the slickness but not like I would be expecting from 1200 miles. Plus the filter they put on was a white generic RV filter.

HELP Any quesses?

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
only 2 things I've done to the truck is 1. K & N air filter drop in 2. using PPE on level 2.

Local driving was doing about 4000 to 4500 miles before was down to about 20%

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
Also today I reset my computer back to factory for the programmer and I got a P0101 which is a mass airflow error. Is it possible that my K&N air filter is causing all of my problems and making it "burn up the oil"?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There is no sensor that tells the computer the quality of the oil. I've heard of some people having oil monitor problems with different tuning. It could be something to do with the PPE programmer.

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
IIRC oil percentage is calculated off RPMs and mileage. Most vehicles I've seen get 7k-10k miles after an oil life reset depending how hard you drive it.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Your P0101 code is your POS K&N oiled air filter. My $.02 is to throw it as far as you can, and put an OEM filter back in it. Either an AC DELCO or a good WIX. Either one is better than the K&N filter. Secondly, buy some MAF cleaner and clean the oil from your POS K&N off the MAF sensor to get rid of the P0101 MAF performance code. This is a COMMON problem with oiled filters(not just K&N), and is a cause for ALOT of headaches. As for your oil life dropping, it is a fairly common issue with tuners. To date I have had 1 truck that would drop from 100% to 0% in under 1K miles, and several others I have emailed tunes to that have dropped in about 3K miles. LMM's can make you pull your hair out with some of the tuning quirks of them. Also increased regens WILL DRASTICALLY shorten the oil life.

IronDX

Jun 14, 2013
Id say your truck is in regen way too often. Maybe the tuner was causing the DPF to fill up quicker, & trigger regens more often then normal. Regens can cause the oil life meter to drop like a rock.

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
Id say your truck is in regen way too often. Maybe the tuner was causing the DPF to fill up quicker, & trigger regens more often then normal. Regens can cause the oil life meter to drop like a rock.

That being said my 08 is unique I don't actually have a DPF and I don't have the regen light on my dash.

Also as for the programmer and K&N Ive had those on the truck for over 10K never had an issue until I drove cross country and had Valvoline change my oil.

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
If you don't have a DPF, someone deleted it.

No one deleted the DPF the truck still thinks its there as it still does a regen. How I know its doing a regen I have a bluetooth adaptor and I watch a number of sensors and and the one that I usually pay attention to the the Catalyst Temperature bank 1 sensor 1. When I see that go over 1000 degree's I know the truck is doing a regen. The computer still does the regen but I don't have the light on the dash nor the DPF filter under the truck.

Attachments

• torque.png
    torque.png
    444.3 KB · Views: 28

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
No one deleted the DPF the truck still thinks its there as it still does a regen. How I know its doing a regen I have a bluetooth adaptor and I watch a number of sensors and and the one that I usually pay attention to the the Catalyst Temperature bank 1 sensor 1. When I see that go over 1000 degree's I know the truck is doing a regen. The computer still does the regen but I don't have the light on the dash nor the DPF filter under the truck.

I can promise you it had a DPF from the factory. What light on the dash are you talking about?

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
I was told there is supposed to be a light on the dash when it goes into regeneration mode. From what I've seen on other trucks and pictures the spot where that light is I don't have anything right there.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ive never seen a light come on for regen in my dads 2010. that was on a 12hr towing trip to South Lake Tahoe from Phx AZ. his truck is 100% stock and fully loaded

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There is no light that indicates when the engine is in regen mode.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
All GM 2500 and 3500s had DPF since 2007.5 I have never seen a regen light on any LMM ever. If you did not order the truck and not the 1st owner the other guy deleted the DPF. I want an RPO sheet for this truck If you say it did not ever have a DPF. Also photos of where it should be in the exhaust.