Catastrophic turbo failure - 72mm Danville performance- Now what?

Papapark

Mar 20, 2012
Regina, SK
I blew my turbo up. It's been on for 10 years, tuned to 700rwhp, so it owes me nothing and was fantastic. I'd recommend them if they were still in operation. I have not even taken off the intake tube to look yet, but the dents protruding from the bend in my hot side intercooler pipe told me enough.

If it can be rebuilt, who could I send it to?
If it can't be rebuilt, who would you recommend for its replacement? I will probably want to do another large MM Vgt again.

Thanks!!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Photos or it didn't happen 🤣

Reach out to Brad with K&D service or Josh with top notch garage. Either one can probably get you a suitable replacement

Reactions: 1FastBrick and Dm23

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I think it was Todd who was going to do a big test of some "name brand" modded vgts. Not sure if it ever came to fruition

Papapark

Mar 20, 2012
Regina, SK
Photos or it didn't happen 🤣

Reach out to Brad with K&D service or Josh with top notch garage. Either one can probably get you a suitable replacement
I will. I only took one quick one, while I was outside. I should have had the presence of mind to video the bellows of white smoke while I was pulling over on the highway! I ballooned the air filter, PVC reroute puked oil all over the ground, the dipstick popped out, and right after I turned it off white smoke was coming out of both the air filter and tailpipe for a few minutes.

• Wow
Reactions: 2004LB7

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I will. I only took one quick one, while I was outside. I should have had the presence of mind to video the bellows of white smoke while I was pulling over on the highway! I ballooned the air filter, PVC reroute puked oil all over the ground, the dipstick popped out, and right after I turned it off white smoke was coming out of both the air filter and tailpipe for a few minutes.
That sounds a little more serious than a turbo failure. Pretty much the only time I see a dipstick get pushed out is when you have lots of crankcase pressure which is typically only when you crack a piston; I can't imagine how a turbo failure could cause that much crankcase pressure. Not trying to scare you or anything, but how thoroughly have you diagnosed the problem?

Last edited:

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
That sounds a little more serious than a turbo failure. Pretty much the only time I see a dipstick get pushed out is when you have lots of crankcase pressure which is typically only when you crank a piston; I can't imagine how a turbo failure could cause that much crankcase pressure. Not trying to scare you or anything, but how thoroughly have you diagnosed the problem?
The same thoughts entered my mind when i read that.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Papapark

Mar 20, 2012
Regina, SK
That sounds a little more serious than a turbo failure. Pretty much the only time I see a dipstick get pushed out is when you have lots of crankcase pressure which is typically only when you crack a piston; I can't imagine how a turbo failure could cause that much crankcase pressure. Not trying to scare you or anything, but how thoroughly have you diagnosed the problem?
How would I diagnose?

Before I noticed the dents in the tube, I checked the oil and started the truck, it idled as normal, no smoke.

And I have been so busy with work and PUPPIES, I haven't even pulled off the intake tube yet. So zero diag so far...

Last edited:

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
My truck blew the dip stick out maybe 3 times at the drag strip and I was worried I had big problems but the truck ran fine no blow by or anything else wrong so I pinched the tube a little… that same season it ended up putting a rod and piston through the block. I always wondered if it was related to the engine blowing up.

• Wow
Reactions: Papapark

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
When marine diesels start to blow the dipstick out that’s when captains know it’s time for a rebuild. I’ve seen them duct taped to the tube to keep them in so they could keep running charters. Usually indicates ring wear or a crack somewhere.