Casper Carnage

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
kat i may have a complete lbz coming to me tht i dont need and some how paid for :confused: let me know if you guys want it i;) need to get rid of it asap. its a 07 with 12,000 miles complete

Tommy, PM me a price and I will ask Pat if that is what he is looking for and let you know.

Thanks

the4wheeler

--->(Something Funny)<---
May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
that's some serious carnage! defenetly some good pieces there to hang up on the wall.

well if your gona blow up your motor might as well do it big! none of this single cracked piston crap! were going for full nuclear meltdown! ( which kinda looks like what happened)

hope the new motor build goes smothly!

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
I know of one for 3700 or so complete. Boy i was wondering whos motor tht was in the shop when i dropped mine off tht thing was toast

I hope you understand that I was unable to discuss this with you, we protect our clients confidentiality.

That there is some bad carnage!!! I just wonder how your figure NOS was the cause of that? That baby had some big time heat in her. Jeff

Nitrous seems to be a "very" common factor in piston failure at this power level.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Nitrous seems to be a "very" common factor in piston failure at this power level.

Obviously Nitrous gives you more power (more O2 to burn more fuel) and that in turn creates higher cylinder pressures. I would have expected piston cracking from Nitrous (high CP's) or bent rods. What about nitrous causes that erosion? I would think that since nitrous is supposed to keep cylinder temps and EGT's down, it would help fight erosion. Or is it that Pat is fueling it so much that the even Nitrous is still not enough to combat cylinder and eg temps?

Sorry to see the carnage, but congrats on the times. Although it's carnage, I'm sure there are some very smart people who are learning from this failure and that information will be used to take the DMax to the next level.....thanks for the "sacrifice".

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Aluminum is flammable under high enough oxygen pressure and temperature, especially in the presence of a catalyst like nitrous.

Aluminum powder is used in certain flares and in solid rocket boosters.

There are no signs of "melting" like you would see if you took a torch to aluminum, the material becomes the thin coat of aluminum oxide after it burns and attaches itself to the first cool surface.

Perhaps with a stock turbo you might not get enough pressure to light it, but it will happen if the pressure goes high enough.

Oddly enough, the piston undersides do not show the classical "oil varnish" that you will see on an overheated piston. The heat is apparently localized in the surface of the piston. Perhaps it happens so quick, that there is not time to transfer the heat. You need both heat and time to get something hot.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
He has no idea:( The gauges stopped working when he ripped the A-pilar off and tried moving them to the dash :eek:

I thought I remembered pat saying the EGT's were holding at about 1350 or something thru the run???

EDIT: nvmind I saw your second post.

boy I wonder what the oil temps were on that run. :eek:

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I thought I remembered pat saying the EGT's were holding at about 1350 or something thru the run???

First 2 runs where 1200 to 1250 iirc. That was for the 3 run. The gauges didn't work for the last run when the engine shut off.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
ever tryed water injection and is nitrious something you have to run?

Nitrous is not allowed in DT class, but pure water from a sealed bottle is. Then they seal your water tank. Tech is very through, and very strict at LSR races.

I run a Snow system that consumes about 1/2 gallon a pass.

We ran a handful of passes in Texas last year with a .070" jet of nitrous hooked up to horn relay. Now I know that wasn't too bright. I had run 10.83 in practice with no bottle, but the index was 10.50 so I ran it. It only dropped .2 off the ET, so it certainly wasn't worth it.

Then when we got home we ran a few passes on the bottle at Cal Speedway.

For sled pulling, no bottle is allowed either, and no water.

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
Nitrous is not allowed in DT class, but pure water from a sealed bottle is. Then they seal your water tank. Tech is very through, and very strict at LSR races.

I run a Snow system that consumes about 1/2 gallon a pass.

We ran a handful of passes in Texas last year with a .070" jet of nitrous hooked up to horn relay. Now I know that wasn't too bright. I had run 10.83 in practice with no bottle, but the index was 10.50 so I ran it. It only dropped .2 off the ET, so it certainly wasn't worth it.

Then when we got home we ran a few passes on the bottle at Cal Speedway.

For sled pulling, no bottle is allowed either, and no water.

whats the turbo rules you have to go by. how does the snow system hold up and how many nozzles you run with it.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
There are no limits to quantity or size of turbochargers in DT class, you can run triples if you want. But if you go by the Production rules (there is no diesel production class, only gas) you can only run one charger.

Not sure how the Snow system works. It drops the EGT's about 150 deg, but it hasn't saved the pistons. Pistons looked better BEFORE we ran water.

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
There are no limits to quantity or size of turbochargers in DT class, you can run triples if you want. But if you go by the Production rules (there is no diesel production class, only gas) you can only run one charger.

Not sure how the Snow system works. It drops the EGT's about 150 deg, but it hasn't saved the pistons. Pistons looked better BEFORE we ran water.

ok are you running meth in the water or is it staight water? water injection should drop them farther than that. we ran 2200 deg and i can drop them to 1400 with water.