Can't keep IC pipes on

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Hey guys, my intercooler pipe on the driverside keeps blowing off... sometimes I see 21 or 22 psi and there's no problems, other times I'm passing traffic down hill with only 4 psi and it blows off. The 1st time it happened, I was going uphill pushing 20 psi and looked at it like a fluke from a highly powerful engine. Now I'm getting pretty annoyed! Lastnite it blew off while merging onto the highway. There was no traffic, I was only at like 50 or 60% throttle and only pushing like 6 psi.
Nothing looks to be physically damaged.
Does anybody have any suggestions, besides the obvious $500 new kit or tightening the clams tighter?
Thanks

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
buy a new boot and a new clamp. when they blow off, they generally become easier and easier to blow off and the clamp can stretch out.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Stock pipe and boot? On the LB7 in your signature? Blowing boot off turbo or pipe out of boot?

Jacy_dzlguy

lots to learn...
Aug 27, 2011
South Florida
Like james said if it comes off regularly its usually shot. My last one i did looked fine but after feeling around i found a small soft area where it was stretching..

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
50 to 60% throttle and only making about 6 psi of boost? Are you sure you dont have a rag stuck in there?

ryjack135

Sep 9, 2018
Where is your sensor for your gauge tapped into? Also like they said hair spray is magical when it comes to holding them on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
It all depends on the tune. I run my setup pretty non-linear, and I'm probably about the same boost at that throttle position. Makes it really smooth to drive around other traffic.

I'd check the boot, and if it feels OK, just put a new nylock on the clamp. That's all that actually wears out. It's an American thread, I want to say 1/4-20 or 1/4-28. Just bring a clamp in to a hardware store and match it.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I thought so too, but had to replace one and it was 100% American thread on my 2003 LB7. Seemed odd to me, but thread gauges don't lie.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I had issues with my driverside doing the same thing after i had removed that pipe. At minimum get a new clamp and spray hairspray on the silicon boot and tube.

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll get a new 90* boot and clamp. The boot stays on the IC but the pipe blows out everytime. I couldn't feel any damage inside or out but the silicon didn't seem as thick and sturdy as it should. I hope that does the trick.
So how does the hairspray work? Like lube to help get it on the pipe or like glue when it drys?
I'm not sure what the tune is like... I have an Edge CS on Level 1 economy mode... so you tell me? It is pretty smooth and the boost doesn't really pick up too fast at 50% until the RPMs get higher.
On the way home tonite I was pushing 20 psi... alot... and no problems! But now I need a handful of clips for the inner fender cover... somehow the tire (I think) yanked it and broke them all

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll get a new 90* boot and clamp. The boot stays on the IC but the pipe blows out everytime. I couldn't feel any damage inside or out but the silicon didn't seem as thick and sturdy as it should. I hope that does the trick.
So how does the hairspray work? Like lube to help get it on the pipe or like glue when it drys?
I'm not sure what the tune is like... I have an Edge CS on Level 1 economy mode... so you tell me? It is pretty smooth and the boost doesn't really pick up too fast at 50% until the RPMs get higher.
On the way home tonite I was pushing 20 psi... alot... and no problems! But now I need a handful of clips for the inner fender cover... somehow the tire (I think) yanked it and broke them all

I believe you have the idea with the hairspray

ryjack135

Sep 9, 2018

Spray it on thick and then install it onto the pipe quickly or it will dry and be very tough to install. It’s always worked great for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk