can a 6l90 from a 12 duramax van work behind a lbz?

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
hey guys im making plans to put a duramax into a 71 monte carlo. I just purchased 2 2012 duramax lgh motors with 6l90 2wd transmissions behind them. I plan on turning a lgh into a lbz engine but I was wondering if its possible to get the 6l90 to work with the lbz computer?

thanks for any input, Anthony

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
another question is what would be better to run in a 3500# car 4L80 OR A 6L90. It looks like a 6l90 has a real low first gear almost unusable? 2nd gear start?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Be more specific about the 4L80. Used? What year? How much power in the engine? If it's going behind a Duramax, It will need more clutches, pressure and heat treated gear train.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Sorry mike, let's say a 4l80 out of a 2007 Chevy express Duramax. Now I would like to put it in a 71 Monte Carlo behind a lbz Duramax. I'm trying to get an idea if the stock trans would take will say 400 horse and 800 torque? Or will the trans need a full upgrade unless I detune the motor as if it was a van?

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Sorry mike, let's say a 4l80 out of a 2007 Chevy express Duramax. Now I would like to put it in a 71 Monte Carlo behind a lbz Duramax. I'm trying to get an idea if the stock trans would take will say 400 horse and 800 torque? Or will the trans need a full upgrade unless I detune the motor as if it was a van?

I've got a 4l85E sitting around collecting dust out of a 6.6 van I'd let go cheap if your in the market for one. I'm Also in N.Y fyi...

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Be more specific about the 4L80. Used? What year? How much power in the engine? If it's going behind a Duramax, It will need more clutches, pressure and heat treated gear train.
What year is the best to run Mike? From what I under stand, the main different is the early one have a bigger bearing and the later ones have a better fluid channels. I am trying to remember my research on them, since it has been awhile, so I am not sure I have the exalt difference correct.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

The express 4L85E is the best one to use since it has heat treated gear train. I would install Transgo reprogramming kit and a good converter and you should be fine.

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
The express 4L85E is the best one to use since it has heat treated gear train. I would install Transgo reprogramming kit and a good converter and you should be fine.

Mike,
Do you rebuild 4L85's?
I have a van and down the road I would like it rebuilt.
Thanks!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Isn't that mostly what you did for the DURAMAX GRAND NATIONAL build?

When I built the Duramax Grand National; i purchased a brand new trans from the dealer because it was cheaper than buying a core and installing heat treated parts. I installed a full set of Alto clutches and a Transgo reprogramming kit and made a few more mods. I had a custom Duramax converter built by PI to make sure the fit was correct and had my .100 gap between the converter and flex plate ( converter unbolted and shoved back ).
It worked out pretty good.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
When I built the Duramax Grand National; i purchased a brand new trans from the dealer because it was cheaper than buying a core and installing heat treated parts. I installed a full set of Alto clutches and a Transgo reprogramming kit and made a few more mods. I had a custom Duramax converter built by PI to make sure the fit was correct and had my .100 gap between the converter and flex plate ( converter unbolted and shoved back ).
It worked out pretty good.
Didn't realize you had done so much, his posts on it made it out like it wasn't that much done to it.