Built Motor TurnAround Time?

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
Question for you guys whose paid for a shop to build your motor or if you own a shop and do this. Whats your expected or considered acceptable time frame for a shop to have your truck for?

Nothing crazy either just a 800hp motor build on a single turbo for example.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
If it's nothing crazy why not buy one already done? There are vendors on here that have short and long blocks assembled ready to go.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Question for you guys whose paid for a shop to build your motor or if you own a shop and do this. Whats your expected or considered acceptable time frame for a shop to have your truck for?

Nothing crazy either just a 800hp motor build on a single turbo for example.

this depends. is the shop doing the R&R of the engine from the truck? will the shop be tuning it? does the shop do in house machine work? did you ask said shop for an expected turn around time?

ctodd36

Nov 4, 2016
Otego, NY
Between making the decision on what heads to put on my motor I think it was just over
A month from start to finish. Not something I would rush your builder with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
“Just an 800 Horsepower motor”...... lol.

Month is a good time frame. Could easily be more. Lots of very time consuming steps when building an engine correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
A lot of it depends on the machine shop they use. Some are faster than others, but I wouldn't rush quality. When you're spending the money it takes to get a built Duramax, there's no sense in cutting corners to save a few weeks time of the truck being down.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
What josh said, machine shop is what takes the longest part depending on who you use. I’ve had a machine shop take 6 months before getting the block back.

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
Building a motor is a process, you can’t rush quality. But with that being said you as a customer need to be in the loop of what’s going on when things are going good and not just when a problem comes up. Also another big factor is the current state of the engine being built or if you have a spare block they will be using.

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
The shop thats had my truck and deposit since march of 2017 told me in august 2017 my motor was at the machine shop. Two weeks before christmas it was still at the machine shop. I was told 5 months for a motor to be machined wasn't abnormal.:confused:

Im being told I'm being difficult to work with at the moment. I supplied all the spare motor/ spare heads/ engine build parts/ turbo/ fuel system. etc... But after what everyone has said I'm definitely getting f*cked.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The shop thats had my truck and deposit since march of 2017 told me in august 2017 my motor was at the machine shop. Two weeks before christmas it was still at the machine shop. I was told 5 months for a motor to be machined wasn't abnormal.:confused:

Im being told I'm being difficult to work with at the moment. I supplied all the spare motor/ spare heads/ engine build parts/ turbo/ fuel system. etc... But after what everyone has said I'm definitely getting f*cked.

very much so.

Last edited:

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.

It doesn’t take that long to do, a week to two weeks is what I was told actually hours where, the lengthy part is how behind the machine shop is.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Machine work? Actual machine work.. less than 5 days well for FPE and Freedom Racing Engines

Lead times.. completely different story, 95% is FCFS order.

Seams one thing that drags builds out is lack of funds on hand and constantly changing build goals, during said build

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
Machine work? Actual machine work.. less than 5 days well for FPE and Freedom Racing Engines

Lead times.. completely different story, 95% is FCFS order.

Seams one thing that drags builds out is lack of funds on hand and constantly changing build goals, during said build

He asked for a deposit and I gave him 6k before I left for vacation. Didn't see any progress when I returned and asked if he wanted more when I got back and he said no. I bought every part so I knew what my plan/goals were.

Where's the OP from?
South Florida

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I would say 3 months if you're "somebody", 6 months to a year if you "aren't". ;) Thats just the way the world works. Those complete guesses are based on availability of parts, too.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I know a lot of machine shops hate to be asked "how long will this take?", but a good mechanic should have a good relationship with his machine shop, and they should've been able to predict a delay this long IMO.

And a $6k deposit sounds steep if you already bought all your parts.