Built Allison 1-2 shift flare when cold

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
I've got a built Allison in my LBZ that was built by Josh H. At top notch garage in February of 2019. Has 26k miles on it since rebuild. Truck makes about 530whp if I had to guess. Trans has been great but for the last 5 or so months when the trans is cold in the morning it will flare really bad from 1-2 shift and slightly from 2-3. Once it makes 3 or 4 up shifts it's fine. Holds power great. I have checked fluid level and it's perfect. I spoke with Josh about this a few months back before my warranty was out and he told me to bring it to him but I messed around and waited to long and now my warranty is up so that's on me. Was a bit difficult to find someone to follow me damn near 3 hours away to drop it off. Anyways anyone have any ideas?

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Josh is part of this forum, id honestly just reach out to him and explain your situation. It would be worth your time to bring the truck to him and have him professionally verify what is going on with the trans.

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
I plan to give him a call on Monday. I own a shop down here in Texas I just haven't spent a whole lot of time in side an Allison. I have helped build one before for an LML but with out any codes I'm not sure where to begin as far as diagnosis goes on a shift flare! Also just wanted to clarify this post was in no way to be degrading at all towards Josh H. He builds a great trans and was an absolute pleasure to do business with!

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
I have, the trans tune is only been adjusted for TCC slip inhibitor. But it does it with stock TCM tune as well. Also have tried 2 different sets of ECM tunes and no change.

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Will get some Allison branded filters ordered today and do that next week. That comment kinda scared me though lol. Surely I haven't toasted clutches in a trans rated for 750ish with a 530whp truck in 20k miles. But yah never know I guess. Thanks for the input. Open to any other suggestions as well!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
My opinion:
If you're messing with trans tuning and running different engine tunes all the time -- with no time allowed for the trans to learn them -- then yeah, you could've caused a problem. Could be a lot of things....

I would've also talked to Josh first before posting a public thread about the problem, too. Even if it wasnt meant to be a slight, it sure can be perceived as such. As a shop owner, would you want someone to do that to you?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
My opinion:
If you're messing with trans tuning and running different engine tunes all the time -- with no time allowed for the trans to learn them -- then yeah, you could've caused a problem. Could be a lot of things....

I would've also talked to Josh first before posting a public thread about the problem, too. Even if it wasnt meant to be a slight, it sure can be perceived as such. As a shop owner, would you want someone to do that to you?
^^^^^^^

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
110% agree with Bac and Mike. Drop the pan and see whats going on... talk to Josh, he has helped me go through these things over and over again to the point were I am finally comfortable building my own.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
My opinion:

110% agree with James and Mike. Drop the pan and see whats going on... talk to Josh, he has helped me go through these things over and over again to the point were I am finally comfortable building my own.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

What these gentlemen said. Give Josh a call first, I doubt he will tell you to kick rocks.

And to Tom's point, I agree, swapping trans/ecm tunes constantly isn't doing anything any favors. The trans needs to relearn in order to get shift timing correct. I'm not saying that is the problem but its not the greatest practice to constantly swap tunes for fun.

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
I'm aware of the trans needing to learn. Too be clear I don't swap tunes everyday. Every couple months I'll flash a different set just for the hell of it but that's it. I always give the trans time to relearn. Again this post was in no way meant to make Josh look bad. He was more then willing to take a look at it for me when I spoke to him a few months back. I didn't manage to get the truck to him before the warranty was up and that is 100% my fault. At this point im interested in learning these transmissions and figured I could get some insight on here and possibly fix it my self. If it were to need a full rebuild or a new set of clutches for some reason I'd probably tackle it my self due to the soul fact that that's the only way to learn it seems.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm aware of the trans needing to learn. Too be clear I don't swap tunes everyday. Every couple months I'll flash a different set just for the hell of it but that's it. I always give the trans time to relearn. Again this post was in no way meant to make Josh look bad. He was more then willing to take a look at it for me when I spoke to him a few months back. I didn't manage to get the truck to him before the warranty was up and that is 100% my fault. At this point im interested in learning these transmissions and figured I could get some insight on here and possibly fix it my self. If it were to need a full rebuild or a new set of clutches for some reason I'd probably tackle it my self due to the soul fact that that's the only way to learn it seems.

If you bring the truck to me, I would still be willing to take a look at it and see what’s going on.

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
If you bring the truck to me, I would still be willing to take a look at it and see what’s going on.

Thank you Josh, again didn't mean for this post to seem like I was taking any shots at you! Was just thinking it might be something simple I could take a look at and possibly repair my self. I'll give you a call on Monday!

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I'd be interested to know the outcome of this.... Mine is doing pretty much the exact same thing. I always assumed I hurt it when I was screwing around with a 6 speed VB and a butchered internal harness being run by a 5 speed tcm or something along those lines. Or maybe an apply piston leaking just enough to drain while sitting but be fine once 'charged'. Aside from the flairs on the first two or so 1-2 & 2-3 shifts, its been perfect with no issues, even pulling 10k+.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Unfortunately I have been slammed at the shop and haven't had a chance to call Josh. The truck gets driven maybe 5-8 miles a day so I've just been letting it sit and idle for a bit before I leave and being easy on it! Hoping things will slow down this next week and I can get it to Josh!

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm also having this issue come around sometimes. My trans is a complete stage V from PPE with 100,000 miles on it. It will flare sometimes on the 1-2 and the odd 2-3. Fluid looks great but Im thinking its possible the torque converter that came with it is whats contributing to the issue. It blows right through the converter on anything over my half throttle. Someone correct me if im wrong but the trans came with a white triple disk with i believe is a Precision Industries ML converter without a billet stator?

I have a Limitless 1078 coming and should be installed by friday next week so we'll see. Whats everyone else running for a converter that is having the issue?

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'm also having this issue come around sometimes. My trans is a complete stage V from PPE with 100,000 miles on it. It will flare sometimes on the 1-2 and the odd 2-3. Fluid looks great but Im thinking its possible the torque converter that came with it is whats contributing to the issue. It blows right through the converter on anything over my half throttle. Someone correct me if im wrong but the trans came with a white triple disk with i believe is a Precision Industries ML converter without a billet stator?

I have a Limitless 1078 coming and should be installed by friday next week so we'll see. Whats everyone else running for a converter that is having the issue?

Build the trans.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

Depending on when the kit was purchased PPE did start using Goerend converters.