Build costs

HogAssWild

Nov 12, 2009
Heres a better question...

How long will a stock dmax live at 600h.p

Who has lasted the longest at this power level stock motor?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

there is no answer to that. i didnt even make 600hp and bent a rod in two months where others have been doin 600+ for a few years

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
there is no answer to that. i didnt even make 600hp and bent a rod in two months where others have been doin 600+ for a few years

it seems like there would be a shit ton more stress on your motor with those giant tires and im willing to bet your truck weighs a whole lot. couldnt those two factors really lower the life of a high hp stock motor? compared to a truck with little 31'' tires that weighs 6500 pounds....

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV

You have to remember you are not making that much HP very much of the time. What hp you making cruising down the highway, 75-100? My old 07 CC classic that I sold has been running a 600 hp tune from Idaho Rob since 2008 with no issues. I bent the rods on my 02 LB7 running about that HP in less than a year. I was stacking tuners in those days and then running a custom TTS extreme when it went south. White Out makes about 600 on it's smallest tune, that's what I drive it on the street with and also the 11.90 index class of NHRDA on a close to sea level track. Obviously it is not a stock motor.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
You have to remember you are not making that much HP very much of the time. What hp you making cruising down the highway, 75-100? My old 07 CC classic that I sold has been running a 600 hp tune from Idaho Rob since 2008 with no issues. I bent the rods on my 02 LB7 running about that HP in less than a year. I was stacking tuners in those days and then running a custom TTS extreme when it went south. White Out makes about 600 on it's smallest tune, that's what I drive it on the street with and also the 11.90 index class of NHRDA on a close to sea level track. Obviously it is not a stock motor.

how much stronger are the rods of an lbz vs an lb7

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
it seems like there would be a shit ton more stress on your motor with those giant tires and im willing to bet your truck weighs a whole lot. couldnt those two factors really lower the life of a high hp stock motor? compared to a truck with little 31'' tires that weighs 6500 pounds....

Well the tires and wheels weight 115 lbs which is 5-10 lbs more than rockstar wheels and tires (what brian and steve run) and i weighed about 7500lbs tops. im closer to 7300-7400lbs. All my WOT runs were in 2600rpm and up with no lugging so i dont feel they should have bent because of weight, I feel some rods are just weaker than others. I might be in denile but ive seen a few that have bent rods at my hp level as well with less weight. You guys can judge how you feel, its jsut my opinion but ill give you all the facts i got from my bent rods.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Well the tires and wheels weight 115 lbs which is 5-10 lbs more than rockstar wheels and tires (what brian and steve run) and i weighed about 7500lbs tops. im closer to 7300-7400lbs. All my WOT runs were in 2600rpm and up with no lugging so i dont feel they should have bent because of weight, I feel some rods are just weaker than others. I might be in denile but ive seen a few that have bent rods at my hp level as well with less weight. You guys can judge how you feel, its jsut my opinion but ill give you all the facts i got from my bent rods.

i meant more from a rotational mass standpoint. seems like alot more stress is put on the rods when you punch it and try to get larger tires rolling. whereas if someone with smaller narrower tires punches it and all the stress and torque isnt being pushed directly into the rod by trying to get a larger heavier wheel spinning, it just blows the tires loose. i realize what im saying might not make any since at all but its hard to put into words what my wierd brain is thinking haha

wrcknkrw

Feb 21, 2008
roy ut
I changed from 37s to stock size and my motor gains rpms considerably faster. Overall it doesn't feel as labored as it used to.

camomax

pushing the limits
Nov 5, 2008
Florida
Im diggin up an old heated thread but Camomax, hows this rodded swapped motor doing out of curiosity?

Yes, when I pulled it in Feb to put in the DTS motor for the Bradenton race, each piston was eroding at the lip(spray pattern). I pulled the new motor in July(pushed cup) and the cut, cast pistons were spotless(35 passes, 20 with nitrous). I wish I knew for sure why these have done so well. Tuning was changed quite a bit (ATP)...or maybe something in the build..... I really don't know.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Nice job

Out of those 20 nitrous passes how many were in the 10's Matt? I seemed to remember that after the florida race(Gainesville) it has been having trouble getting down the track. Motor problems and going fast just seem to go hand and hand. There is no easy answer. Jeff

Last edited:

camomax

pushing the limits
Nov 5, 2008
Florida
Out of those 20 nitrous passes how many were in the 10's Matt? I seemed to remember that after the florida race(Gainesville) it has been having trouble getting down the track. Motor problems and going fast just seem to go hand and hand. There is no easy answer. Jeff

Actually Jeff, it was after the TS race, that I made changes, and had trouble since(not motor). Motor problems and slow trucks sometimes go hand and hand as well.:thumb:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Note about pushing the limit of stock rods. Seems once they start to bend, they bend quickly, and often all 8 bend at once. Not sure why that is, it's weird. You don't have a lot of time even at stock power once the bending starts.

I probably ran 50-100 passes at ~640rwhp before I dialed up to 750+. It only took a couple events at 750 to bend them. By the time I drove home, it was pretty bad.

The minute you see white smoke at idle after a pass, that's time to see if you bent rods. DO NOT do "one last pass". Putting a rod through the block is over twice as expensive as just rebuilding an engine with bent rods. It can destroy the crank, heads, pistons, etc, etc. You often have to find a complete engine and start again.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
so you made 100 pass' at 640hp and several more at 750 till they bent.....that makes me feel a little better about a stock motor 600hp DD

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
It was a long time ago, but we ran Casper at LACR many times, Famoso, and California Speedway, not sure about Las Vegas? Several dyno sessions as well. With 2 different HTT chargers, and a GT4088R was run as well. It is not unusual for us to put 20+ passes on a car/truck when we hit the track if the track isn't busy. When I stepped up to a GT4202R is when I hurt it. It spent all day at the dyno, a day or two at LACR, and couple of times at Cal Speedway? It got wounded at a Truckin for Kids charity event IIRC.