Brake upgrades

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Thought I'd make a thread about braking upgrades for 01-10 trucks and I have a few questions as well.

I have a 2008 2500. It has braided brake lines, LML hydroboost, napa rotors, and hawk super duty pads. The LML hydroboost made a huge difference with pedal feel and fit a 2004 LB7, a 2005 LLY, and both LMM's. Will a 2011 master cylinder bolt up and will there be an increase in braking performance?

I also got a huge reduction in pedal effort and stopping difference with this on my dads 2007.5. http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48714

I would love to buy the willwood 16" front and rear kit for my truck but my budget doesn't allow for that right now. I figured I would make a thread to increase pedal feel and shorten stopping distance on a budget. I won't get into proper maintenance for the brakes on these trucks, we should all know how to do that by now :D .

The biggest gain I noticed was with the Hawk super duty pads. Much better initial bite and I haven't gotten them to fade. My fluid failed before I could get them to fade(until I switched fluids).

Next would be brake fluid. Pretty much anything I could get local is trash. I run this in any and all vehicles I own. Much firmer pedal feel and heat doesn't bother it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...rake+fluid&dpPl=1&dpID=41Zc4iZB7pL&ref=plSrch

Next thing would be the 14.25 inch front rotors from SSBC. These are on my dads truck and the rotors have a few stress cracks but nothing to worry about. I know on my truck I could kill them if I tried. I'm looking into a better quality rotor. There isn't anything on the market that will hold up to my abuse(not sure about willwood yet).

The LML hydroboost works very well. Much better pedal feel and initial bite seems slightly improved. I haven't done any braking tests but I believe it'll only shorten stopping distance from the intial bite. http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65044

I'm going to update this thread and hopefully do more stopping tests.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
You have to run at least a 20 inch wheel, I'm running BMF novakanes and they are close. Did stainless lines and the system is very solid feeling at the pedal. I have pictures but the sight makes me crop them all close to be able to post them.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
20's is the smallest.

picture.php

GOGO

May 10, 2010
I like my wilwoods. Install was easy, but they sent the wrong break line adapters. I ended up finding the fittings to make them work at the local parts house. They don't offer all of the beaded lines. The one that goes from the frame to the rear end they don't offer. I ordered a braided line from Crown. That way all of the rubber lines would be replaced with braided lines. Yes 20"+ wheels, and you probably won't be able to use your factory spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOGO

May 10, 2010
Ya, I tried a line kit sent it back and had a local shop make all of them. Was cheap, coated and are DOT approved.

Yes. I don't see how Wilwood lines could even get close to DOT standards. I got one set that was braided line with no coating. That set got returned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I've done the lml booster swap, still have OEM rubber lines Napa premium fleet rotors, swapped PS fluid to synthetic ATF, dot 3 fluid.. I do a flush every 50k give or take...
I do have heat stress cracks in the rear...
Love to do 14" rotors but no one makes any for a dually.. and I'm not putting them only on the front..
Next step for me.. is by passing the ABS module/electronic prop valve and put mechanic valve in..

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I've got Danville's in house slotted factory rotors with Delco pads, all braided lines and am really happy with performance and pedal feel. No cracking rotors yet

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I forget the manufacturer for the slotted rotors on my little truck. Bought the kits from RockAuto.