Blown turbo seal

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Should all be around 350-390

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All have 350 on the spot aside #4 which has 210. These are all done with a cold compression test. There is no blow by out the oil fill tube though for me to consider a hole in a Piston. My guess is a washed cylinder or bent rod.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Washed cylinder most likely. Id start by removing that cylinders glowplug and start it with all the injectors plugged in

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Washed cylinder most likely. Id start by removing that cylinders glowplug and start it with all the injectors plugged in

One of the previous comments suggested I do the same except unplug the #4 injector as well. And I did that with no change to the smoke but the idle was much worse with #4 at 0 compression without the glow plug

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Hmm

I'm pretty stumped. Only thing left for me to assume is I just bought had Injectors and I'll know when I get my balance rates looked at. Otherwise I'd have to assume that smoke is antifreeze some how

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Is that the one where you tell your wife , the trucks not running good and might need some new parts ! Sorry couldnt help myself . Good luck with finding the problem !

I'm aware this reply is very long over due but i needed a vacation from the truck....and to let my bank account recoup.

Anyway i did a rag test with a fancy white towel (don't tell my wife) and nothing was put on it. Aside from my tears since the smoke was burning my eyes ungodly bad i couldn't kneel there too long. I ordered an Efi Auto cal to check my own balance rates to see if the new injectors are broken or something as i cannot see why i'm smoking so much and its running like a turd cold.Does anyone have a additional guesses on whats my issue before i tear it down to the block and just build it back up new? my wallet will thank you if we can figure this out instead. (a new LBZ file will be loaded to the truck with my auto cal when it comes).

Story;

As it sits now 12/10/2017

Its been 0-20 degrees (F*) out. the truck no longer starts well. cranks for ages before firing.

When its started it idles like extreme dog poo. Lopey, low, choppy. Cylinders cutting in and out. Some times too many cut out and it stalls.

Once running,

10min mark no cylinders cut out. NO THROTTLE RESPONSE. absolute 0% throttle response when pedal pressed fully.

20min mark the truck sounds like your normal duramax overall and throttle response works until about 1,100 rpm.

30min mark trucks warmed up, smoke clears up a bit to the point you only think i;m burning down HALF my property. (about 40% less smoke then when first running). but if pedal is pressed it comes back 300%.

30min+ Throttle works 100% now. Although blows the Boost boots off if rev'd more than 40%.

Check engine codes through this process are EGR delete related and very random misc. codes that never repeat themselfs. (from ECM/TCM cannot be talked with to Turbo related codes. and more recently P0606)

StephenZ

Dec 11, 2022
I'm aware this reply is very long over due but i needed a vacation from the truck....and to let my bank account recoup.

Anyway i did a rag test with a fancy white towel (don't tell my wife) and nothing was put on it. Aside from my tears since the smoke was burning my eyes ungodly bad i couldn't kneel there too long. I ordered an Efi Auto cal to check my own balance rates to see if the new injectors are broken or something as i cannot see why i'm smoking so much and its running like a turd cold.Does anyone have a additional guesses on whats my issue before i tear it down to the block and just build it back up new? my wallet will thank you if we can figure this out instead. (a new LBZ file will be loaded to the truck with my auto cal when it comes).

Story;

As it sits now 12/10/2017

Its been 0-20 degrees (F*) out. the truck no longer starts well. cranks for ages before firing.

When its started it idles like extreme dog poo. Lopey, low, choppy. Cylinders cutting in and out. Some times too many cut out and it stalls.

Once running,

10min mark no cylinders cut out. NO THROTTLE RESPONSE. absolute 0% throttle response when pedal pressed fully.

20min mark the truck sounds like your normal duramax overall and throttle response works until about 1,100 rpm.

30min mark trucks warmed up, smoke clears up a bit to the point you only think i;m burning down HALF my property. (about 40% less smoke then when first running). but if pedal is pressed it comes back 300%.

30min+ Throttle works 100% now. Although blows the Boost boots off if rev'd more than 40%.

Check engine codes through this process are EGR delete related and very random misc. codes that never repeat themselfs. (from ECM/TCM cannot be talked with to Turbo related codes. and more recently P0606)
I know this is an old post, but did you ever get this figured out?

BIOTEC

Feb 8, 2010
Clearwater,Fl
What made me say Injectors was I had my heads checked and don't have head gasket issues. So I replaced all 8 injectors this weekend and it still smokes. And the only thing left is the oil in the turbo that I could think of

Where did you purchase the injectors ?