Blown turbo seal

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Have you run a compression test? The sound of your exhaust note is not good at all. It sounds like you have at least one dead cylinder.

You could also try disabling one injector at a time and see if the smoke lessens or goes away.

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Have you run a compression test? The sound of your exhaust note is not good at all. It sounds like you have at least one dead cylinder.

You could also try disabling one injector at a time and see if the smoke lessens or goes away.
One cylinder is dead. #4 is running 210psi at a cold compression test while the other 7 are running 350.

Not sure if it was just a washed cylinder from the old injectors or not.

And I still have to unplug more Injectors when I get home. So far I unhooked 3 and nothing seemed to clear up and unhooking #4 doesn't change the smoke as well.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
One cylinder is dead. #4 is running 210psi at a cold compression test while the other 7 are running 350.

Not sure if it was just a washed cylinder from the old injectors or not.

And I still have to unplug more Injectors when I get home. So far I unhooked 3 and nothing seemed to clear up and unhooking #4 doesn't change the smoke as well.

350 PSI is a bit low for a stock motor with stock cam & pistons, but gauges vary, so the important thing is consistency. For sure the one cylinder has problems.

If you use a scan tool (like the GM Tech2 or EFILive V2) you can just tell the ECU to turn off individual injectors without having to unplug anything.

Generally when injectors fail, it doesn't do anything that hurts compression, unless it sticks on and torches a hole in the piston or valve seat. No matter what, the compression isn't going to get better without finding what is physically wrong and fixing it.

Have you tried disabling the injector on the cylinder with low compression? I would not be surprised if most of the smoke is from the dead cylinder. Though either way, you do need to address the low compression.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV

That was my thinking, some people around here like to blast through puddles after the big storms with aftermarket air filter boxes, they start replacing injectors ect with no luck when it ended up being shortened rods.
Worst case scenario :D

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
If you use a scan tool (like the GM Tech2 or EFILive V2) you can just tell the ECU to turn off individual injectors without having to unplug anything.

Generally when injectors fail, it doesn't do anything that hurts compression, unless it sticks on and torches a hole in the piston or valve seat. No matter what, the compression isn't going to get better without finding what is physically wrong and fixing it.

Have you tried disabling the injector on the cylinder with low compression? I would not be surprised if most of the smoke is from the dead cylinder. Though either way, you do need to address the low compression.
I agree with you completely. And I do not possess a scan tool of any form so I just unplug the connection to each Injector to disable them one at a time and #4 being unplugged does not make any changes in idle condition or smoke amount.

Correct my logic if I'm wrong (normally am) but what my goal was to correct the cloud machine my truck has become and then address the dead cylinder as I cannot seem to blame it for the smoke at this time.

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
That was my thinking, some people around here like to blast through puddles after the big storms with aftermarket air filter boxes, they start replacing injectors ect with no luck when it ended up being shortened rods.
Worst case scenario :D
Bone stock truck here. Muffler as well. No puddles where hit this time but I do agree with the idea of a shortend rod since I don't have blow by so I can't picture a cracked Piston causing the low compression. Just my naive 2cents though.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I agree with you completely. And I do not possess a scan tool of any form so I just unplug the connection to each Injector to disable them one at a time and #4 being unplugged does not make any changes in idle condition or smoke amount.

Correct my logic if I'm wrong (normally am) but what my goal was to correct the cloud machine my truck has become and then address the dead cylinder as I cannot seem to blame it for the smoke at this time.

Interesting that the smoke isn't coming from the dead cylinder.

Personally, I wouldn't be spending tons of money/effort trying to fix the smoke with a dead cylinder, because fixing the dead cylinder will probably require pulling the motor (unless it is just a mis-adjusted valve hanging open). However, it is possible to run around on 7.5 cylinders (I did for almost 10,000 miles after a glowplug went through my #1 cylinder and nuked the exhaust valve seats). If you are going to run it that way until you save up for new hard parts, then yeah, we can address the smoke first.

Have you taken a clean rag and held it over the exhaust for a while? It will absorb some of whatever the smoke is (especially as thick as your smoke is). Once it has absorbed the stuff, you can take your time to smell it and feel it. Hopefully that will point you in the right direction (coolant vs. diesel vs. oil).

There is always the possibility that you had a bad injector, then your new injectors had one or more bad as well. I am not familiar with Injectors Direct, but it looks like they sell refurbished or remanufactured injectors. I am not sure if their remanufactured injectors are any good, but it isn't possible for anyone to successfully refurbish an LB7 injector. If you got those, that is probably your problem. Specifically, you just bought someone else's problem. Why would anyone remove a working injector? Think about where they get their cores... from customers with problems already.

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Interesting that the smoke isn't coming from the dead cylinder.

Personally, I wouldn't be spending tons of money/effort trying to fix the smoke with a dead cylinder, because fixing the dead cylinder will probably require pulling the motor (unless it is just a mis-adjusted valve hanging open). However, it is possible to run around on 7.5 cylinders (I did for almost 10,000 miles after a glowplug went through my #1 cylinder and nuked the exhaust valve seats). If you are going to run it that way until you save up for new hard parts, then yeah, we can address the smoke first.

Have you taken a clean rag and held it over the exhaust for a while? It will absorb some of whatever the smoke is (especially as thick as your smoke is). Once it has absorbed the stuff, you can take your time to smell it and feel it. Hopefully that will point you in the right direction (coolant vs. diesel vs. oil).

There is always the possibility that you had a bad injector, then your new injectors had one or more bad as well. I am not familiar with Injectors Direct, but it looks like they sell refurbished or remanufactured injectors. I am not sure if their remanufactured injectors are any good, but it isn't possible for anyone to successfully refurbish an LB7 injector. If you got those, that is probably your problem. Specifically, you just bought someone else's problem. Why would anyone remove a working injector? Think about where they get their cores... from customers with problems already.
It shocks me too that disabling #4 didn't clear it up either. I can make another video demonstrating the effects of me unplugging each Injector one by one.

No I haven't held a rag by exhaust yet..BUT I did have the truck next to the house when I started it once and after 10 or so mins of running I turned it off and noticed it turned the siding to my house blackish and the lawn was covered in like black liquid between the house and the exhaust. But I did not think to smell nor touch it. But tonight I shall use my finest white rag to put over the exhuast to get a good sample.

Also did you mean to write LBZ? But injector direct I didn't know if before recently either but i will say they are the cheapest place I could find so the saying "you get what you pay for" can be very true with this situation.

And I really don't have big goals for the truck. Honestly. I wouldn't mind driving on 7.5 cylinders for awhile until I can afford the hard parts if it wasn't a cloud machine.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
For some reason I thought you had a LB7. The diagnostics for this are the same, though. It is just much easier to unplug injectors one by one on a LBZ, was wondering how you were doing it so quickly lol

If it left a black liquid on the lawn, it might be oil. Could be bad valve seals, and if it is oil, I would pop the valve cover on the driver side to look at the valves on #4. If something smacked the valve it could have bent the stem, which would cause the low compression and hurt the seals, leading to smoke.

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
I suggest pulling glowplugs 1 at a time and starting it. You pull the right one the smoke will stop. Cheap effective and it will find your problem cylinder quick. Id start with 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
I suggest pulling glowplugs 1 at a time and starting it. You pull the right one the smoke will stop. Cheap effective and it will find your problem cylinder quick. Id start with 4

Shall I also unplug the corresponding injectors as well before running it?

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
So I didn't get much done last night due to circumstances but I did remove #4 glow plug and unplugged the Injector and the smoke didn't change, but my my idle got rougher. I didn't get a chance to put a white rag over the exhuast to catch anything coming out and I didn't unplug all the Injectors one by one but I'll do all that tonight after work.

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
So. End of the weekend. Did all my tests and nothing worth mentioning. I did though have a guy with a scan tool come out and check over the truck and he began his tests and instantly pointed out my code P0118 and stated the smoke can be due to the coolant temperature reading -40degrees all the time and the truck is dumping alot of fuel into the motor cause it thinks it's so cold. So he told me to start fixing my wiring issue with my coolant sensor as I've already placed a new sensor in it to try and fix that code.

Any opinions on that idea? It makes sense to me but I've never heard of that issue before or seen it written here. I've searched Google for P0118 and smoke but every topic just talks about fixing the code and not about smoke or anything.

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
So. End of the weekend. Did all my tests and nothing worth mentioning. I did though have a guy with a scan tool come out and check over the truck and he began his tests and instantly pointed out my code P0118 and stated the smoke can be due to the coolant temperature reading -40degrees all the time and the truck is dumping alot of fuel into the motor cause it thinks it's so cold. So he told me to start fixing my wiring issue with my coolant sensor as I've already placed a new sensor in it to try and fix that code.

Any opinions on that idea? It makes sense to me but I've never heard of that issue before or seen it written here. I've searched Google for P0118 and smoke but every topic just talks about fixing the code and not about smoke or anything.

Look into worn spots in the harness anywheres it might rub or melt.

Also check resistance in that circuit at the connector, Will make it easier to find.

Lastly. If the injectors were all doing it enough to smoke and miss it would cause it to overfill your crankcase

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Look into worn spots in the harness anywheres it might rub or melt.

Also check resistance in that circuit at the connector, Will make it easier to find.

Lastly. If the injectors were all doing it enough to smoke and miss it would cause it to overfill your crankcase

Okay. So I fixed the coolant temp sensor. The pigtail was dust basically and it's reading good now but it didn't alter my problem in any direction. But I changed my oil cause the Injectors where filling my crankcase and my oil level was oddly rising. So next week I'll have the guy come back and check balance rates and put a new LBZ file on the truck just for extra measure.