Blown turbo seal

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Holy cow! I just replaced injectors cause I didn't know a blown turbo could do that much smoke!

I feel pretty dumb now.

The following photos are my truck and what made me now think my turbo is blown.

7bd2f016227aceabcea50c157d69ac14.jpg
124dce0f80e213168a90a24cdc356948.jpg
6c101b8dca684313cd2a5f3fec0c03b1.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
The oil in the piping is normal because of the PCV. The smoke doesn’t look good though. What made you think you needed injectors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
The oil in the piping is normal because of the PCV. The smoke doesn’t look good though. What made you think you needed injectors?

X2
I've drained about 6oz of oil from the intercooler or roughly half a water bottle :(
There's a write up over on DF about it but the pics no longer work...stupid photobucket lol here's a decent YouTube video for the walk through on a pcv reroute job that eliminates oil in places it shouldn't be https://youtu.be/6NMB9FXLKFQ
Have you checked the balence rates?

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
What made me say Injectors was I had my heads checked and don't have head gasket issues. So I replaced all 8 injectors this weekend and it still smokes. And the only thing left is the oil in the turbo that I could think of

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
What made me say Injectors was I had my heads checked and don't have head gasket issues. So I replaced all 8 injectors this weekend and it still smokes. And the only thing left is the oil in the turbo that I could think of

Where did you get the injectors? I advise more troubleshooting before you just start throwing part at a vehicle.

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Well the new turbo doesn't cost me anything. It would be a free fix as I have another turbo. But I got the Injectors from injector direct.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
pull the down pipe off. if its coated with oil, its for sure a turbo. if its not, pull the intercooler cold pipe (one that goes into the y-bridge), start the truck and let it idle for some time. see if the smoke goes away, if it does, its cause its pulling oil from the intercooler that is most likely full of oil. i would also take a pic of the intake where the PCV enters and let us see how much oil is in there. if there aint much, the turbo is leaking into the compressor side. if there is a bunch, you have a blow by issue.

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
pull the down pipe off. if its coated with oil, its for sure a turbo. if its not, pull the intercooler cold pipe (one that goes into the y-bridge), start the truck and let it idle for some time. see if the smoke goes away, if it does, its cause its pulling oil from the intercooler that is most likely full of oil. i would also take a pic of the intake where the PCV enters and let us see how much oil is in there. if there aint much, the turbo is leaking into the compressor side. if there is a bunch, you have a blow by issue.
Only got to taking the photos for you and pulling the. Pipe to the intake and it smokes same amount even after 15mins of idling. Attached are the photos.
f0f8e61a1a1bba214a0ce43f2a81061e.jpg
d3a86bd4c40b156dae6fb44bfa7fe7a9.jpg
5b131c080a3ded1011c1cdb5bcabd08d.jpg

1c5eff4ff23b6847bf145c9a6bedb372.jpg

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Does that smoke smell sweet? It doesn’t look like burning oil
This will sound weird but you ever own one of those lyonal train sets as a kid that put out fake smoke? Exactly like that. But more simply put it smells like eye burning diesel.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Looks like oil to me , if it was coolant it would be white and dense and would fall to the ground as soon as it came out

Black obviously unburned fuel

Bluish burnt oil

To verify it's not a stuck open injector try to disable one at a time and see if it goes away

Also get a temperature gun and laser each cylinder at the manifold and see if the temperatures are with in range

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Looks like oil to me , if it was coolant it would be white and dense and would fall to the ground as soon as it came out

Black obviously unburned fuel

Bluish burnt oil

To verify it's not a stuck open injector try to disable one at a time and see if it goes away

Also get a temperature gun and laser each cylinder at the manifold and see if the temperatures are with in range

I shall do that and write back. Although If it's oil getting into the fuel and if it isn't compression or turbo. Could that be a bad valve seal?

Also here are the videos of my truck,

This one is last night when I took the pipe off the Y bridge like recommended

https://youtu.be/O3CE9MRL8bk

And this is when I first thought I needed injectors and hadn't changed them yet.

https://youtu.be/-JwYlRdnW_Q

Last edited:

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Are you building pressure in your radiator? What does it do while running with the r. cap off , in the video it looks a lot whiter

But it would be distinctive it would smell sweet if it was coolant you said it's burning your eyes like fuel?

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Are you building pressure in your radiator? What does it do while running with the r. cap off , in the video it looks a lot whiter

But it would be distinctive it would smell sweet if it was coolant you said it's burning your eyes like fuel?

The coolant just kinda sits there. With the cap off or on. No bubbles and doesn't fluxuate. The radiator. Hoses dont get solid or sucked in. Nothing odd really. And the smoke looks whiteish to me as well. But it turns brownish and grey/blue the more I give it throttle but the overall color is white to me.