Banks vs BD intercooler

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Any luck with the Banks intercooler?

As an aside - does anyone know if you can buy the LLY banks intercooler without all of the piping?

Yes they will sell it without the the piping. But the passenger side cold pipe will need to be remade or you will need a longer boot. The outlet on the banks doesn’t extend as far as the factory intercooler.

Edit: it also didn’t come with hardware and they use standard threads instead of metric.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
My Banks intercooler has proven to me that the "buy once cry once" mentality is what I need to do. The improvement in cooling performance and improvement in restriction (less pressure drop) as compared to my Mishimoto is quite staggering. While the Banks is expensive, it is worth the investment in my opinion.

I do believe that PN 29576-1 is what I purchased without the piping/boots/hardware. As was also said above, Banks uses standard thread as opposed to the metric the factory CAC uses as well as you will need a longer boot at a 45deg angle. I've got a Vibrant 4 ply that is holding up well but my truck only makes ~60-70psi total boost so results may vary above that.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Truck is back together and making a lot more boost on the low tunes than it ever did on the hot tunes. I must have had a massive leak.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Truck is back together and making a lot more boost on the low tunes than it ever did on the hot tunes. I must have had a massive leak.

It's possible. Depending what you had it could also just be that the Banks is that much more efficient of a core. Like I said previously, I noticed a 5.5-6psi drop across the intercooler with my Mishimoto and a 2-3psi drop with the Banks at the same (within 5-10f) temp reduction across the intercooler meaning that the banks did the same job of thermal efficiency but had a much more efficient core at that airflow. Keep in mind, this was at 55-60psi of boost out of my S480.

Bronson1396

Aug 28, 2023
United States
I am looking at getting this intercooler for my lly duramax, but have a y bridge that goes over the alternator and straight down to the intercooler. Will this work if I just get a longer 90 degree boot? Or is the location of the outlet on the passenger in a different location than factory? Thanks for the help

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I am looking at getting this intercooler for my lly duramax, but have a y bridge that goes over the alternator and straight down to the intercooler. Will this work if I just get a longer 90 degree boot? Or is the location of the outlet on the passenger in a different location than factory? Thanks for the help
It should, keep in mind tho that you might not be able to buy the intercooler separately.

Personally, after having used both, I would rather buy a Northern Radiator as their connections fit existing piping without any special or different boots and the core seems to be just as efficient in my testing. The Banks intercooler is a nice piece no doubt but they definitely didn't do the industry any favors with their outlet location.

Reactions: Bronson1396

Bronson1396

Aug 28, 2023
United States
It should, keep in mind tho that you might not be able to buy the intercooler separately.

Personally, after having used both, I would rather buy a Northern Radiator as their connections fit existing piping without any special or different boots and the core seems to be just as efficient in my testing. The Banks intercooler is a nice piece no doubt but they definitely didn't do the industry any favors with their outlet
So is the one you tested the high performance version 222328? Do you know the best place to source one would be? Thanks

Bronson1396

Aug 28, 2023
United States
Yes, that's the version I have used. I used to buy them from one of my WDs but it looks like they don't carry them
Ok it says it moves the radiator shroud out. Do you know what for? Does it move the radiator closer to the engine? My pipe sits really close to my transmission cooler lines as it is and I don’t think it will allow my radiator to sit closer towards the engine.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Ok it says it moves the radiator shroud out. Do you know what for? Does it move the radiator closer to the engine? My pipe sits really close to my transmission cooler lines as it is and I don’t think it will allow my radiator to sit closer towards the engine.
Banks does as well, It shifts the rad back a touch it seems. On my personal truck I didn't use the spacer included and it seems to be fine.

Bronson1396

Aug 28, 2023
United States
Banks does as well, It shifts the rad back a touch it seems. On my personal truck I didn't use the spacer included and it seems to be fine.
Thanks for the help, talked to northern and they no longer make the performance intercooler. I found one on eBay for 979 so I ordered it since that’s the last one I could find anywhere. Hope it works good.

Bronson1396

Aug 28, 2023
United States
Banks does as well, It shifts the rad back a touch it seems. On my personal truck I didn't use the spacer included and it seems to be
Likely due to requiring an EO number in certain places
Yea makes sense.
Which is sad. It's an intercooler, not a tuner/exhaust etc. If anything it improves efficency...........
Exactly. Does the northern have a bar plate design like the banks does? There really isn’t much info on it anywhere.

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yea makes sense.

Exactly. Does the northern have a bar plate design like the banks does? There really isn’t much info on it anywhere.
Banks doesn't use bar-and-plate, they use extruded microfin which is more efficient. Banks and Northern Radiator/BD were the only companies using that design to my knowledge.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Banks doesn't use bar-and-plate, they use extruded microfin which is more efficient. Banks and Northern Radiator/BD were the only companies using that design to my knowledge.
CG&J offered one as well, but I'm not sure if they still do.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bronson1396

Aug 28, 2023
United States
Ok so basically the bd intercooler and the northern radiator are the same part with different brand name?