Banks vs BD intercooler

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Long story short, my truck is apart and the PPE intercooler has a big hole blown in it. I guess the fabricated end tanks didn’t enjoy 80+ psi. Any first hand experience with Banks bs BD would be appreciated.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I have a Banks in my truck. I am very happy with the pressure delta (low drop) with good temperature reduction. I am monitoring inlet/outlet pressure and temperature to evaluate the intercooler's performance.

I had a Mishimoto that I replaced because of restriction (5-6psi restriction at 60psi of boost from my 480 single).

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I have had a BD in Black Max for years, but if I had it to do over, I would buy the Banks. At the time I was trying to save a couple hundred bucks, that I realize now was not worth the effort.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I don’t think you can go wrong with either one... I have the BD in my 05’ it hasn’t given me any issues. Both are well built with cast end tanks. My buddy has a bd in his Cummins pull truck, 100+ psi of boost from that truck.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I have a Banks in my truck. I am very happy with the pressure delta (low drop) with good temperature reduction. I am monitoring inlet/outlet pressure and temperature to evaluate the intercooler's performance.

I had a Mishimoto that I replaced because of restriction (5-6psi restriction at 60psi of boost from my 480 single).

Did you happen to test the stock intercooler? Curious if it’s a worth while upgrade.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Did you happen to test the stock intercooler? Curious if it’s a worth while upgrade.

I did not. I put a mishimoto in last spring when the built engine went in since I didn't want the stocker to fail. It would be an interesting test thats for sure. It is something I could do to evaluate the effectiveness but I don't honestly want to take it apart again lol.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I did not. I put a mishimoto in last spring when the built engine went in since I didn't want the stocker to fail. It would be an interesting test thats for sure. It is something I could do to evaluate the effectiveness but I don't honestly want to take it apart again lol.

I’ll just stop being cheap and get a banks intercooler :rofl:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I have had great luck with mishimoto. Not a fan of the banks cause the lip on the inlet/outlet isnt big enough in my opinion.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I have had great luck with mishimoto. Not a fan of the banks cause the lip on the inlet/outlet isnt big enough in my opinion.

I defintely agree on the lips being small. That said mine hasn't had any issues yet but there isn't much run time on it. I'll be going to complete v-band/Vanjen shortly.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

You have one of the few that hasn't failed yet, mishimoto has been known to have thousands of failures and are made in China.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You have one of the few that hasn't failed yet, mishimoto has been known to have thousands of failures and are made in China.

fairly certain Luke got his around the time i got mine which was when they were Japan made. Or maybe they fixed their shit. dont really know at this point as i stay away from them.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
fairly certain Luke got his around the time i got mine which was when they were Japan made. Or maybe they fixed their shit. dont really know at this point as i stay away from them.

Exactly. So much knock off junk now days. Never know what you're getting. Buy the 100 dollar part on ebay or the 400 dollar ppe.... is it the same? ;)

My orginal lbz one was bought 5 years ago. I switched to the lb7 style last winter. Both have seen over 100 psi a lot. Never a issue. I have never heard a bad thing about them. Now the radiators..... Went through 2 in one season. I think any aftermarket one will be fine.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
I like my Banks IC but no idea about effectiveness vs stock just that it hasn’t had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
What about the spearco intercooler?

While they are good, cast tanks (IMO) will always out flow fabricated tanks. You're able to get much better interior geometry with a casting vs a fabricated part. Cast tanks also do not have any weld joints to cause failure points (other than where they are welded to the core) making them more reliable.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
Any luck with the Banks intercooler?

As an aside - does anyone know if you can buy the LLY banks intercooler without all of the piping?