Question: AVNT4094/vs cheetah ?

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
The GT4094R isn't great either it ran higher egt's on my truck than the stock turbo and from what I have heard Drive pressure's are off the charts I blew a heagasket at only 40 psi of boost.

I am kicking around my next turbo set up it will either be the HTT, S400 using a wastegate with the turbonetics pedestal or a big VNT

I really want a big twin setup like trent has but I don't have the money

The 40-94r ran verry good on my truck and ran the same egts as my stock turbo but with a tune with more fuell and more power. Tuneing def has alot to do with egts and other things as i have found out.
the cheetha had the highest egts out of all three turbos but still ran verry strong. and was close with the 40-94. the 40-94 just seemed to have a little something more to it.

If this new avnt works like the 40-94r does then i think it would be a really great option. only time will tell thoe. A gt 42 avnt would be awesome if the could manage the DP and egts

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The 40-94r ran verry good on my truck and ran the same egts as my stock turbo but with a tune with more fuell and more power. Tuneing def has alot to do with egts and other things as i have found out.
the cheetha had the highest egts out of all three turbos but still ran verry strong. and was close with the 40-94. the 40-94 just seemed to have a little something more to it.

If this new avnt works like the 40-94r does then i think it would be a really great option. only time will tell thoe. A gt 42 avnt would be awesome if the could manage the DP and egts

No, a 102 compressor wheel is not going to be suitable for many trucks for towing. It can be done, but mountains are a PITA.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
No, a 102 compressor wheel is not going to be suitable for many trucks for towing. It can be done, but mountains are a PITA.

even in a avnt ? isint that one of the bennefits of haveing one? or it dosent matter once the turbo starts getting that big ?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I always thought the benefit of a VNT turbo was to help the turbo spool easier at lower RPM. As you say, the turbine is the drive motor. The vanes make the drive motor more responsive.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
The GT4094R isn't great either it ran higher egt's on my truck than the stock turbo and from what I have heard Drive pressure's are off the charts I blew a heagasket at only 40 psi of boost.

I am kicking around my next turbo set up it will either be the HTT, S400 using a wastegate with the turbonetics pedestal or a big VNT

I really want a big twin setup like trent has but I don't have the money

show me proof about the 4094 drive pressure theory...any turbo not properly tuned will high EGT's and high DP that is a fact... I have made 40 passes most in the 12.3's and lower... I will be adding larger up pipes then I will monitor drive pressures..

Tommy OT but I always wondered why with a 4094/Dual CP3's you could only best 109 mph? this is not a your tuner vs. my tuner negative question... just total curiosity

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
A compressor is a compressor. The turbine is simply a drive motor for it.

and the vanes dow what again ? so that the turbine can do what ? Wasent that the whole point of the vvt in the firstplace a better responidng turbo that can flow more air? isin that the whole basis around the 40-94 avnt and the cheetha and danville turbos . bigger wheels more power still streetable ?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
and the vanes dow what again ? so that the turbine can do what ? Wasent that the whole point of the vvt in the firstplace a better responidng turbo that can flow more air? isin that the whole basis around the 40-94 avnt and the cheetha and danville turbos . bigger wheels more power still streetable ?

VVT' are mostly used by the industry to be able you have EGR without a vacume pump , look at every company ford, dodge, and chevy all introduced a VVT charger and EGR the same year . But yes there are some drivability advantages also

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
show me proof about the 4094 drive pressure theory...any turbo not properly tuned will high EGT's and high DP that is a fact... I have made 40 passes most in the 12.3's and lower... I will be adding larger up pipes then I will monitor drive pressures..

Tommy OT but I always wondered why with a 4094/Dual CP3's you could only best 109 mph? this is not a your tuner vs. my tuner negative question... just total curiosity

My only conclusion that i could come up with is the tracks i ran vs where you ran and others do. other then that i have no idea pats tune and nicks tune both ran within 1mph of each other. so mabey there was something else wrong or? have you gotten a chance to run at famoso yet ?

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
VVT' are mostly used by the industry to be able you have EGR without a vacume pump , look at every company ford, dodge, and chevy all introduced a VVT charger and EGR the same year . But yes there are some drivability advantages also

Interesting didint know that part . how does one allow that and not the other ?

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15106

This thread comes to mind 100 Psi of drive pressure with a GT42

You said your EGT's are 1800 with your 4094. My truck would hit 1700 with the 4094 with the stock turbo at the same pulse width my egt's are 1600 degrees with way less water meth being injected.

I absolutely believe there is a distinct advantage to having a wastegate after what I have been through. I think the 4094 is a great turbo but it needs a wastegate. Unless I get a VNT I will never have a non wastegated charger on my truck again.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Interesting didint know that part . how does one allow that and not the other ?

the VVT can close the vains and use drive pressure to open the EGR valve . instead of having to have a vacume pump to do the job , the cummins just got a vvt on the 6.7 and a EGR came with it , same as the lly,lbz,lmm , and the 6.0 powerstroke . some lb7's got the egr and they had vacume pumps but only the cali trucks .

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
My only conclusion that i could come up with is the tracks i ran vs where you ran and others do. other then that i have no idea pats tune and nicks tune both ran within 1mph of each other. so mabey there was something else wrong or? have you gotten a chance to run at famoso yet ?

I deliberately avoided this issue, but I guess you won't leave it alone.:(

You did not run my tuning that I am aware of. If you did, who did you get it from? Wasn't me. I build tunes individually for the truck and modifications.

Yes, I did help you at the track one day after you asked a few times. I refused at first, and only helped you after you promised to keep it private, and at the time, you told me it helped. You were having spoolup issues, so I altered your tune on your computer screen to assist spooling. But your problem was a boost leak, not tuning. And of course I helped you for free.

I helped you only after your word that it would be private. This is not a good thing to post, since it says that if one racer helps another racer at the track, it can be used against them on the internet.

I am not sure anyone who posts like that belongs on a racer board. Just my opinion. Helping others at the track is an important part of friendly racing, and I've helped many strangers at tracks for decades. I don't believe any betrayed me afterwards. It's pretty rare.

So I will continue to help strangers at the track, but dang. :(

Obviously your betrayal post has nothing to do with AVNT performance since your truck wasn't running correctly due to hard parts, not tuning, so I'm puzzled why you would post it other than to start a tuner war in a thread. Won't work, we won't permit it here.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona

incorrect trent.

GM in 04.5
ford in 03
dodge in 08.

Edit; Just saw your post earlier Trent, my bad.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15106

This thread comes to mind 100 Psi of drive pressure with a GT42

You said your EGT's are 1800 with your 4094. My truck would hit 1700 with the 4094 with the stock turbo at the same pulse width my egt's are 1600 degrees with way less water meth being injected.

I absolutely believe there is a distinct advantage to having a wastegate after what I have been through. I think the 4094 is a great turbo but it needs a wastegate. Unless I get a VNT I will never have a non wastegated charger on my truck again.

I have to agree, untill some one shows me different anyway. with a 68mm compressor lack of air cant be the cause for the high EGT's , so the only other thing besides lack of air to drive up EGT's is drive pressure . While i agree that more timming can maybe knock the heat down a bit , it is not the fix IMOP just a band aid . But i have never owned a 4094 or tested drive pressure with one , just have theroys in my head LOL

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I have a 102mm VNT from an EGR Detroit Diesel that someday I hope to play with. Big Dipper found it on Ebay and I bought it. But it's T6 and HUGE. 1.74 exh A/R.

Dual VVT Big Twins :drool:

are the vains air or oil controlled Pat ?

Last edited: