Question: AVNT4094/vs cheetah ?

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Come on Tommy your not a newby , you know how these things go , i can list 10 different chargers and find 5 that love them and 5 that hated them .

Well i guess here is some of the info i was lookiing for

PowerMax Stage 2 (773542-1)

Garrett® model GT4094VA turbocharger
Featuring the Garrett® patented Advanced Variable Nozzle Turbine (AVNTTM) design for increased compressor flow and turbine flow
Utilizes nine movable vanes which significantly increase turbine efficiency and improve engine performance from idle launch through peak torque
Patented integral electro-hydraulic actuation and proportional solenoid for infinitely variable control
Provides up to an estimated 575 hp with no sacrifice to drivability
Larger compressor trim (52), plus larger GT40 turbine wheel and vanes vs. Stage I
Outline interchangeable, for a perfect fit each and every time

any one of theese on there truck to know how loud it is ? the one thing i didint like after while was the whistle of the cheetha so im wondering if this is just as loud ?

trent i understand there will be diffrences in opnion on turbos Im just looking manily for the diffrences if any between the two

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

Featuring the Garrett® patented Advanced Variable Nozzle Turbine (AVNTTM) design for increased compressor flow and turbine flow
Utilizes nine movable vanes which significantly increase turbine efficiency and improve engine performance from idle launch through peak torque
Patented integral electro-hydraulic actuation and proportional solenoid for infinitely variable control
Larger compressor trim (52), plus larger GT40 turbine wheel and vanes vs. Stage I

any one of theese on there truck to know how loud it is ? the one thing i didint like after while was the whistle of the cheetha so im wondering if this is just as loud ?

trent i understand there will be diffrences in opnion on turbos Im just looking manily for the diffrences if any between the two

Post all your test data. "I didn't like the sound" isn't technical enough for most the readers on this site, nor the reason most of us run big chargers. If we wanted quiet trucks, we would have left them stock.

What is the max HP you generated with the Garrett 4094?

Post the dyno graph so we can see area under the curve.

Ditto for the Cheetah you ran.

Difference in ET's and MPH with same tuning?

Drive pressures, max boost, staging RPM, high altitude performance, towing tests, etc, would be handy as well.

Any other technical data would be a plus.

"I do not like" is OK for Dodge sites, but this isn't.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Post all your test data. "I didn't like the sound" isn't technical enough for most the readers on this site, nor the reason most of us run big chargers. If we wanted quiet trucks, we would have left them stock.

What is the max HP you generated with the Garrett 4094? dont know never dynoed it on a acurate dyno only on a crappy portable one that couldent load the truck it dynoed 585 irc
Post the dyno graph so we can see area under the curve. see above

Ditto for the Cheetah you ran. didint dyno it truck blew up Difference in ET's and MPH with same tuning? ummm well you cant have the same tuening one is a vnt one is not cant really compare tuening.

Drive pressures, dont know max boost,38 cheetha 42 40-94 staging RPM 2,200, high altitude performance, dont know towing tests, 40-94 had lower egts toing the same load. over the cheetha etc, would be handy as well.

Any other technical data would be a plus.

"I do not like" is OK for Dodge sites, but this isn't.

But again I dont see how the 40-94 is relavent to the avnt 94 ? and what you may think is not relavent like sound of a charger is to others ? like the sound becuase on a daily driver for me i did not like the cheetha whistle was to loud for me others do like it . for some one like you who has a dedictaed race truck it really dont matter but mine like many others get driven every day.

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo

You could of found that info from my thread and more if you searched lol
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15808

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
A GT4294 is 70.3mm.

Most Garrett charger are about 1mm bigger than "advertised". This is because Garrett measures them at the wheel, and others measure them at the inducer bore of the compressor hsg. I'd imagine a 71.5 is a GT4294 wheel if I had to guess. I never ran a 4294, so I didn't measure one.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
But again I dont see how the 40-94 is relavent to the avnt 94 ? and what you may think is not relavent like sound of a charger is to others ? like the sound becuase on a daily driver for me i did not like the cheetha whistle was to loud for me others do like it . for some one like you who has a dedictaed race truck it really dont matter but mine like many others get driven every day.

Because the AVNT 4094 has the same turbine and compressor.

"It's not too loud, you're too old" comes to mind when discussing race parts.

I know that a GT4088 can be tuned up to 670rwhp, no idea how high a 4094 can be tuned. I'm willing to bet I can hit 670+ on a ANVT4094.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Because the AVNT 4094 has the same turbine and compressor.

"It's not too loud, you're too old" comes to mind when discussing race parts.

I know that a GT4088 can be tuned up to 670rwhp, no idea how high a 4094 can be tuned. I'm willing to bet I can hit 670+ on a ANVT4094.

Is Wendy ready to get a new friend? :D

On a stroked CP3 I have ran 113.9 with lots of problems bad TC,bursting til the 1/8th, lack of airflow to the turbo... so I would assume that the AVNT/FG 4094 will have no problem's being put over the 700hp mark reliably. Apparantly the AVNT spools easier which is a huge plus in any turbo setup.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I watched a avnt4094 here in action a few months ago and was very impressed on how it worked. I know the pulling associations here are starting to not let the cheathas pull in the work stock class so I guess consider that if you want to pull in that class as this might start happening else where if it hasn't already.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
AFAIK the 71.5mm Cheetah is a BW K31 (A5K) wheel. Last I knew the 68 and 71.5mm cheetahs both use GT4088 turbine wheels in a stock LBZ housing with stock LBZ vanes. The 68mm uses a GT 4094 compressor in a machined stock compressor housing.

Might as well bring in the Danville 68mm stage 2 turbo as well. It is also a 4094 comp wheel in a machined stock housing. He uses the turbine from the AVNT 37 with custom vanes from fingers in an LLY turbine housing.

Lastly the AVNT 4094 uses a 4094 comp wheel in a housing that was made for it. I has a larger turbine than the AVNT 37, but one that was designed to be in an AVNT turbo. The compressor map is the same as the GT4094 but the exhaust side is more restrictive and therefore you won't get as much power out of it as you will a GT4094R.

They are all direct bolt on for LLY and newer trucks and now with the Fleece boost controller will also bolt onto LB7s. They all make a similar whistle to what the Cheetah does. And the turbine side is the limiting factor on all of them IMO. My bet is that on a single CP3 you will likely make very close to the same power on all 3 of the 68mm VVTs. Once you are pushing the limits of what the turbines can flow is when you will start to see which one has the best flowing turbine and makes the most max effort power. You can't however use the same tuning to test all 3, with the differences in the turbine side you would have to test and tune on each to get your vane position tables right. My best guess is that the Danville and Garrett models will be more durable that a Cheetah.

Ideally Garrett would develop and release a variable GT42 sized turbo with a much more free flowing turbine side.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
AFAIK the 71.5mm Cheetah is a BW K31 (A5K) wheel. Last I knew the 68 and 71.5mm cheetahs both use GT4088 turbine wheels in a stock LBZ housing with stock LBZ vanes. The 68mm uses a GT 4094 compressor in a machined stock compressor housing.

Might as well bring in the Danville 68mm stage 2 turbo as well. It is also a 4094 comp wheel in a machined stock housing. He uses the turbine from the AVNT 37 with custom vanes from fingers in an LLY turbine housing.

Lastly the AVNT 4094 uses a 4094 comp wheel in a housing that was made for it. I has a larger turbine than the AVNT 37, but one that was designed to be in an AVNT turbo. The compressor map is the same as the GT4094 but the exhaust side is more restrictive and therefore you won't get as much power out of it as you will a GT4094R.

They are all direct bolt on for LLY and newer trucks and now with the Fleece boost controller will also bolt onto LB7s. They all make a similar whistle to what the Cheetah does. And the turbine side is the limiting factor on all of them IMO. My bet is that on a single CP3 you will likely make very close to the same power on all 3 of the 68mm VVTs. Once you are pushing the limits of what the turbines can flow is when you will start to see which one has the best flowing turbine and makes the most max effort power. You can't however use the same tuning to test all 3, with the differences in the turbine side you would have to test and tune on each to get your vane position tables right. My best guess is that the Danville and Garrett models will be more durable that a Cheetah.

Ideally Garrett would develop and release a variable GT42 sized turbo with a much more free flowing turbine side.

Thanks for info! I didn't mean to imply that the AVNT40 used the same PN turbine wheel just they are the same size.

Wish I had the time and money to find the limits of the AVNT4094. I'm convinced it will make the power the normal 4094 will.

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The GT4094R isn't great either it ran higher egt's on my truck than the stock turbo and from what I have heard Drive pressure's are off the charts I blew a heagasket at only 40 psi of boost.

I am kicking around my next turbo set up it will either be the HTT, S400 using a wastegate with the turbonetics pedestal or a big VNT

I really want a big twin setup like trent has but I don't have the money

Last edited:

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal

Thank you as thats most of the info i was looking for see pat it wasent that hard.

Drholliday

May 28, 2008
Gresham, OR
If I had the money to burn on all 3 chargers I'd test them when I get back. I'd love to keep an ANVT on my truck after its built but right now no one offers one big enough to support the performance desires I have for the LBZ.