LMM: Arp main studs vs. new GM bolts.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Where are the limits of new stock bolts? Has anyone ever seen catastrophic failure from new stock bolts? I'm guessing the main caps can walk more easily with bolts vs studs.

Thank you

Waid

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Leaning towards studs, but honestly the motor will be run at 700-750hp for a long time... That's all my charger will do anyways. So new bolts would be much easier for me.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Bolts will hold plenty. Stock caps don't tend to walk around much being side bolted and having dowels. Plus with studs you'd need to check/ fix the line bore. If the block is already getting that treatment just throw studs at it.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Right^ I don't plan on doing any line work, if possible.

I didn't know they had dowels! I should have my motor apart tomorrow. Ah the joys of building, just need to find my money tree.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Right^ I don't plan on doing any line work, if possible.

I didn't know they had dowels! I should have my motor apart tomorrow. Ah the joys of building, just need to find my money tree.

only the rear main cap has dowels in it. some guys spend the little bit and machine out the caps/block to dowel all mains. not a bad idea but i wouldnt at 700-750.

what you need to look at is your end power goal. build the engine around that, not what you can do for the time being. otherwise plan on pulling it back out.

that said, stock bolts will be ok at 700-750 IMO but my opinion may differ from others. i dont believe anyone has shared what the max is stock ones can take, or atleast provide info showing the bolts were indeed beyond their capacity. doesnt mean noone has tried it though.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you're spending $2500+ on rods and $2000+ on pistons, what's another $350 on main studs? If you're really doing it right, you will want to have the mains line honed anyway to make sure everything is straight and to set proper main clearance.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
If you're spending $2500+ on rods and $2000+ on pistons, what's another $350 on main studs? If you're really doing it right, you will want to have the mains line honed anyway to make sure everything is straight and to set proper main clearance.

X2. I did billet mains and had them dowelled and used studs. Better peace of mind and insurance IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

same reason guys dont change the oil cooler or oil pump. its really about 450-500 after machine work and studs for the mains.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Yeah it's not the stud price. It's more work (that machinist could possibly screw up).

Machine wants 175 to line hone, they have never done a dmax. But he assures me it's no different than any other and can handle no prob. That's what has me somewhat gunshy. This is the one thing I cannot do myself line hone/cylinder hone. I'm real anal and particular about everything I do. i just hate to let someone else be in control. Typically people do not follow instructions <case in point:roflmao:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yeah it's not the stud price. It's more work (that machinist could possibly screw up).

Machine wants 175 to line hone, they have never done a dmax. But he assures me it's no different than any other and can handle no prob. That's what has me somewhat gunshy. This is the one thing I cannot do myself line hone/cylinder hone. I'm real anal and particular about everything I do. i just hate to let someone else be in control. Typically people do not follow instructions <case in point:roflmao:

this is why you give them the specs to hit and you double check their work afterward. they should be ready to work with you on that. align bore/hone isnt any different than most other V8's but he needs to know there is no "oversized bearings" for these blocks.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I'd stud it and line hone it. Tell him you want to watch him, if he doesn't like that, go somewhere else. I won't have nothing done without have the main done, I had a new GM 350 HO crate motor come with a main that was way out of spec, I smoked a new motor and had to get the main bored and new everything, the motor sat for over a year before it was ran so it was all on me.