anybody else sic of this?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I use to think Cummins Allison super duty was ultimate combo, but the Dmax has more then proven its self.

My old Super has a 06 LBZ CCLB with 285s that he beats the piss out of on his ranch and job sites. If we get any rain he has to drive around the job at lest once. Even though we all know its to wet to work and normally get stuck in the biggest mud hole on the job. He doesn't have sleeves even and I don't think he ever broke a tierod and his truck was all factory still at 120K. He did completely tear off his fuel color diving through some wood we where clearing.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I use to think Cummins Allison super duty was ultimate combo, but the Dmax has more then proven its self.

My old Super has a 06 LBZ CCLB with 285s that he beats the piss out of on his ranch and job sites. If we get any rain he has to drive around the job at lest once. Even though we all know its to wet to work and normally get stuck in the biggest mud hole on the job. He doesn't have sleeves even and I don't think he ever broke a tierod and his truck was all factory still at 120K. He did completely tear off his fuel color diving through some wood we where clearing.

Exactly they can take a beating.

Our farms LB7s are stock except for the towing tunes I made for them.

This fall it was wet in the fields when we were trying to get the bales off, so I had to use the hills to my advantage. Grossing between 30,000 and 40,000 I was bombing through the field at 40mph or so with the throttle to the floor and I was barely staying in teh seat, but dammit i made it out. When I got to the road the trans temp was at 280* and the coolant was at about 230* and it was 45* outside, so the truck got the piss beat out of it. They can take a beating.

Anybody else notice too tha throughout the course of a year Diesel Power and Diesel World run articles on the same stuff?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Tony, you just gotta bring me your truck and the parts i tell you to bring. once im done with it you wont have to worry about it off road for quite a while, even if you do that lift you NEED to buy.

Personally, those that have issues off road in our IFS trucks is mostly likely caused from mis-upkeep/maintence, or are jsut plain too hard on it (i was one of those). guys that drive them 90% on the road for 60k then hit a rock section in 4wd and hit the gas wonder why their tie rod popped the ball out or now has more slop in the steering cause they jsut took a worn out idler/pitman arm, made the drag link twist on them more, and jsut increased the slop in the idler/pitman arm or break them.

a cummins/alli/ford combo. yeah right. Maybe i should get my truck in one of those mag to show those retards what a IFS truck can do and make them compare mine to a high dollar straight axle conversioned chevy. that would make for one interesting read cause i know ive pretty much made my front end stronger than hell and for less then a straight axle kit

Linden

Sparkplugs FTL
Dec 12, 2009
Florida
^so your going to tell me your "built" IFS's aluminum differential could handle 37s and a locker

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
^so your going to tell me your "built" IFS's aluminum differential could handle 37s and a locker

That sounds like a Ford Boy argument... That there is aluminum which means it not no casted iron steel. Duramax sucks it's got gull durned aluminum heads all theyz do is warp like board.

What does the differental being aluminum have anything to do with 37's and a locker??? Half shafts will break before you carck a caseing in most cases. Have I seen a cracked case on an IFS? Yeppers sure have but the damnest thing I have seen cast iron diff's do the same.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Not in any situation, jsut like the ford super 60 with a locker in a rock garden gettin the frontend in a bind would blow a u-joint or hub. but yeah my "built" IFS would handle 37s and a locker in most situations without issue.

That sounds like a Ford Boy argument... That there is aluminum which means it not no casted iron steel. Duramax sucks it's got gull durned aluminum heads all theyz do is warp like board.

What does the differental being aluminum have anything to do with 37's and a locker??? Half shafts will break before you carck a caseing in most cases. Have I seen a cracked case on an IFS? Yeppers sure have but the damnest thing I have seen cast iron diff's do the same.

Yeah, not sure what hes gettin at.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
None of these heavy trucks are worth much off road due to their weight. May not tear them up but they sure as hell get stuck a whole lot easier. I've never understood why some believe the straight front axle is better, but to each his own. The IFS does get a little tricky under big power for drag racing, but obviously can be made to work and work well.

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
The whole IFS thing gets old. I like it, even though it takes some parts to pull off a "safe" 4wd boost launch. I've never tried it but with the right parts, I'd try it. I like the comfort of the IFS as well.

Although the Fords never really bothered me, the freaking Dodges ride like turtle on crack with a broken shell.

I've heard too many stories about Cummins guys around here breaking input shafts thinkin their front axle was invincible. :rofl:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all

How about 35's a locker around 900+hp and 1200lbs of weight hangin off the front? 25+ Truck pulls 0 broken parts in the front end this year. Im pretty sure it doesnt get much harder than that, yeah, it is on dirt, but look how many more guys break rear axles (even aftermarket ones) pulling than they do on pavement.:thumb:

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
How about 35's a locker around 900+hp and 1200lbs of weight hangin off the front? 25+ Truck pulls 0 broken parts in the front end this year. Im pretty sure it doesnt get much harder than that, yeah, it is on dirt, but look how many more guys break rear axles (even aftermarket ones) pulling than they do on pavement.:thumb:

Man's got a point. :thumb:

Linden

Sparkplugs FTL
Dec 12, 2009
Florida

Im not saying ifs doesnt have a purpose nor that it can't be built to suit a need. i personally see no reason to sas my truck till i am doing a set of top loaders. with the weight and power of a cc duramax one tons can easily break also. but when it comes down to it a sas suspension is going to be superior in articulation and strength in offroad conditions.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Im not saying ifs doesnt have a purpose nor that it can't be built to suit a need. i personally see no reason to sas my truck till i am doing a set of top loaders. with the weight and power of a cc duramax one tons can easily break also. but when it comes down to it a sas suspension is going to be superior in articulation and strength in offroad conditions.

In articualtion yes, superior strength off road i still aruge the point.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood

x2, I snapped a lot of shafts in my front end once when spooling up, but that has nothing to do with the housing being aluminum.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Well ive got good ole 2wd that I like so dont give a flip:rofl: :angel:

Anyhow, IMHO the diesel mags have gone to sh!t for the most part. Usual same crap. Now i'll pick them up and thumb trough the mags to see if theres anything in it to sway me into buying it. But usually it goes back on the shelf... I wished they'd improve, I like reading things that are more obscure.