anybody else sic of this?

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Just got my new issue of diesel power, what's on the cover?

Cummins Allison super duty, ultimate combo.

I don't think its the ultimate combo, I think its a beat to death pointless topic

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Just got my new issue of diesel power, what's on the cover?

Cummins Allison super duty, ultimate combo.

I don't think its the ultimate combo, I think its a beat to death pointless topic

agreed i dont even read Diesel Power anymore

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I agree, that isn't the ultimate combo, but both my Dad and uncle believe that IS the ultimate combo. So they are just selling what sells. The ultimate combo in my opinion is the Duramax/Allison in, well, just about anything. I like the "old body style" trucks (mine) best, but a close 2nd is the 9th generation ('92-'97) Fords. A distant 3rd is the 2011 Fords tied with the 2011 GMCs. A Duramax/Allison in any of those makes me happy.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
got 2 spin a thread to sell mags.im afraid not much real new truck concepts or designs out there. i dont see myself renwing DP or DW...

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I get a new DP mag. and thumb through it, maybe find one decent article to read. Ten minutes of reading and I'm done for the month. Not allot of tech content. It is a very good source to find out what Banks has going on though.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I stopped getting that mag when they had that retarded blue/yellow Cummins POS in there. It was from Idaho and looked ****in stupid. That pushed me over the edge.

BUT I did register with the NHRDA this summer so I get in the mail AGAIN. I don't really look at it and throw it on the lunch table at work. Problem solved.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The only time I ever buy one of those magazines is when someone I know is in it.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
But do either of you take your trucks offroad very often? I like IFS for it's ride and lack of "death wobble" but I like to take my truck out and explore the outdoors and it seems as though whenever I do so I end up having to get something replaced that gave out. I'm not talking about taking trails at 50 MPH either...don't want to turn this into an IFS vs SFA thread though. If I could afford it I'd do an SFA but for now I'm going to throw an IFS lift under it and see how I like it.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I punish my truck off road in the hay fields hitting terraces and hauling huge loads and the IFS is perfect. Our Ford and Dodge trucks had more front end issues than any of our IFS GM trucks. Ford had Hub breakage issues and the dodge's had death wobble and hub issues.

SFA is dinosuar tech. IFS is an evolution in tech.

Oh DP sucks

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
No, I don't "offroad" my 3/4 ton crew cab diesel. It's too big and heavy to do anything other than get stuck and dented. I learned that lesson with my '92 extended cab 1/2 ton. That said, I have taken it out on a snow run with the offroad club I was in when I was in Idaho. It actually did pretty good. It was a lot of fun doing donuts :D I took it out on some sand dunes too. It did okay, but it got a little hot.

GeorgiaDuramax

Enthusiast
May 5, 2010
Georgia
I never take my truck off the pavement. Wouldn't ever bring myself to do it. But IFS does ride good. But I really don't think that the whole cummins allison super duty is a good combo.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
No, I don't "offroad" my 3/4 ton crew cab diesel. It's too big and heavy to do anything other than get stuck and dented. I learned that lesson with my '92 extended cab 1/2 ton. That said, I have taken it out on a snow run with the offroad club I was in when I was in Idaho. It actually did pretty good. It was a lot of fun doing donuts :D I took it out on some sand dunes too. It did okay, but it got a little hot.

i couldn't agree more... who in the hell honestly offroads their 60,000$ truck? my truck saw the offroad for one night back when it was brand new, one night of incompetence caused 2 bent cross members, bent rear diff cover, and my engine got covered in mud water which caused calcium deposits to blanket every single piece of cast aluminum under my hood.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
i couldn't agree more... who in the hell honestly offroads their 60,000$ truck? my truck saw the offroad for one night back when it was brand new, one night of incompetence caused 2 bent cross members, bent rear diff cover, and my engine got covered in mud water which caused calcium deposits to blanket every single piece of cast aluminum under my hood.

Same people who turn them into race trucks, sled pullers and land speed racers :coolspot::happy2:

Not that I would know anyone like that :spit:

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks

That's awesome! I must just have that kind of luck lol. But seriously this thing has been offroad a handful of times and everytime something has broken. That's where I'm coming from. But again I'm going to try an IFS lift and see how it goes. I've heard that once fully and correctly upgraded the IFS can take quite the beating :D

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Same people who turn them into race trucks, sled pullers and land speed racers :coolspot::happy2:

Not that I would know anyone like that :spit:

And those of us who don't have the $$ or sponsorship to keep up in drag racing, sled pulling and LSR use them as DD's and fun weekend trucks. I mean I didn't grow up where pavement was the common route of travel so that's why I've been a little let down by stock IFS systems on these trucks.