Allison tech info

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Came by an ad for tciauto.com for their 6 spd. auto with manual/auto wire up that would go back of that 12v cheaper and 700R4 will take alot so for the argument of simpler and cheaper maybe they can offer a new idea. Other idea maybe Painless who has wiring for a customer's custom needs too but you have internals to resolve and this match of 6 spd and 12V is just new to most. I'm leaning toward this TCI gig and that 383 stroker from Summit on sale for $4k on one project because it's cheaper and will make great power that I can later just put on a Procharger to finish it. GM gas rodding is getting affordable for nice street jobs it's a gotta look at it deal compared to all this high cost diesel build up beef up club. I'm tempted to just leave the LBZ stock just turned up enough to pull hard and build this gas deal, just our take but it's your build so have fun it's one for the firsts probably when you nail the details.

MaxPF

JAFAWAM
Jan 12, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Came by an ad for tciauto.com for their 6 spd. auto with manual/auto wire up that would go back of that 12v cheaper and 700R4 will take alot so for the argument of simpler and cheaper maybe they can offer a new idea. Other idea maybe Painless who has wiring for a customer's custom needs too but you have internals to resolve and this match of 6 spd and 12V is just new to most. I'm leaning toward this TCI gig and that 383 stroker from Summit on sale for $4k on one project because it's cheaper and will make great power that I can later just put on a Procharger to finish it. GM gas rodding is getting affordable for nice street jobs it's a gotta look at it deal compared to all this high cost diesel build up beef up club. I'm tempted to just leave the LBZ stock just turned up enough to pull hard and build this gas deal, just our take but it's your build so have fun it's one for the firsts probably when you nail the details.

Their 6 speed is a 4L80E with a modified VB that allows the OD planetary to be engaged in 1st and 2nd, giving you 1st over and 2nd over. The added ratios aren't that great, and the added cycling of the OD clutches probably doesnt do any favors for their longevity either. As far as a 700 behind a Cummins, it would smoke clutches in a hurry, if it didn't break the input drum first.

I did the gas thing. 10MPG on road sucked, and off road it was a real pig. Nope - diesel is where it's at. And I WILL make this transmission work.

Dieselwiesel

Jan 17, 2011
This thread has been helpful to me I also want to make the swap to a six speed ally and have found one for 750 bucks but I already have a 5 speed and don't want to purchase the six unless I can get it to work stand alone so I talked to fleece performance today and they said within the next 4-6 weeks they will have a stand alone tcm programable by the user price I don't know just thought you might like to know.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
For the SAE3 bellhouse other thing is manual like Spicer 6 spd. get a wire harness from Destroked type shop then you have a good tranny/clutch to hold that 12v and not the loss in the auto. If you like auto the cost just go on up. Guess it's budget limits and what's reasonable to go thru for a 6 spd. auto. I had a 700R in a tonner that was excellent with reasonable use probably not 12V but that 454 ran real good and held up for what we did to it. Hell the old 727 I had in my 93 goater went thru hell and never crapped out so it's alot of pick it but how far out is it taking the job in cost.

MaxPF

JAFAWAM
Jan 12, 2011
Mesa, AZ
I have a manual right now, and i am swapping to an auto, and the auto I have chosen is the Allison. Period. :D

MaxPF

JAFAWAM
Jan 12, 2011
Mesa, AZ
This thread has been helpful to me I also want to make the swap to a six speed ally and have found one for 750 bucks but I already have a 5 speed and don't want to purchase the six unless I can get it to work stand alone so I talked to fleece performance today and they said within the next 4-6 weeks they will have a stand alone tcm programable by the user price I don't know just thought you might like to know.

I will have mine running before then. I have all the tech info I should need, and I am already designing a throttle interface box to send throttle info to the TCM. Turns out running a Gen 4 box is a lot easier than I thought it would be :cool:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I will have mine running before then. I have all the tech info I should need, and I am already designing a throttle interface box to send throttle info to the TCM. Turns out running a Gen 4 box is a lot easier than I thought it would be :cool:

Are you using an 8.1 TCM?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

Remember that you may need to tweak the TPS VS shift point tables as an 8.1L TCM won't go into 5th under full power is what I was told. You could always set your WOT tables down some and make it use say 75% throttle instead of 100%. And I believe ALLISON makes an interface box just for this that converts an analog into J1939 code.