Allison 1000 6 spd to 5 spd

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
I picked up a basically new (70 miles) pull-out 1000 6 speed with TCM. I have the Destroked kit with XFC to put an Allison behind my Cummins but that is only good for the 5 speed currently. The plan was to swap out the valve body assembly and TCM from a 5 speed.

I know you can swap up to a 6 speed so my question is can it be done the other way?

Thanks

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
there are differences in the valve body and nsbu. i have a 5 speed and torque converter that needs a rebuild, new bellhousing, and nsbu. pm me if you want to talk about a swap with cash for yours. -kyle

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
there are differences in the valve body and nsbu. i have a 5 speed and torque converter that needs a rebuild, new bellhousing, and nsbu. pm me if you want to talk about a swap with cash for yours. -kyle

I'm pretty sure I would need your TCM as well. I'm also nowhere near a rebuilder. I also have the factory T/C. The T/C is just for core purposes.

Last edited:

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
if you are getting a kit it should include a standalone tcm as a tcm out of a duramax equipped vehicle is uselss for your application if i am not mistaken. champion transmission is about 20 minutes from my house, they are on this site and are a reputable allison builder, i could have him build the trans for you and then ship it out if you like.

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
I have to use a TCM. I have to get some more info from Destroked regarding this. I have their kit, with XFC and harnesses. I'm sure a rebuild would also put this over what I can spend right now.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I picked up a basically new (70 miles) pull-out 1000 6 speed with TCM. I have the Destroked kit with XFC to put an Allison behind my Cummins but that is only good for the 5 speed currently. The plan was to swap out the valve body assembly and TCM from a 5 speed.

I know you can swap up to a 6 speed so my question is can it be done the other way?

Thanks

They can be switched either way. The 6 speed is a better trans to work with as it is stronger. Call me.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
if you are getting a kit it should include a standalone tcm as a tcm out of a duramax equipped vehicle is uselss for your application if i am not mistaken. champion transmission is about 20 minutes from my house, they are on this site and are a reputable allison builder, i could have him build the trans for you and then ship it out if you like.

There is no stand-alone controller for an ALLISON other than the ALLISON controller. PCS tried and they ended up building the XFC for DESTROKED as there controller wasn't capable of reliably shifting the ALLISON without it shifting into reverse randaomnly at highway speeds. The DESTROKED kit uses a standard 03-05 TCM out of a DURAMAX truck and the XFC hooks into the 2 J1939 CAN bus wires that would normally hook into the ECM and FICM from what I have found. I've been considering getting an XFC for my swap as I am having trouble getting a BCM to command tow/haul mode to come on. The $500 though for an XFC seems like a steep price just to get tow/haul mode to work.

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
I have got to lay off the bath water. This flu must be really be making me think differently. The TCM is good.

DestrokedAllisonwiring.jpg

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I believe if you could get ahold of a TCM out of one of the super rare 06 8.1L ALLISON 6 speeds you could use the XFC and make it work. Then use EFILIVE to adjust the shift points back down to a sane level and you could have a factory 6 speed.

Last edited:

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
I believe if you could get ahold of a TCM out of one of the super rare 06 8.1L ALLISON 6 speeds you could use the XFC and make it work. Then use EFILIVE to adjust the shift points back down to a sane level and you could have a factory 6 speed.

Guessing that the 06 TCM is different than the rest of the 6 speed TCM's? I always figured that if you had a type of TCM (5 spd or 6 spd), you could, with EFILive reprogram it for a 8.1, or Duramax. If that were the case, then all you would need is the rare 8.1L Allison TCM operating system.

2wpuller

old sckool
Mar 22, 2011
Washington,Mo
The 8.1 setup works great EFI does adjust. Everything you need.There is a few of us have this system going.
Only none gm part used is a cat. Tps
Dale

TaderzNgravy

Feb 4, 2015
Middletown, DE
Bombdoc, if you still need a 5 spd tcm and valvebody let me know. I can swap you in about a week or so. I work right in Elkton, so you aren't far away at all. You're right off exit 80, right?

Edit: I realize the low post count may look sketchy, but I can pm you my number if you're interested.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Since the thread got brought back from the dead lol..... While the 06 8.1/Allison might be rare, if a vin for one can be found (found one on fleabay), the tcm is as common as any other as you could use TIS to flash the calibration to any 4th gen TCM.