A friendly warning to those with HBP.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'm posting this on a few forums I frequent in hopes it may save somebody from going through what I just got through with the last week.

I have fairly high blood pressure, and about 11 months ago I was put on lisinopril with hydroclorothiazide 20/12.5MG 1 pill twice a day. Thanksgiving night I came down sick with what I thought was just a cold, by Sunday I was feeling better, then on Tuesday night things toook a turn for the worse. Wednesday I woke up with NO energy, could barely keep my eyes open, and was itching from my elbows down to my hands, my knees down, and my feet, hands, and back were swollen. I took some benadryll thinking I had gotten into something that I was allergic to, some cold meds, and tried to sleep it off. Thursday morning at 3:43 I woke up by throwing the dog off the bed, and was clawing and scratching at my skin. I was swollen to the point I could barely close my hands, and my feet were blown up to the point I couldn't put shoes on. My fingers and toes were so swollen they were cracking. Took more benadryll, but this wasn't stopping. Went straight to the ER thonking it was just an allergic reaction still.

The ER doc took one look at me and my med list, and immediately said he thought it was a little more serious. They put me on even more benadryll, prednosone, and lorazopram to knock me out so the meds could kick in. Later that day I went to my regular doc, and he said I had what looked like an allergic reaction to my BP med, but to make sure he had me go cold turkey on all of my other meds to make sure, and loaded me up on more antihistamines. Friday morning the only med I took was my BP med, and within an hour my tongie started swelling up, and I broke out in hives. Turns out I had what was called angioedema. Basically it is where your blood vessels secrete all the water in your blood out into your body under your skin, and you swell up. It looks like an allergic reaction from the toxins in your blood that normally don't contact your skin contacts it.

Heres the kicker, most people do not develop this until they have been taking the medication for 1-2 years, and the most common place it occurs is your throat and tongue. I read that many ignore the symptoms, and within a day or 2 your tongie and throat swell shut suffocating you, and if this occurs in your sleep, you may not be able to wake up and call for help. I'm trying to warn others about this as my regular doctor nor my cardiologist warned me this could happen, and I was caught completely off guard by this. So hopefully the tale of my rough week is a warning to others who take this med, or other alpha blockers for high blood pressure to NOT fool around if you have mysterious allergic reactions, or if you notice ANY swelling in your tongue or throat, DO NOT hesitate to call your doctor or go the ER as this can happen RAPIDLY! Within a period of a few hours(like during your sleep), your throat could swell shut and block off your airway entirely. I know many take meds for high blood pressure now, so be careful and vigilant of your body when taking them as they can turn on you in an instant WITHOUT warning YEARS after taking them successfully.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Sorry about that hell you went through!

One of two things happen with doctors:

1) they tell you all the side affects, you freak out and don't want to take them (more than likely you'll forget)

2) they just say there's side affects but don't bother with detail.

Good clinical doctors are hard to come by.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Ferman, reads as though you were fortunate, you're doing better and caught it just in time. Might I suggest to all who take any prescriptions take the time to speak (consultation) with the Pharmacist when having your prescription filled. The Pharmacist is the most overlooked and underutilized profession in the medical field, they know the drugs your doctors for the most part do not.

My wife was questioning a prescription and I told her to call the Pharmacist, she balked at me and I persisted that she do so. After prodding her a bit more she called and as I already knew the Pharmacist was on the phone with her in less than a minute.

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare-Medica...ds/drugdiversion-patientcounseling-111414.pdf
=
=
=

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
36 hours after coming off of it, I'm doing night and day better, but the last few days were not fun, and quite honestly down right scary when you out of nowhere go into violent itching, and swell up out of nowhere. What caught me off guard the most was that I had been on it for almost a year. This wasn't a listed side effect, but normally takes 1-2 years before it shows up. So it's not like it's something you even think to look for as after a year you've dropped your guard and think you're in the clear. I made the mistake and thought it was simple, so I tried treating myself at home instead of going in when my wife told me to(believe me, I'll never hear the end of it). But in less than 24 hours I went from just a slight rash with some itching to full on swollen up clawing at my skin trying to ruip it off it hurt so bad. And going to the ER and them saying they're not sure what it is didn't help either. I'm glad I played it safe and immediatley went to my primary doctor about it instead of waiting even longer. By the next day even on all the meds to control the itching and swelling, my tongue had started swelling up to the point I couldn't close my mouth, and I broke out in hives all over. Just glad my doctor knew what to look for instead of doing like so many who would have just refferred me to a dermatologist or something for an allergic reaction.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Glad it ended it way it did ferm. Rest up and get better.

Thanks for the heads up as my dad is on some new stuff going on a year now.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I had an allergic reaction to the chemical used to sterilize the canal after a root canal. My face and neck swelled beyond belief, it was scary as hell. I know what you went thru, not fun, my dentist was calling me every couple of hours checking on me for 2 days. I had to take an entire regiment of prednisone at one time to get the swelling under control, that wasnt fun by itself either. Glad you made it thru Ferm, this place wouldnt be the same without you...

MrBunny

Sep 14, 2015
Lake City, FL
Im glad that you are doing ok and now you know what was going on. Hopefully you can get on some different meds and work it all out. thank you for the heads up.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
wow - glad that you are doing better! You've had enough medical worries over there in the last couple years!

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Wow glad you are still with us!!! That was a scary read I came into the thread expecting to read about a truck part that didn't perform and that is bad but when it involves a life it becomes a whole new deal... I really hope we don't have anymore stories like this to share among us..

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The actual reaction started Tuesday night with just a small tingle in my thumb in my left hand, woke up Wednesday morning and could barely get out of bed I was so tired, but only stightly itchy, during Wednesday my back started swelling, went to bed woke up at 3:43 with my hands swollen, my feet swollen, and clawing at my skin I was itching so bad. Went to the ER, and they got it under control, my primary took me off everything but my BP med to rule out my other meds, and Friday morning I broke out in hives and my tongue started swelling up. Switched me to losarta which I took Saturday morning, and I was back up and going today. In 24 hours it put me in the hospital, another 24 hours it got worse, and in less than 48 hours after that I was back up and going like it never happened. The scariest part is I was never warned about this possibly happening, my cardiologist felt my side effects(dry hacking cough, and freezing cold feet) were acceptable, but never warned me about this. it might be a cheap BP med, but people need to be warned about this possibly happening. Espescially when theres an alternative with half the side effects, that only costs a few cents more a pill.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Wow glad you're alright & thanks for the heads up!

HBP runs in my dads family but in spite of me being obese, I've somehow been blessed with impeccable health. When I reached morbid obesity my BP was on the high side of of the safe range but not considered high enough for mess. I've lost some weight and it's been perfectly normal.

pgr11

Sep 8, 2014
Hesperia, CA
So was it the lisinopril that was the problem? I've been taking that for 3 years or so and this is the first I've heard of it. Makes me very nervous.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
So was it the lisinopril that was the problem? I've been taking that for 3 years or so and this is the first I've heard of it. Makes me very nervous.

Yes. Lisinopril is a known cause of angeoedema. I was told nothing of it, never read anything about it in the side effects, but after roughly 11 months of being on it, this happened. I'm back on all of meds except now I'm on lasorta for my blood pressure, and feeling like it never happened.

nuffsaid

Nov 17, 2008
Worland, Wyoming
Ferm, thanks for bringing this up.

In mid September I was deer hunting in the Gros Vente Wilderness of Wyoming, I had killed a deer and was getting ready to go pack it out back to my spike camp with my horses. My back was hurting so I took 3 Aleve tablets to help ease the pain. Within about 20 minutes, I could feel my tongue starting to swell on the left side. I had a friend with me and I told him I was having a hard time talking. I wasn't having any trouble breathing, so I pushed through. I looked through my med bag for any antihistamines and I didn't have any with me. I knew I had some back at the 5er 8 miles away. I packed up camp and hiked the 8 miles out leading my horses. By the time I got to my trailer, the swelling was gone. I returned home the next day and told my wife who is a nurse. That night, my back was hurting again so I took 4 Aleve tablets (I know, the dose is 2) the next morning I woke up and was watching tv with my wife and I told her my tongue felt like it was swelling again. I also had some swelling and some hives that itched like crazy. I took a Zertek and then she gave me some liquid Benydryl. I learned there are 3 different histamine blockers to take. Zertek is one Benydry is another and the other is found in a stomache med and starts with an Omn...... sorry can't remember.
My wife drug me to the ER where I got a shot of prednisone and they watched to make sure my tongue didn't interfere with my breathing. I was told to stay away from Aleve and all forms of Ibuprofen. I have been taking Advil for years.
I went and saw my regular doctor after breaking out in hives numerous times. He told me to keep taking Zertek. I don't like taking meds, so I only take it when needed. Since the event, I hadn't taken any pain meds until last week when I took two Tylenol. Out of know where, two days later my tongue swelled again, this time I was at work and went and talked to our staff RN. I took a Zertek and the swelling went away within a few hours. I am still randomly breaking out in hives, usually no more than a half a dozen at a time. The next step will probably be an allergist, but then I just found out that my mother also breaks out with hives and has her tongue swell. She is on a lot of meds for a long time, but is it meds or heredity? In any event this is good information that doctors don't tell you about.

ty_LBZ

Camaro killa
Dec 6, 2014
Farmington, NM
Yes. Lisinopril is a known cause of angeoedema. I was told nothing of it, never read anything about it in the side effects, but after roughly 11 months of being on it, this happened. I'm back on all of meds except now I'm on lasorta for my blood pressure, and feeling like it never happened.

Wow! I been on Lisinopril for my HBP for about a year now, never heard of this, may need to have a talk with the Doc. Glad your doing better

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Ferm, thanks for bringing this up.

In mid September I was deer hunting in the Gros Vente Wilderness of Wyoming, I had killed a deer and was getting ready to go pack it out back to my spike camp with my horses. My back was hurting so I took 3 Aleve tablets to help ease the pain. Within about 20 minutes, I could feel my tongue starting to swell on the left side. I had a friend with me and I told him I was having a hard time talking. I wasn't having any trouble breathing, so I pushed through. I looked through my med bag for any antihistamines and I didn't have any with me. I knew I had some back at the 5er 8 miles away. I packed up camp and hiked the 8 miles out leading my horses. By the time I got to my trailer, the swelling was gone. I returned home the next day and told my wife who is a nurse. That night, my back was hurting again so I took 4 Aleve tablets (I know, the dose is 2) the next morning I woke up and was watching tv with my wife and I told her my tongue felt like it was swelling again. I also had some swelling and some hives that itched like crazy. I took a Zertek and then she gave me some liquid Benydryl. I learned there are 3 different histamine blockers to take. Zertek is one Benydry is another and the other is found in a stomache med and starts with an Omn...... sorry can't remember.
My wife drug me to the ER where I got a shot of prednisone and they watched to make sure my tongue didn't interfere with my breathing. I was told to stay away from Aleve and all forms of Ibuprofen. I have been taking Advil for years.
I went and saw my regular doctor after breaking out in hives numerous times. He told me to keep taking Zertek. I don't like taking meds, so I only take it when needed. Since the event, I hadn't taken any pain meds until last week when I took two Tylenol. Out of know where, two days later my tongue swelled again, this time I was at work and went and talked to our staff RN. I took a Zertek and the swelling went away within a few hours. I am still randomly breaking out in hives, usually no more than a half a dozen at a time. The next step will probably be an allergist, but then I just found out that my mother also breaks out with hives and has her tongue swell. She is on a lot of meds for a long time, but is it meds or heredity? In any event this is good information that doctors don't tell you about.
My primary told me to take zyrtec instead of benadryll, and that pepcid and zantac have the antihistimine in them as he put me in zantac 150 twice a day and zyrtec till i get all the lisinopril out of my system.

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
I've been on lisinopril and metoprolol tartrate for HBP for close to 10 years now, never knew that could happen with lisinopril :eek:

I'm glad you're ok, that would be a most unpleasant experience!!!