Info: 8.50 Roll Cage for Casper:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Looks good other than the seat mounting. I'm not a fan of having a roll cage tubing pointed perpendiclaur to my body. I don't think that would pass NASCAR tech. The trouble would arise when backing it into the wall at high speed.

I really like the look of everything else. I'll have to talk with Mitch about doing some work on "White Lightning".

Not sure if I can hit a wall at Bonneville, I'd run out of fuel first. :D

Seriously...

Are you talking about the two seat supports on the back? Hmm... Well at least they are arc'd so they would bent a bit, but yes, that perhaps should get a revision.

I still need "Helmet Bars" which is a new SCTA rule for this year. They stop the helmet from going more than 2" side to side, kinda like a funny car halo. Those will be removable.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Heres an idea for ya Pat... On our pro-mod, the chute lever is roof mounted up by funny car halo. We decided to make it easyier and safer to trip the chutes, we added a pnumatic cylinder to pull the chutes out at the top end, so he can keep his hands on the wheel. Works very simple, we utilized the CO2 system for the air-shifters, we just added a tee into the regulated psi line and used an NOS nitrous solinoid to supply the power. There is a button mounted on the steering wheel to activate it. Nice to have so both hands can be kept on the wheel. Cars like this can get out of hand at 200+mph and throwing out the chutes can be a last ditch save and while your man-handling the wheel its hard to find that lever. So, thought id share as this might be usefull to you!

I can take pics if needed!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I bought a Stroud chute system, and to be honest, it's really Mickey Mouse. I had the option of pneumatic (CO2) or mechanical launcher, and I picked mechanical since I don't run compressed air onboard. Now I'm kind of regretting that.

I put a nick in my right thigh trying to arm the mechanical one, it's really dangerous and poorly thought out.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I bought a Stroud chute system, and to be honest, it's really Mickey Mouse. I had the option of pneumatic (CO2) or mechanical launcher, and I picked mechanical since I don't run compressed air onboard. Now I'm kind of regretting that.

I put a nick in my right thigh trying to arm the mechanical one, it's really dangerous and poorly thought out.

The CO2 lever actuator might be a good idea for you?
Well, our system is a fully mechanical set-up, we just added the pnumatic lever actuator to it! I think what your thinking of is the chute pack? there are air-operated launchers or traditional spring/pilot chute packs, which is what we have that are also stroud. The onboard air is nuthin, just a small aluminum CO2 bottle, doesn't weigh much at all. It could be used for more than one purpous too. For example it could deploy your chutes and be an intercooler chiller? Might require a lil bigger bottle but might be up your alley for a lil extra power to get her to 200+ :D Of course the chute lever is still releasable manually too. I like the spring pack type chutes, less to go wrong.
We also mounted the chute packs aimed upward to launch them into the airstream. we had them almost level but vaccum behind the car droped them down and slowed deployment. We even had them get caught in the wheelie bar once, and we have a net it for that reason but it still happened. One more lil tip...we riveted an Adel clamp to the chute pack flap to hold the cable from whiping around when not in the pack and will prevent the chutes from deploying from the cable slipping out unwantedlly. Theres also some cool lil aluminum chute cable ends to keep the end from tearin stuff up cause there kinda sharp! If theres anything i can help with, lemme know! A 200+mph pro-mod has alot in common with the goal of an LSA truck in the way of race tech and saftey! :hug:

Heres a few pics of some of it when it was beein built a while ago! You can kinda see the chute handle in the overhead panel pic! (like our label for the kill switch) LMAO

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The only time you are allowed to bolt the rollcage in, is when you have a unibody like a modern Camaro. If you have a frame, you must weld. This is true for both NHRA and SCTA.

Our vette has a frame, so it's welded. Our rollbar in Casper wasn't really legal since it was bolted, but I did tell the shop it was to be weld, they just didn't do it.

I'll get back to you on that. The NHRA rulebook I have is dated. New one ordered as well as SCTA rulebook.

As I read and understand; Unibody must use a bolted sandwich plate setup to attach the cage. Framed vehicles must attach to the frame but can bolt (sandwich again) or weld to the frame.

I'll eat the crow, if need be, after I have the current books in front of me.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Is this the rule you guys are talking about?

"All cars with OEM Frame must have roll cage welded to frame"

Attachments

• bar (Large).JPG
    bar (Large).JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 39

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Looks good, i bet it strengthend up chassis flex. Do you think you may get better 60ft times? Is drag racing days of the past for Casper?

No, Casper should be at Pinks All Out in Sonoma CA next month, and maybe even a sled pull a month from now.

I want Casper to be a Swiss Army Knife racetruck.

Now where is the scissor blade...

;)

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
I don't care what SCTA or NHRA has to say. Having bars near your head is a really bad idea. :eek:

I much prefer having an aluminum or carbon fiber seat with side supports for my head and then wearing a Hutchens/Hans device. All of the above is designed for a gradual dissapation of energy rather than a sudden stop which generally has the effect of slamming your brain into the inside of your skull.

Pat I know you don't have to worry about hitting a concrete retaining wall in the salt but you do have to worry about barrel rolling the thing at 200 mph. :eek:

And today Nascar guys tend to walk away from such things..............:hug: for some reason Drag racers don't................:confused:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I don't care what SCTA or NHRA has to say. Having bars near your head is a really bad idea. :eek:

I much prefer having an aluminum or carbon fiber seat with side supports for my head and then wearing a Hutchens/Hans device. All of the above is designed for a gradual dissapation of energy rather than a sudden stop which generally has the effect of slamming your brain into the inside of your skull.

Pat I know you don't have to worry about hitting a concrete retaining wall in the salt but you do have to worry about barrel rolling the thing at 200 mph. :eek:

And today Nascar guys tend to walk away from such things..............:hug: for some reason Drag racers don't................:confused:

I agree with the "helmet bars" that the SCTA wants. Many of them I saw looked dangerous, not safer.

A Hans device is to keep you from breaking your neck when you centerpunch the wall. The cool thing about a 6500lb diesel pickup, is that usually walls don't stop them! :D

But the most important safety aspect is a truck that is stable and predictable. The best way to avoid injury is not to crash. And that's where we focus the most attention to.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
I agree with the "helmet bars" that the SCTA wants. Many of them I saw looked dangerous, not safer.

A Hans device is to keep you from breaking your neck when you centerpunch the wall. The cool thing about a 6500lb diesel pickup, is that usually walls don't stop them! :D

But the most important safety aspect is a truck that is stable and predictable. The best way to avoid injury is not to crash. And that's where we focus the most attention to.
actually a hans device will also limit how fast your head aclerates and slows it at a gradual pace and limit its travel so your brain does not suddnley stop in you skull. :)

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
actually a hans device will also limit how fast your head aclerates and slows it at a gradual pace and limit its travel so your brain does not suddnley stop in you skull. :)
Is the hans just for the brain, if so I'm good without one lol

Looks good Pat. Can't wait to see it run an a couple weeks.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
I'll have to talk with Mitch about doing some work on "White Lightning".

Somebody already has:cool2:

Heres an idea for ya Pat... On our pro-mod, the chute lever is roof mounted up by funny car halo. We decided to make it easyier and safer to trip the chutes, we added a pnumatic cylinder to pull the chutes out at the top end, so he can keep his hands on the wheel. Works very simple, we utilized the CO2 system for the air-shifters, we just added a tee into the regulated psi line and used an NOS nitrous solinoid to supply the power. There is a button mounted on the steering wheel to activate it. Nice to have so both hands can be kept on the wheel.

This is how we have ours...

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
If you mean the driver's door that the bar is on a spring loaded pin and will swing open so I can get my fat ass in and out.:D

I need one of those :D

We are out of time. In future will most likely make the door bars removable.