6-hole injectors on LMM's??

MoJoe

I got issues
Mar 5, 2008
Southern Maryland
That doc is close to what I was told by a GM rep at an auto show last year. Everything I have read points to it having 6 hole injectors. I have no idea what the previous years had though.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
LBZ injector # 97361355 list $504.10 net $378.07 $100.00 core each
Revised fuel system with new injectors
For 2006, the injector tips have been rotated approximately 35 degrees compared to those on the previous injectors. This re-orientation points one of the seven spray holes directly toward the glow plug, improving the Duramax 6600’s cold-start performance
Each state-of-the-art high-pressure injector has its own solenoid to manage fuel spray, with seven spray points in each injector tip for better fuel vaporization.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LLM injector # 98002368 list $779.12 net $545.39 $100.00 core each
FUEL INJECTORS IMPROVE COMBUSTION CHARACTERISTICS
Sophisticated solenoid injectors are used to precisely control combustion and to take advantage of the cleaner Ultra Low Sulfur fuel federally mandated to be available for all on-road diesel vehicles beginning in the 2007 model year. The injectors have six specially shaped holes, developed by Powertrain engineers to better atomize fuel for complete combustion of the fuel. The injectors are programmed to inject fuel into the combustion chamber at multiple intervals during one compression stroke. By doing this, the combustion event can be tailored to lower emissions and reduce noise at its source.

Last edited:

mde

fuel injection is my life
Mar 17, 2007
Bucky State
Why 6 holes? ok here my explanation: With 6 bigger holes we get less atomization, so what the fu$$ we need less atomization: Our new DPF needs bigger particle to stick on that stupid DPF ... also the EGR's gets higher which helps to regenrate that stupid DPF ...

just my 2 cents ...

Last edited:

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Dont the newer Dmax motors also have a higher rail/injection pressure?? I may be off but i thought the early motors were supposed to maintain 23k psi while the lmm was up to 26k psi..... This right??

If so wouldn't that extra pressure generate better atomization??

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Yeah I saw that too and thought "Ill bet 5 bucks they are the same darn injectors as the LBZ has"

Dont the newer Dmax motors also have a higher rail/injection pressure?? I may be off but i thought the early motors were supposed to maintain 23k psi while the lmm was up to 26k psi..... This right??

If so wouldn't that extra pressure generate better atomization??

LBZ will hold almost the same as a LMM iirc

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
LBZ injector # 97361355 list $504.10 net $378.07 $100.00 core each
Revised fuel system with new injectors
For 2006, the injector tips have been rotated approximately 35 degrees compared to those on the previous injectors. This re-orientation points one of the seven spray holes directly toward the glow plug, improving the Duramax 6600’s cold-start performance
Each state-of-the-art high-pressure injector has its own solenoid to manage fuel spray, with seven spray points in each injector tip for better fuel vaporization.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LLM injector # 98002368 list $779.12 net $545.39 $100.00 core each
FUEL INJECTORS IMPROVE COMBUSTION CHARACTERISTICS
Sophisticated solenoid injectors are used to precisely control combustion and to take advantage of the cleaner Ultra Low Sulfur fuel federally mandated to be available for all on-road diesel vehicles beginning in the 2007 model year. The injectors have six specially shaped holes, developed by Powertrain engineers to better atomize fuel for complete combustion of the fuel. The injectors are programmed to inject fuel into the combustion chamber at multiple intervals during one compression stroke. By doing this, the combustion event can be tailored to lower emissions and reduce noise at its source.

The million dollar question is wht flows more lbz or lmm and wht does a lbz flow and wht does a lmm flow.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Stock LMM Pulse

LMMSTOCKMAIN.jpg

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Dunno if those help in anyway to see which flows more, LBZ seems to have less PW in the bottom right corner:confused:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
GM "adjusts" that table for corrections to the fueling map.

However,

In general, you can use it to see the differences in injector flow rates. For OEM tunes, an LB7 takes about 1407 msec to inject 100mm of fuel at 160mpa. A LLY takes about 1526. LBZ takes 1584. LMM takes 1610.

It makes me wonder what would happen if you installed LLY sticks (yes they will fit, but you will have to modify the electric plug) in an LMM.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
I find it interesting that GMs cleanest diesel yet has less holes not more. Theory behind more being better is getting eroded IMHO. GM would spend far less money in the long run making injectors with more holes than spending the money on the hardware needed to run 5 injection events. Yet they did bring out more events instead. Makes you wonder about more holes being better thing. Now we come to find the LMM has less holes. Hmmm.:)