5 speed to 6 speed conversion.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I will be pulling my transmission in the near future for a refresh as the current build has around 100k on it and was looking at doing the conversion at the same time. I saw suncoast has a valve body and tuning package for $2300, are there any other more cost effective options?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yes. Hold out a few more months and there will be another addition. If not, guy at SoCal has one I would run

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Yes. Hold out a few more months and there will be another addition. If not, guy at SoCal has one I would run
Can you PM me more info? I would be happy to be a beta tester, I have 10 years experience as a tech and build diesel transmissions almost weekly.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Waiting for Mikes take on it :D
That’s literally the only thing I don’t like about my 05’ is not having that double overdrive :(

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Waiting for Mikes take on it :D
That’s literally the only thing I don’t like about my 05’ is not having that double overdrive :(

I know all about it but can't talk about it yet. The young genius that did this is a friend. Some of the stuff he does is amazing. :thumb:

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Is it going to be a more cost effective option?
Before I had to drive like 200k before I saw a return in savings with the other kits and that was back under the Obama full prices lol

Jun 1, 2012
I never understood, why gm or Allison never made a kit for this....

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I know all about it but can't talk about it yet. The young genius that did this is a friend. Some of the stuff he does is amazing. :thumb:

Ben?

If you're talking about anyone associated with DT, I have to ask....did hell freeze over?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ben?

If you're talking about anyone associated with DT, I have to ask....did hell freeze over?

Not Ben. I know, I knew this would get interesting in here knowing about what Nick has done in the past with the rod situation. This is very hard to explain without saying too much. Trying to figure out what I can give you guys or not. I’ll know more in a little bit :D

Elgavilan

Desert Rat
Aug 28, 2016
Arizona
Will the existing kits or the new kit work with a Mike L built transmission? Just keep Mikes springs in the valve body? I’m very interested in this, since I put 4:30 gears in my lly a couple months ago and it would be great to get the rpms back down when running 75 or 80 on the interstate. I do love the low end now though!

Sent from the Arizona desert

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Cmon guys.... James and Mike are saying the guy behind it is smart..... Pay attention on here and stuff is easy to figure out. It’s that Chavez dude. Can’t remember his screen name exactly but it’s Chavez something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Is it going to be a more cost effective option?
Before I had to drive like 200k before I saw a return in savings with the other kits and that was back under the Obama full prices lol

No matter who does it or how it's it's done at the end of the day it's a 6 speed conversion.....its not that amazing in the 06 and up trucks it came in and the big fuel economy and other benefits aren't going to be there with 5-6 conversion either. For some it may be just what they want but it's nothing I've ever or ever will push when you weigh the cost vs actual results for the majority of people.