4wd conversion

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Well its time, I am going to start rounding up parts to covert my truck to 4wd. I will be using the 261 t-case, and all the other parts will be stock duramax 4wd parts. With some help from chambers and top notch garage hopefully by next season it will be complete.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Well its also related to needing it on occasion outside of racing,long story. And it will be nice on the track. I figured if I do coilovers and other stuff price would add up either way. Hey,im still cheering for all the 2 wheelers!

Wicked Mayhem

LBZ Owner
Oct 27, 2012
From what ive heard youll have to reprogram the ECM for manual transfer case, but not for the electronic one. Im currently doing this swap. I have the majority of the parts. I have a thread in the transmission section.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Matt's truck was actually just dropped off at the shop that is going to do all the work installing the front axle stuff and manual transfer case shifter. I'll be going through his transmission to make sure it's all good and swap the tail housing to a 4wd one and then mount up the transfer case and drive shafts. Hopefully by this time next week, he'll have a 4wd truck.

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
Matt's truck was actually just dropped off at the shop that is going to do all the work installing the front axle stuff and manual transfer case shifter. I'll be going through his transmission to make sure it's all good and swap the tail housing to a 4wd one and then mount up the transfer case and drive shafts. Hopefully by this time next week, he'll have a 4wd truck.

Relocate out put speed sensor to the transfer case instead of tail housing- but the ECM is going to limp when you put it in 4 lo or are you doing some reprogramming?
Had a few requests for 2wd to 4wd conversions but haven't done one myself yet. Was curious about the output speed sensor and ECM/bcm programming... Share if you would josh!:D

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Relocate out put speed sensor to the transfer case instead of tail housing- but the ECM is going to limp when you put it in 4 lo or are you doing some reprogramming?
Had a few requests for 2wd to 4wd conversions but haven't done one myself yet. Was curious about the output speed sensor and ECM/bcm programming... Share if you would josh!:D

Just have to wire up the 4wd low input from the transfer case switch to the input on the TCM/ECM and everything will work fine.

You dont have to do any programming. The 4wd low input is always monitored by the ECM/TCM regardless of if the truck is 2wd or 4wd from the factory...its just never pulled to ground in a 2wd truck (obviously)

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
Just have to wire up the 4wd low input from the transfer case switch to the input on the TCM/ECM and everything will work fine.

You dont have to do any programming. The 4wd low input is always monitored by the ECM/TCM regardless of if the truck is 2wd or 4wd from the factory...its just never pulled to ground in a 2wd truck (obviously)

thanks Ben, I was overthinking that!!

01 Sierra 4.8

Dec 13, 2015
Hey guys, I'm going to be doing a 4wd swap on my 02 dmax in a little while. I have an 01 parts truck with an electronic shift tcase. Truck doesn't have a cab so I'm missing the 4wd buttons and the stuff that would go with the cab.im planning on doing a full drivetrain swap except for motor, what all would I need to make everything work. If anybody could help me out I'd appreciate it

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
If the cab is already missing why not switch yours over?

Only parts you'd need in the cab are the switch panel, and transfer case module. I assume they left the harness with the frame.

01 Sierra 4.8

Dec 13, 2015
I've done all the bushings and cab mounts and painted this frame
Other wise I would switch the cab and motor. The harness from tcase is still there, I noticed there are 2 wires going to the tcm plug what do I do with them I have a line on a switch and harness i can find a tcm anywhere. Need help to make everything work

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH

I've done all the bushings and cab mounts and painted this frame
Other wise I would switch the cab and motor. The harness from tcase is still there, I noticed there are 2 wires going to the tcm plug what do I do with them I have a line on a switch and harness i can find a tcm anywhere. Need help to make everything work

^^^ I assume these wires you're talking about is what Ben mentioned before