4L80e Build for 550hp

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Even as a source to simply buy a rebuild kit? I know you wouldn't say it without a good reason. If I've learned anything, it's listen to those who know more.

I'll try sourcing a kit elsewhere.

I look at shops as two things, how they take care of their customers and the products sold. They could have the best thing in the states to sell but if their customer service is crap, i will do what ever i can to stay away from them.

Jakes has screwed over, not only Brian on here (hondarider559) but 3 other people i know out here in az with LS powered rigs. Brian bought a full th400 trans from him and it didnt hardly last 5 passes with a 800hp LS behind it. They told him to shovel rocks when it was a setup issue from them. The other 3 were, 1 - not what he ordered, 2 - trans was FULL of trash inside and didnt even make it out of the driveway, 3 - ordered parts and got nothing but a run around on waiting on this, still need that, etc for 3 weeks when it was all in stock the moment it was ordered and his card was charged.

There are too many other good companies that sell great parts for the 4L80/5 that i fully recommend buying from before jakes. Id take a Huges trans over jakes and huges aint even that great :roflmao:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I look at shops as two things, how they take care of their customers and the products sold. They could have the best thing in the states to sell but if their customer service is crap, i will do what ever i can to stay away from them.

Jakes has screwed over, not only Brian on here (hondarider559) but 3 other people i know out here in az with LS powered rigs. Brian bought a full th400 trans from him and it didnt hardly last 5 passes with a 800hp LS behind it. They told him to shovel rocks when it was a setup issue from them. The other 3 were, 1 - not what he ordered, 2 - trans was FULL of trash inside and didnt even make it out of the driveway, 3 - ordered parts and got nothing but a run around on waiting on this, still need that, etc for 3 weeks when it was all in stock the moment it was ordered and his card was charged.

There are too many other good companies that sell great parts for the 4L80/5 that i fully recommend buying from before jakes. Id take a Huges trans over jakes and huges aint even that great :roflmao:

Who would you recommend to source 4l80e parts through?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Didnt Josh also get the run-around from Jakes on his trans for the Dumpster, then finally go with another company?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
So far I'm gathering the following:

1) Good triple disk converter (FTI, Circle D, Pro Torque)
2) Sonnax overrun kit (34200-40K)
3) Sonnax "Sure Cure" kit (seems to be AFL, TCC reg, and boost valve all in one package plus some extra) (SC-4L80E)
6) Sonnax line pressure booster kit (4L80E-LB1)
7) Sonnax tool kit for AFL (77754-TL)
8) Dual feed the intermediate clutches internally
9) Rebuild with borg warner high energy clutches

As for the tone wheel question, I am planning on using the adapter kit from 4L80E 4x4 to NP205 from Advance Adapters which includes a tone wheel on the input of the NP205. With that said, I don't think it makes much of a difference which way I handle the rear speed sensor it as long as there is a reliable signal to the Holley ECU/TCU.

Use the transgo afl, not the sonnax. Make sure there kit comes with the "self regulating" boost valve, last I checked there kits did not include it because it's $75 by itself. The overrun kit is only for 97+, it will not work on a 91-96. It's mostly for snow plowers. The HD2 kit isn't all bad. Several have used them, but instead of using the supplied plate, swapped in a regular 4l80e transgo plate, and internally dual feed the directs. If you're not tearing the trans down, it's the only way to easily dual feed the directs. You will also want the direct return springs and intermediate snap ring.

As to the adapter kit, you can use a regular late model GM 205 with stock adapter if you put the reluctor in the trans while it's apart. Sonnax sells them for $37 last I looked. Or if you convert a 2 wheel drive to 4x4 it will already have it. That $37 reluctor can save you the $213 adapter kit, and give you a shorter overall length.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Bringing this back up as the project is FINALLY moving.

Does anyone know of a decent place to buy a rebuild kit with borg high energy frictions?

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I’m not sure if Oregon performance transmission has borg warner high energy frictions. But thats who I’ll get some stuff from when working on older trans. Things are just becoming harder to come by

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Use the transgo afl, not the sonnax. Make sure there kit comes with the "self regulating" boost valve, last I checked there kits did not include it because it's $75 by itself. The overrun kit is only for 97+, it will not work on a 91-96. It's mostly for snow plowers. The HD2 kit isn't all bad. Several have used them, but instead of using the supplied plate, swapped in a regular 4l80e transgo plate, and internally dual feed the directs. If you're not tearing the trans down, it's the only way to easily dual feed the directs. You will also want the direct return springs and intermediate snap ring.

As to the adapter kit, you can use a regular late model GM 205 with stock adapter if you put the reluctor in the trans while it's apart. Sonnax sells them for $37 last I looked. Or if you convert a 2 wheel drive to 4x4 it will already have it. That $37 reluctor can save you the $213 adapter kit, and give you a shorter overall length.
What vehicles would have a good donor NP205? I have no issue buying the reluctor and pressing it onto the rear planet. The trans I have as a base needs to be rebuilt as it was starting to slip from plowing. I'll be doing the overrun kit regardless as I know how this truck will get driven and I would much rather have the peace of mind.

If you know what parts you need, and don't need tech support, I've found decent prices from PATC
Thanks! They offer a Raybestos rebuild kit (AZ34008EAP) that seems to be exactly what I'm after other than the hyd mods. Sure, it won't have an extra friction for the directs but honestly for a ~508hp/580tq BBC the factory 5 friction setup with hyd mods should be more than sufficient from what I'm reading.